• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Sick of TV/Movies Already? What Games Are You Playing?

26 posts in this topic

Combine having seen a bunch with difficulty finding things 4 different people want to watch, I find my videogame time is going up.  Even before the lockdowns, I joined XBox GamePass.  Good value there I think.  I spent hours playing Outer Worlds, which I never would have bought standalone.  Spent 30 minutes playing Outer Wilds which I just don't get, thankfully without paying for the standalone. 

I've recently gone back to RDR2 and I can predict many, many hours grinding this one.  At times, I have to simply stop and admire what they did here.  The scenery is amazing.  The AI, especially with animals, is really cool.  But the visuals are just stunning in places and the small touches are everywhere.  Two examples.  As I was riding a horse down a hill, I bumped a flat rock loose.  It slid all the way down the hill, just as the physics would predict.  It didn't tumble or stop immediately or go on forever.  Second example was after killing a man, I made camp and spent the night down the way.  The next day I was riding back past the site where it happened and there were vultures at the body.  

I read a review for Half-Life: Alyx.  I almost wish I had a PC VR setup.  It sounds really cool.  https://kotaku.com/half-life-alyx-the-kotaku-review-1842446543

So what are you playing and are you playing more or less than normal?

We still haven't burned through the movies or shows we're interested in yet, so no one has experienced a shift to more game time. We don't have a fancy system or gaming computer and most games are played by the younger Pontoon. However, he has rekindled an interest in Minecraft and wants mom and pop to join so at some point I plan to install it on a secondary computer and get gaming on the kitchen table.

I still only have a PS3, and can wait until the PS5 arrives,  when hopefully I can then catch up with PS4 generation titles via backwards compatibility.

For now, just playing through the best of my PS3 collection one last time.

Just finished the Dishonored Game of the Year Edition, which includes the Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches DLC.  Excellent stealth game.

I tend to select three games at a time, so these are next in line...

- Infamous 1 - third person super-hero action game

- Batman Arkham Asylum 

- Uncharted 1 - which I'll attempt to beat again on Crushing difficulty level.  Not too bad actually, there are just a few deliberately frustrating set pieces, here and there.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 hours ago, Rodey said:

I've been playing Witcher 3.

That's one I'm looking forward to playing.

I can't see myself doing Skyrim again.  After dozens and dozens of damage-sponge dragons and Draugr-infested tombs, it ends up feeling quite samey and boring.  Terrible final boss battle as well.

Much better, more engaging, chained combat system in Kingdoms of Amalur.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I can recommend Detroit: Become Human (last game I played), if you enjoy narrative driven games this is the best one I've played since Heavy Rain.

I just bought Jedi Fallen Order and Terminator Resistance but still have quite a few piled up I haven't played yet.

5B44A832-32AB-4A5A-BF30-3E5F75B512F4.thumb.jpeg.7a9969560e6fea4ebddf4e5d7d2b8458.jpeg

I heard good things about Detroit: Become Human when it came out.  Up next for me (about 70% through the RDR2 story) is Witcher 3 free on the XBox Game Pass.

Just a heads up:  Uncharted, the Nathan Drake Collection is free in the PS store right now.  So is Journey, which I don't know much about but seems to be a puzzle type (maybe Myst-ish) game. 

I’ve been living in hotels for over a year now as I travel for work so I can’t drag along a game system as much as I’d like to. I don’t play computer games either since I have no need for a laptop.  My job doesn’t require significant computing power so I can do everything on my iPad with a wireless keyboard and pencil. So my workstation is my only game station as well when paired with an xbox controller. Older games that I’m nostalgic about play better here than they did back in the day. For example, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Bully just look and play smoother after they revamped them a bit for IOS. Newer games like Call of Duty are just amazing considering my tablet is just running off a phone chip. Apple has never made the best phone (except for the first iphone) but I gotta hand it to them for their tablets.

9124BB09-D2A2-41D7-8B5D-209D7ACE03ED.jpeg

I've played Titanfall 2, Spider-Man, Jedi Fallen, and now have been playing Division 2.  $3 for the core was worth it to try it out.  Ended up getting the WONY expansion just as well.  It has different levels of toughness and the higher levels are frustratingly challenging (a good thing, even though my cussing doesn't always equate to that).