• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No New Comics
1 1

69 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

God, I'm really not sure what this is going to do for the industry.

What's the point with half or more of the shops getting closed? Give it a pause for a month or two. Maybe a month in isolation will result in some incredible creativity.

Probably a minority opinion, but aside from the potential loss of the LCS I think I'm okay if the medium moves to digital and TPBs. The output of monthly comics, especially from Marvel and DC, is bloated and the glut of variants and constant events were already slowly killing the industry. Digital/TPBs might be a purer form of the medium that might allow it to go back to basics.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't worry about comics as a medium.  I know it will continue on in some format.  My bigger concern is comics as a paper format.  I really enjoy reading a physical copy of a book as opposed to a digital one.  It's already a very tough industry for comic shops, I only hope that this isn't the death knell of floppies as we know it.  If the medium continues on purely as digital and TPB's, it'll be a sad thing indeed.

I'm not sure how pumping 1-6 more weeks of releases into a quarantined market will save the floppy. It may kill it faster.

Unprecedented?

In terms of books I hope it elevates and rewards the quality books and puts an end to the manipulation/abuse by the publishers while rewarding the LCS. Diamond has not been helping especially in aiding ecommerce sales.

We'll lose a decent portion of month to month surviving LCS's which I don't like. 

If it gets worse, what do you think the future of floppies will look like?

How different is this situation than the 90's crash?

smh

3 minutes ago, KolmarAvenue said:

Unprecedented?

In terms of books I hope it elevates and rewards the quality books and puts an end to the manipulation/abuse by the publishers while rewarding the LCS. Diamond has not been helping especially in aiding ecommerce sales.

We'll lose a decent portion of month to month surviving LCS's which I don't like. 

If it gets worse, what do you think the future of floppies will look like?

How different is this situation than the 90's crash?

smh

Totally different. The 90s were caused by a glut. We don't really have a glut here. I am not so sure so many LCS close up unless they were on the brink anyway. If they were paying their rent in the past, why would their landlords not work with them? It's not like there is a ton of retail looking to move in.  If they were constantly behind, probably not. there is a lot of retail space out there, I think the landlords on average are going to be smarter. And I don't think comic shops are the kinds of places people will be scared to go back to. crowded bars, clubs, maybe movie theatres, flights....

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I'm not sure how pumping 1-6 more weeks of releases into a quarantined market will save the floppy. It may kill it faster.

I think this entire thing (corona/quarantine) has resulted in a lot of companies re-evaluating costs and efficiencies to better prepare themselves should such an event occur again.  Playboy has already announced that the Spring issue will be the last for 2020 and there is speculation that it might be the final print issue as they focus on other revenue streams (and yes, I realize their print numbers were probably low to begin with).  With publishers pushing digital platforms in the last 10 years, perhaps this is the catalyst that makes them re-evaluate their distribution strategy.  I'm not sure what the revenue numbers look like and how profitable various aspects of the business are, but if the paper medium shows that it is more susceptible to market events as compared to digital, that seems to be a valid reason for higher ups to at least consider alternatives more so than they would have previously.  And what about Diamond?  Do they have enough of a runway to survive a prolonged shutdown of the comic market?

I don't think this will be the end of floppies.  The Amazon Kindle and Apple iPad haven't ended paperback books.  CD sales continue to trudge along despite digital music being available for two decades.  I think it's fair to say floppies will survive, but will they have a smaller footprint?  Or who knows, maybe you're right, maybe this will save floppies.  Maybe we'll see fewer variant covers as a result, lower print runs, and just higher quality books in general.  (shrug)

49 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Anyone who think these lockdowns will last less than 8 weeks is naive.

Anyone who thinks these lockdowns can go on as long as 8 weeks is crazy. It's not sustainable for that long. We, both the private and public we, cannot be propped up for that long  without major damage being done.

I don't think anyone will go much longer than March 31st before things happen. What those things are, we cannot discuss here further. But 8 weeks in lockdown is not going to happen.

:screwy:

-slym