• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very newbie question about bags and boards

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I have an enquiry about the correct sizing of a lot of comic books I have. They are called 'Secrets of the Unknown' 'Creepy' etc, they were published in the UK by Alan Class & Co. Ltd and measure 18cm wide x 23.3cm long. Would you be able to tell me what bags and boards I'd need to put these in? Many thanks and kindest regards. Mark

Welcome To The Boards!!!

The best I can tell according to your specs of 18 cm x 23.3 cm (7 3/32" x 9 11/64") the proper bag/mylite/board would be "Regular",

• Golden Age: 7 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches (19.7 x 26.7 cm). This size accommodates Golden Age comics from 1943 up to Silver Age comics published in 1960.
  • Silver Age: 7 1/8 x 10 1/2 inches (18.1 x 26.7 cm). This size accommodates some late Golden Age comics published in 1951 as well as Silver Age comics published as late as 1965, including annuals and 80-page giants published during that period.
  • Regular: 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 inches (18.4 x 26.7 cm). This size accommodates comics published after 1965, including the late Silver Age and Bronze Age comics of the 1970s to mid-1980s.
  • Current: 6 7/8 x 10 1/2 inches (17.5 x 26.7 cm). This size accommodates comics published since 1990.

5 hours ago, Poltergeist said:

Hello, I have an enquiry about the correct sizing of a lot of comic books I have. They are called 'Secrets of the Unknown' 'Creepy' etc, they were published in the UK by Alan Class & Co. Ltd and measure 18cm wide x 23.3cm long. Would you be able to tell me what bags and boards I'd need to put these in? Many thanks and kindest regards. Mark

Bags for regular comics are thus broken into the following sizes:
  • Golden Age: 7 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches (19.7 x 26.7 cm). ...
  • Silver Age: 7 1/8 x 10 1/2 inches (18.1 x 26.7 cm). ...
  • Regular: 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 inches (18.4 x 26.7 cm). ...
  • Current: 6 7/8 x 10 1/2 inches (17.5 x 26.7 cm).

edit:  looks like MM hit return before I did ;  you got 2 replies with the same info so we must be right!

Edited by csaag
add info

6 hours ago, Poltergeist said:

Hello Poltergeist :)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for mentioning the words 'Alan' and 'Class'. They're not words we hear too often around these parts.

There are no bags currently available that are tailor made for these books. I use Golden Age bags and boards myself. They fit the width, but of course leave a gap at the top like so:

Scan.thumb.jpg.0bc095c9fa8d654b37cbcb74c478e190.jpg

No way around that alas.

You can buy pleasingly sturdy boards, and resealable bags from this chap on the Bay of E:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-RESEALABLE-GOLDEN-AGE-SIZE-COMIC-BAGS-TO-FIT-U-S-COMICS-PRE-1960/153674239569?hash=item23c7b2ce51:g:4EEAAOxymcdRgUi7

I can't attest to the archival properties, but I use them myself for my Dells and Alans.

Good luck and do come back with your thoughts at some point. Pictures of Alans are also always welcome :)