• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support your local comic stores!

55 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm sorry, but I think your priorities are way off. With the coming storm, the last thing on one's mind should be spending on  hobbies.  Now is not the time to be rearranging the deck chairs.

Some folks have differing levels of job security, income, etc. If all these local businesses go under, the "storm" will be far worse. We are looking at a bad 3-8 weeks accompanied by the government pumping and printing money. Starbucks in China has reopened. The apocalypse isn't upon us. Guvner Cuomo will get us through this!

Edited by the blob

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

Some folks have differing levels of job security, income, etc. If all these local businesses go under, the "storm" will be far worse. We are looking at a bad 3-8 weeks accompanied by the government pumping and printing money. Starbucks in China has reopened. The apocalypse isn't upon us. Guvner Cuomo will get us through this!

Oh, I had not realized Starbucks had re-opened. That makes it all better.  IF it is a temporary glitch, then any well run business should be able to ride it out. If it isn't, then people are going to regret any non-essential spending.

I'm concerned enough by the panic buying emptying supermarkets over here in the UK, and it's also extended to clothing stores as well.

Some of us don't have cars, the rail network is likely to be reduced to a Sunday-level service and I wouldn't risk a journey into the city, with being coughed on and non-existent social distancing commonplace.  If I still collected new physical copy comics via an LCS, with the logistical, public 'hygiene' and my own personal health issues all combined, I wouldn't consider keeping to the same routine of a weekly, potentially injurious and basically inessential trek downtown. Also, I like to pick my own copies, so I wouldn't be interested in mail order.  

Thankfully, I've gone digital and these complications don't exist anymore.

Edited by Ken Aldred

In Boulder, CO. A week ago, nothing and I mean nothing on the store shelves. No fruit, no vegetables nothing (chips and soda were still available).  Today, fully stocked in all areas except flour, sugar, toilet paper, and liquid dish soap.  Soup was thin but had a reasonable amount of choice, rice, milk, eggs, butter, cheese, meat, etc were all back.  They were limiting the number of chicken and beef items you could buy to three.

9 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

In Boulder, CO. A week ago, nothing and I mean nothing on the store shelves. No fruit, no vegetables nothing (chips and soda were still available).  Today, fully stocked in all areas except flour, sugar, toilet paper, and liquid dish soap.  Soup was thin but had a reasonable amount of choice, rice, milk, eggs, butter, cheese, meat, etc were all back.  They were limiting the number of chicken and beef items you could buy to three.

Glad there's a marked improvement.

I'm a small business owner and have been since  before the Comic Distribution Wars. 

The Federal Government will step in and help your business in a matter of weeks. The odds are you won't be responsible for the rent while you are down nor any of your expenses. Meanwhile your employees will be lucky if they get $2,000 for their lost income. Now is not the time for them to be spending money on hobbies.

Winter is coming.  Perhaps it will be like winter in Florida, but I think it will be more akin to a South Dakota winter.  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  Time to turtle up.

7 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm a small business owner and have been since  before the Comic Distribution Wars. 

The Federal Government will step in and help your business in a matter of weeks. The odds are you won't be responsible for the rent while you are down nor any of your expenses. Meanwhile your employees will be lucky if they get $2,000 for their lost income. Now is not the time for them to be spending money on hobbies.

Winter is coming.  Perhaps it will be like winter in Florida, but I think it will be more akin to a South Dakota winter.  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  Time to turtle up.

Unfortunately when it comes to commercial rules and laws like rent verses the people rules and laws like mortgages and rents are totally skewed towards the people.  As for myself and my employess, being in NYC area, 2k  is less than what they make in 2 weeks and barely covers the rent let alone the other expenses.  the other 6 weeks?....  thats the problem.  But "IF" you can spare the change, then help a local business

Edited by god503

Your LCS may not be able to weather the storm.  If that's the only one in your area, that's the end of comic books for a lot of casual readers.  

Anyone with a subscription service through their LCS should pay for anything that's already waiting in their box.  That's money they put out for you.  If you do not want any more comics, tell them to cancel your subscription so they don't have to order your copy.   

If you are fine continuing with browsing and ordering online/phone, curbside pickup, delivery or mail service, pay for the comics at least monthly.  Tell your LCS to bag them and let it sit for a week before you take possession.  Let the new comics sit for a week more at home before you read them. 

I'm sure publishers are making adjustments to the prices they charge to stores, interest they charge, and making less physical copies of everything. 

18 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I really don't think Dale was asking unemployed people to buy comics either. Although if you ordered stuff you really should be paying for it.

Edited by the blob

11 minutes ago, god503 said:

Unfortunately when it comes to commercial rules and laws like rent verses the people rules and laws like mortgages and rents are totally skewed towards the people.  As for myself and my employess, being in NYC area, 2k  is less than what they make in 2 weeks and barely covers the rent let alone the other expenses.  the other 6 weeks?....  thats the problem.  But "IF" you can spare the change, then help a local business

Commercial landlords may be greedy and evil, but they're not going to be able to evict 4/5th of their tenants, nor would it make sense to do so.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

Commercial landlords may be greedy and evil, but they're not going to be able to evict 4/5th of their tenants, nor would it make sense to do so.

I dont expect it to that extreme considering what is happening, however the law is on the commercial landlord side not the commercial tenant.  where as the private tenants has every single tenement law on there side.  I happen to be also a landlord since i own a 2 family home.  If my tenant decides not to pay the rent, even though they STILL have there jobs, I cant do anything about it, yet I still have to pay my mortgage.  You know what my mortgage servicer said to me today when i called to tell them what is available to me since i am unemployed?  They said i can delay my payments for 3 months, but after that they are due in  a LUMP SUM payment otherwise i get a negative remark on my credit.  Try telling that to a tenant.

Edited by god503