• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cgc 9.0 vs. 6.0 SS (Adams)

16 posts in this topic

Same price, etc.... Not a key, early BA, Neal Adams cover/sig.

What would you buy?

I'm not a signature hound, but he's a legend and obviously someone I grew up loving his art. I don't mind having some sigs.

Edited by the blob

Depends on if I had an ss'd neal Adam's in my collection already. I'd go with the 9.0 of a key, but a non key then its debatable...

Whether you just want an authenticated sig or not, even then I might hold out for something higher than 6.0 but idk

I have several low grade keys that are ss'd and wish not to mark a high grade copy etc, so I see why the 6.0 is signed

Weigh the good and bad, hopefully my list of good and bad helps ...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

56 minutes ago, the blob said:

It's an Adams book and not a nothing book, so it is desirable, but I wouldn't call it a key

Then go with the 9.0 blue label lol

For bronze that is a something book, a 9.0

A 6.0 ss'd is cool but seems a little meh

Idk, follow your gut 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Then go with the 9.0 blue label lol

For bronze that is a something book, a 9.0

A 6.0 ss'd is cool but seems a little meh

Idk, follow your gut 

Probably not getting either though... Adams is not a young guy, but he has been signing like crazy....

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Probably not getting either though... Adams is not a young guy, but he has been signing like crazy....

I've dabbled. Wanting a Sig is fun, even better when you don't "have to meet the person." Idk, but there are still some people that I want their signature series but I don't feel the need to meet them to get it....

They're always on my list, and at the right time, book and Sig placement, I'll get them...

I did actually meet Neal Adams in person, which was a hoot and a half, but I got it personalized on a print, so I still want a signature series....

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've dabbled. Wanting a Sig is fun, even better when you don't "have to meet the person." Idk, but there are still some people that I want their signature series but I don't feel the need to meet them to get it....

They're always on my list, and at the right time, book and Sig placement, I'll get them...

I did actually meet Neal Adams in person, which was a hoot and a half, but I got it personalized on a print, so I still want a signature series....

I met Neal Adams at the NYC Art Expo, not a comic con, so he was pretty pleasant as he was not dealing with a bunch of signature grubbing fanboys, but rather, general art collectors who may not have been that aware of him as a comic legend per se. Didn't ask him to sign anything though.

My preference would be the blue label 9.0 over the 6.0 SS. Too much grade difference for me personally. 

If it were a 7.0 or 7.5 blue label vs. 6.0 SS, I'd consider the 6.0 SS. 

This is also coming from someone who doesn't collect comic related sigs but has a bunch of sports autographs.

Without knowing the book, my gut reaction would be to buy the blue 9.0.

I know Adams charges a premium to sign SS books, and I’m not an expert on the SS economy, but a blue CGC 9.0 price tag for a 6.0 SS seems high to me. 

I would think you could get a nicer condition copy - maybe up to an 8.0 - SS for the price of a blue 9.0. 

If the 6.0 presents well I would possibly consider it but again, I would think the point of buying a 6.0 SS would be to get a bit of discount, not pay a premium. 

I’m not huge into SS but I do have a couple and I understand wanting an Adams SS book. I have one as well - the Batman Power Records book, probably the only Adams comic I actually owned as a kid as most of his comic work was just a bit before my time. 

Edited by Number 6

18 hours ago, the blob said:

It's an Adams book and not a nothing book, so it is desirable, but I wouldn't call it a key

Desirable Bronze-Age Adams book...

9.0 would look very nice IMO

6.0SS for a non-key (but a desirable book), not that desirable to me.

I bet it's harder to find that BA Adams book in 9.0 than to find that book in 6.0 and get it signed/slabbed.

You have us intrigued about what book it is though! :bigsmile:

The SS is priced around what it cost to enslabulate and get his sig. The book is "free"... Honestly, I am just trying to figure out how to evaluate the SS books and it seems there is no formula

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

The SS is priced around what it cost to enslabulate and get his sig. The book is "free"... Honestly, I am just trying to figure out how to evaluate the SS books and it seems there is no formula

If you are getting it at a discount to blue label + Adams fee plus slabbing cost AND it is a book you want, the SS is a no brainer. I would almost always take the 9.0 blue however for most books.  6.0 is just going to be too rough for my tastes. The vast majority of my personal Adams SS were 8.5-9.2.

You can take your time on Adams SS books, there is a robust supply.

Neal set up at the Tidewater Comicon a couple years ago when I was helping a friend set up and I had a Dealer's Pass. I probably spent a half hour chatting with him before the show opened and LOVED it.... he was my idol back in the day.... along with Kirby, Wrightson, and Frazetta. Judy wanted a sig on her GL/GA 86, but she's like me and prefers them on the splash. He charged 50 bucks IIRC, if I were you, I'd find the perfect book for you and have it done yourself. It will mean more to you. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

The first Wizard Las Vegas show was a complete and utter failure, but it gave me a chance to have three different extended conversations with him. He wasn't charging for signatures, but he'd only sign what you bought from him. He had some wild prints and I spent much more at his booth than I would have imagined. We actually had a prolonged conversation on which poses of toy soldiers were the best and why they included so many lame poses in the sets.

I'm not a big fan of SS books, but if it is a common book, I'd go SS over 9.0.

Stay Safe.

Edited by shadroch

Neal has been my favorite artist since I was a kid.  I met him a few years ago at ECCC and spent a ton of time with him, like Jimbo.  He was awesome.  I had him sign a few of my favorite books that I kept raw.  I didn't care about not getting them encapsulated as SS.  You can't make a mistake, just go with your gut 

1 hour ago, Bat34 said:

Neal has been my favorite artist since I was a kid.  I met him a few years ago at ECCC and spent a ton of time with him, like Jimbo.  He was awesome.  I had him sign a few of my favorite books that I kept raw.  I didn't care about not getting them encapsulated as SS.  You can't make a mistake, just go with your gut 

I picked up an uncommon giveaway from Bedrock that was thought to be his early work. I brought it with me and showed it to him... it was for a company named Tandy Leather and was called "Adventures in Leather". He saw it and said, "Wow... I haven't seen that in years. I was maybe 19 when I did that". I didn't get it autographed though.... it's immaculate and has a paper cover. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12