• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man #1 Chromium...guide vs. market value

16 posts in this topic

Ok, so as my want list in my sig notes, I'm looking for a Chromium 'Distributor's Edition' of Spider-Man #1. Now, Overstreet doesn't include the book in their guide (neither in the regular or 'promotional' sections. ComicsPriceGuide (which I tend to find a bit off when it comes to valuing comics) lists the book at $20.00 in 9.4.

Now, the only other resource I really have for finding how much a comic is worth is checking out various sites and seeing what they're actually selling for. ComicLink doesn't have any currently for sale. Neither does Heritage. However, eBay has one current auction, and a handful of completed auctions.

It seems that people have been paying over $60 for raw copies and over $100 for slabbed copies 9.4 and higher.

So what am I to believe, that this comic truly is worth what people are paying on eBay, or are eBay sellers just putting one over on buyers and overinflating the price of the comic (kind of like selling a non-UPC Gold Spider-Man #1 for $200 when OS puts it at $5)??

It is in Overstreet. The Chromium reprints are known as "Marvel Collectible Classics" and all 9 of the issues are listed at $10. The only one I've seen actually sell for anything ($100-200!! 893whatthe.gif) is the ASM 300, though. I own a few of the X-Men ones that I got for about $5 each.

I wouldn't go so far as to say people are stupid, but it is just a reprint.

This books are beautiful and very limited. Given only to dealers as I recall. I have only ever seen one at a comic store in my life and I bought it. ASM 300. Very much in demand in Denver.

ALL of the MCC issues are stupid and not even close to being worth buying. Just my opinioin. I have owned and sold all of them. Total garbage. What irates me is that everyone sells the MCC Spider-Man #1 (ASM 300 reprint) on ebay as simply Amazing Spider-Man 300 chromium variant. Talk about keyword spamming. mad.gif

Ah, Duh! foreheadslap.gif

I've looked at the CGC label and seen the "Marvel Collectible Classics #2" right there....it never occured to me to look for it in overstreet under that title.

Any time you can't find a book in Overstreet, make sure you check the "official" title in the indicia on the bottom of the first interior page (the fine print). The problem you're having will almost always be a misunderstanding as to the official title.

It's worth what people are willing to pay....regardless of how stupid they are.

Not really, as there are sellers ripping people off by calling this MCC Spider-Man #1 an Amazing Spider-Man 300 Chromium Variant. That leads newbie specs to believe it's a real ASM 300, and not a recent reprint, and is the same rip-off as these chumps selling Action #1 or Detective #27 reprints as the real thing.

This issue is worth very little, and only by fraudulently disguising it as an ASM 300 Variant can the newbs be fooled into paying high prices for it.

Well that is funny see wizard list them as chromium editions under the original issue. And they list them at pretty much what they are worth. Fact is some of them were low print runs even though they are reprints. and even though they aren't 1st print. Try finding an asm 300 cgc 9.8 for 300 to 400 hundred. Fact is these are sharp they are a variant and even though they are expensive it is still cheaper than buying a regular asm 300 in 9.8.

This topic is actually very similar to the "limited edition" craze in sportcards last decade.

At one point, limited edition versions of 1990s baseball cards featuring Nolan Ryan

were more valuable (in the guide) than his 1968 rookie card. Why? They were "limited".

Listing for over $1,500 at one point... a 1993 Nolan Ryan "upstaged" the original.

(Coincidentally, they were also chromium cards.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=5243187248

(The card still has market value, but after 12 years, this "investment" lost 70%.)

When a reprint, especially one created decades later, can be limited "enough"

to equal or outweigh the original in the market, it is not going to be universally accepted.

Additionally,

If the 1998 reprint of ASM #300 was limited to 1,000,

there's no reason the 2008 reprint couldn't be limited to 100.

The 2018 reprint could even be limited 10. Where does it end?

It ends when the entire market refuses to reward reprints with exorbitant "value".

Until that happens, each collector has to make the call for themselves.

Being misled into believing a reprint is original, however, is extremely unfortunate.

Well that is funny see wizard list them as chromium editions under the original issue.

That's because they're stupid and lazy. It's obvious that the comic in question is NOT an Amazing Spider-man #300 (just look at the indicia or the CGC label) and Wizard is just propogating the scam by not wanting to list it properly and alphabetically.

Either that or Shamus has a few cratefuls he's selling off on EBay. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif