• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support your local comic stores!

55 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I wish I had a local comic shop to support, but we don't have one.  Still supporting my At Your Service subscription service, which is Keith's Comics in the Dallas, Tx area.  And of course, trying to support the sellers on the CGC Boards as much as I can.

Keith's comics is my LCS that I go to most often. With Dallas on virtual lockdown as of last night, all essential business is closed effective tonight. Keith's will be closed tomorrow through April 3rd at least, may end up extended. Keith's sent out an email to buy gift cards over the phone to help them through this time of no sales. Even said with every $40 they'll add $10 to you're gift card....

Not sure how much this affects you Liz, but thought you should know :wishluck:

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

If you had called them two weeks ago, you would have gotten a very different answer, and chances are in two weeks, you'll get another answer.   My car lease was up a few months back and I extended it six months. It's now up April 1st. Last month I was told they wouldn't renew it and I had to buy it or turn it in immediately. Saturday, I got an email offering  a ninety day extension.

I'd love to think the economy is elastic enough to bounce right back, but I'm a realist.

As far as the Comic business goes, Diamond has been a zombie for years. If I still owned a shop, I'd be making whatever plans I could to operate in a post Diamond environment. As it is, I have 2500 square feet of commercial space I need to re-imagine. That's the least of my problems right now. 

New York State, and especially NYC , has insane landlord laws.  Why anyone chooses to be a landlord ,I don't understand. I have a Co-optimal in Jackson Heights that I rent out, but only to close friends. When they move, I'm selling it. Crazy thing is I picked it up for $19,000 and it now rents out for $1500., which is substantially below market. 

$1500 is definitely below market.  If they are smart they will stay there awhile unless they are buying something on their own. 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Keith's comics is my LCS that I go to most often. With Dallas on virtual lockdown as of last night, all essential business is closed effective tonight. Keith's will be closed tomorrow through April 3rd at least, may end up extended. Keith's sent out an email to buy gift cards over the phone to help them through this time of no sales. Even said with every $40 they'll add $10 to you're gift card....

Not sure how much this affects you Liz, but thought you should know :wishluck:

Our commie transplant governor from Californica just locked down our state in a similar fashion.  We'll see how that goes.

Our commie transplant governor from Californica just locked down our state in a similar fashion.  We'll see how that goes.

We have been going up here 5,000+ cases a day the last few. Yesterday just under 16K, now just under 21K. This is serious stuff. On March 17 there were 1374. I know Oregon has not exploded, yet, in part because y'all are less on top of each other. Heck, my teen who was hanging out in the street last week with some local girls and definitely not keeping 6 feet apart has now accepted that he has to stay in for the time being. A week ago he was screaming at me telling me my obese 47 year old lungs had nothing to worry about. Terrible weather today (snowy rain) helped. My mother is in the hospital (not with corona, for now...) and I feel terrible as I am not even allowed to visit.

Edited by the blob

Kate Brown was delaying due to business pressures.  She's no commie.  The insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who overloaded the beaches west of Portland made it so she had to take action.  Clearly, there were too many Oregonians not seeking to protect others and themselves.

22 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Kate Brown was delaying due to business pressures.  She's no commie.  The insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who overloaded the beaches west of Portland made it so she had to take action.  Clearly, there were too many Oregonians not seeking to protect others and themselves.

That's completely true. I am no fan of hers, but Oregon business is mostly small business, and a lot of businesses were pressuring her to stay open. We also had a mass exodus of license plates from Washington and California flooding our south coast area, mostly because we had no reported cases. People were mobbing our grocery stores and hotels. It's gotten to the point where many people have taken to social media to ask them politely (for now) to go back to their homes. Getting crazy out there.

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

1 hour ago, Joshua33 said:

That's completely true. I am no fan of hers, but Oregon business is mostly small business, and a lot of businesses were pressuring her to stay open. We also had a mass exodus of license plates from Washington and California flooding our south coast area, mostly because we had no reported cases. People were mobbing our grocery stores and hotels. It's gotten to the point where many people have taken to social media to ask them politely (for now) to go back to their homes. Getting crazy out there.

One of the local takeout places shut down as one of the food preparers is now a diagnosed case. 

And so begins the end of takeout. 

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I submitted 11 books to CGC through my local comic store on April 16th 2019, and have yet to receive them back.

What was it you were asking again?

Why not submit them yourself? 

10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

you have this in Oregon, so its not all bad:

I feel like the point was lost in translation somewhere.  I don't think the original sentiment was to go out and spend money on hobbies if you're struggling.  I think (as others have stated) it makes sense to support local businesses if you have the financial stability to do so.  If you go out, skip the fast food joint and go to the locally owned restaurant.  McDonald's and KFC will still be there when this is done, but the Italian place you like might not be.  I also think you should go a step further.  I normally don't tip when I do takeout, but ever since the lockdown, i've been tipping $5 (on a $10-$12 take out entree).  Maybe it's all for naught.  Or maybe there's enough of us who can do it to keep another store from going out of business.  From laying off more employees.  From cutting their expenses and so on and so forth.

South Africa is getting shutdown for 21 days starting Thursday, so will give me one last visit to the LCS. Luckily my LCS has a pretty good online presence on Facebook with daily auctions and their website is up to date with new books and upcoming one so should be easy to continue supporting them through their online store and then pick up after the shutdown.