• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking hammer results during the COVID-19 pandemic
5 5

217 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Sometimes that's the best time to buy. (shrug)

The general public panics and some people will money start buying.

It's how the free markets have been working since time began and it's how some people become wealthy.

It's the famous scene from "It's a Wonderful Life" when there's a run on the S&L, folks want to sell out to Potter, and George calms the panic by asking people "Why's Potter buying?"

Roy nailed down all options perfectly. Panic and need sellers hooking up with accommodating buyers. 
If you need something vital and your comic books are all you have to sell, then yes do it, no fault there. However panic sell? All that’s happening is a conversion. So now you are getting a check that you’ll likely be spending before you get it. Stashing cash is no guarantee to be the wisest move either. I know there are miles of threads about how eBay stinks, but brother it may be your life blood as we try to survive this. For eBay I am most grateful. No job and my store of nonessentials was ordered closed yesterday until....

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I posted this in the SA Forum.

We live in a time when information moves as fast as light and people's attention spans and reactions are highly exaggerated because of it.

Markets swing with force and ferocity and in a wider range than anyone expects.

Zooming out the lens offers perspective and the further out you zoom the more perspective you have. Zooming in to today's news offers very little perspective.

Some people will either panic sell or sell because they feel they need to. Others will hold and some I know are buying like crazy now.

tly 

2 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Roy nailed down all options perfectly. Panic and need sellers hooking up with accommodating buyers. 
If you need something vital and your comic books are all you have to sell, then yes do it, no fault there. However panic sell? All that’s happening is a conversion. So now you are getting a check that you’ll likely be spending before you get it. Stashing cash is no guarantee to be the wisest move either. I know there are miles of threads about how eBay stinks, but brother it may be your life blood as we try to survive this. For eBay I am most grateful. No job and my store of nonessentials was ordered closed yesterday until....

tly 

Your inventory is very diverse though.  Are you allowed to work IN your store to have access to everything so you can at least go strictly mail order?

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Your inventory is very diverse though.  Are you allowed to work IN your store to have access to everything so you can at least go strictly mail order?

Sure just like everyone else, we all have stuff we can sell, boats, cars houses, jets, but the end game is all a little to unclear for most. Myself included 

Just now, Junkdrawer said:

Sure just like everyone else, we all have stuff we can sell, boats, cars houses, jets, but the end game is all a little to unclear for most. Myself included 

I was asking more along the lines of what Massachusetts is doing.  I would never suggest having a firesale.  Are you allowed in your own store during this time period?  Here in NY, at least by me, closed is 'closed'.  Having bought from you over eBay, (before I knew you were you) I would imagine that a lot of the things that you have sold online are kept at the store.   Can you at least keep that going on in the meantime?  

There is a local store around here that seems to have closed their eBay presence as well since it seems that they are not operating out of their own store in any capacity.   I do not know if something like that is voluntary or mandated. 

14 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Currently I can be here. It’s my on happy place. 

image.jpg

I used to bring home street signs as a kid :insane: 

There was an uprooted and lying on the ground Handicapped sign on a pole behind a major grocery store, that's the one that started it all...... thank God when I moved out my parents were able to return stuff to the city with no problem oye

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I used to bring home street signs as a kid :insane: 

There was an uprooted and lying on the ground Handicapped sign on a pole behind a major grocery store, that's the one that started it all...... thank God when I moved out my parents were able to return stuff to the city with no problem oye

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

It looks like that you are focusing on key issues only.

Keys, bigger dollar books, books that trade often. No conserved or restored. Common books won't have FMV on GoCo that I can find. Plus, I'm not going to frantically try to collect results from each auction. I'm playing games and tabbing back and forth. :) 

18 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Keys, bigger dollar books, books that trade often. No conserved or restored. Common books won't have FMV on GoCo that I can find. Plus, I'm not going to frantically try to collect results from each auction. I'm playing games and tabbing back and forth. :) 

Look like CL is not a happy camper.

Just now, JollyComics said:

Look like CL is not a happy camper.

Hard to say without complete results, but if it's indicative of the entire auction, which is certainly plausible, then ya, probably quite a few people not crazy about it.

Do they go ahead with the Featured Auction coming up or delay it? I guess you just have to roll on, keep the dollars moving.

25 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Hard to say without complete results, but if it's indicative of the entire auction, which is certainly plausible, then ya, probably quite a few people not crazy about it.

Do they go ahead with the Featured Auction coming up or delay it? I guess you just have to roll on, keep the dollars moving.

My friend works at CL.  He always tells me if they have good or bad days.  Recently Featured Auction was OK.  I lost nearly 50% on my two books last month at CL and hope my other 93 books will cover my loss this month.

They couldn't do anything if COVID-19 occurs.

Edited by JollyComics

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

My friend works at CL.  He always tells me if they have good or bad days.  Recently Featured Auction was OK.  I lost nearly 50% on my two books last month at CL and hope my other 93 books will cover my loss this month.

They couldn't do anything if COVID-19 occurs.

I lost on the three I bid on.

7 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

image.jpg

I'm actually still trying to return this.  Don't know if it was from Cave Junction or Redmond or North Cascades.  Someone brought it to my office, as they know I used to be one back in the day.

R6.jpg.2af1ac686ea23a4b07c97487f3f437d4.jpg

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Would have to think a lot of books are going to be pulled for April auctions. 

14 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

It's rather incomplete. I'd love a bot to scrape the entire results over the course of a year. Not sure about the legalities of such things though. ¬¬

Yes, it would appear that there wasn't a single GA book in the entire list of results which you provided to us in your link.  :o

So, I am not sure if this simply means that this particular CL auction is devoid of any GA books or not?  (shrug)