• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking hammer results during the COVID-19 pandemic
5 5

217 posts in this topic

Curious? Here's a look at select auction results. Knowing me, I won't keep this up, but hey, not like I have much else to do right now. Except work. And parent.

I no longer use GPA, so my comparison for FMV is from GoCollect. Generally, I selected books that were likely to land over $1,000, were exceptional copies, or which trade frequently. If someone wants to add GPA data, DM me. I'd be curious to see that column added. For the Gold lots in ComicLink, GoCo won't have much information, but I may record the hammers anyhow.

Anyhow: the data.

UPDATE (04 Apr 2020):

I doubt that I will capture any more data from the current ComicLink auction. Here are captured results through last night. The remaining night of comics lots includes "assorted." There are always some keys and such there, usually lower grade copies of ones offered on the preceding days, but it's mostly less desirable stuff.

Here are some observations and thoughts after watching this.

1. This is obviously a very limited dataset. It's not the complete auction. It's only one auction. It's an auction during a period of high economic uncertainty. And the data I captured was loosely defined.
  2. I looked for frequently traded books, only blue label books, high dollar books, and books generally accepted as keys or having some other collector significance.
  3. Since I was using GoCollect for a FMV comparison, I did not capture results from the Golden Age nights since GoCo seldom has a FMV determination for these comics.
  4. I watched most of these results live, and the folks who complain about sniping on CLink have reason to complain. Almost all of them had bids in the closing seconds.
  5. For high quantity books (think a book where you'll see a 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, and possibly additional lower grade copies for sale), the bargains were often on the 9.4. I am defining bargain here as the copy that was percentage-wise the most below GoCollect's FMV.
  6. The average % change was about -12%. That number was very consistent throughout. Only last night did it actually drop under 12%, to 11.88%. Prices seemed obviously depressed but not bottomed out.
  7. Of the 331 lots, 61 hammered at or above FMV. 
Edited by DavidTheDavid

Thought that prices on ASM Silver was around where they usually are.  Things are not going to increase every month you know... 

People are still spending strongly with certain things. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Thought that prices on ASM Silver was around where they usually are.  Things are not going to increase every month you know... 

People are still spending strongly with certain things. 

Did I miss the part where I drew conclusions?

It's a snapshot. I assume most people here can make an intelligent read of the data.

Just now, DavidTheDavid said:

Did I miss the part where I drew conclusions?

It's a snapshot. I assume most people here can make an intelligent read of the data.

Did you see anywhere in that post I made that I quoted you?   So... ease up there. 

You need to seriously slow your roll there big guy.

Maybe you need to take a walk outside and get some fresh air or something. 

Make sure you know THIS TIME that this is directed to you there David.

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You need to seriously slow your roll there big guy.

Maybe you need to take a walk outside and get some fresh air or something. 

Make sure you know THIS TIME that this is directed to you there David.

I get it. Clarity of expression is not for everyone. No harm, no foul. :baiting: :foryou: 

Nah there is plenty of foul especially with that comment. 

I figure that any one of any rational sense would have realized that I was responding to JollyComics who posted "Three words: COVID-19 and Sales Tax."  That was the comment that insinuated that prices were soft.   I was spectating tonight and noticed that a book I am always looking to pick up multiples of hammered at a pretty strong price.   When I looked at other ASM's they also seemed to be around the average.   So despite Covid-19 and Sales Tax, I feel as if the prices were still strong. 

Yet, I guess you think it's all about you.   So with that said, say what you want, and go have a snickers or something. 

We could continue this back and forth but we all know it's not going to go anywhere.  You have made your mind up. 

But yeah, wasn't about you.  So take a walk away from me for the rest of the evening. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Nah there is plenty of foul especially with that comment. 

I figure that any one of any rational sense would have realized that I was responding to JollyComics who posted "Three words: COVID-19 and Sales Tax."  That was the comment that insinuated that prices were soft.   I was spectating tonight and noticed that a book I am always looking to pick up multiples of hammered at a pretty strong price.   When I looked at other ASM's they also seemed to be around the average.   So despite Covid-19 and Sales Tax, I feel as if the prices were still strong. 

Yet, I guess you think it's all about you.   So with that said, say what you want, and go have a snickers or something. 

We could continue this back and forth but we all know it's not going to go anywhere.  You have made your mind up. 

But yeah, wasn't about you.  So take a walk away from me for the rest of the evening. 

people need to remember Buzz has seen **** on the subway (literally) that would curl your toenails.

3 minutes ago, Comical Situations said:

Thank you for putting this together.  It is interesting to see the results across a swath of books, and I appreciate the time and effort it took you! (thumbsu

It's rather incomplete. I'd love a bot to scrape the entire results over the course of a year. Not sure about the legalities of such things though. ¬¬