• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking hammer results during the COVID-19 pandemic
5 5

217 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

image.jpg

34 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm actually still trying to return this.  Don't know if it was from Cave Junction or Redmond or North Cascades.  Someone brought it to my office, as they know I used to be one back in the day.

R6.jpg.2af1ac686ea23a4b07c97487f3f437d4.jpg

20140814_152348.thumb.jpg.597cdd569967c91ed83f290d106c36a7.jpg

When I was attending the University of Illinois (Champagne-Urbana) my freshman year (1984-85), I found this sign that fell off the wall in one of the chemistry buildings. Sold it on Ebay for a few bucks but I had that thing for 30+ years first.

Not sure where I picked up this other sticker but it was at U of I

20140903_233519.thumb.jpg.d657b6e5c8a492eec1460ae080609aaf.jpg

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, it would appear that there wasn't a single GA book in the entire list of results which you provided to us in your link.  :o

So, I am not sure if this simply means that this particular CL auction is devoid of any GA books or not?  (shrug)

That session hasn't occurred yet. GoCo probably won't have FMV on gold books anyway, not enough trade volume.

Still not seeing anything I'd call much of a deal on what I am looking for.

The CL auction that ended yesterday had some nice Neal Adams Batman stuff I was bidding on and they all sold for decent amounts.

Batman 232 9.0 sold for 650 while a book of that grade sold for 660 last year. I wouldn't call 10$ much of a drop.

27 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Still not seeing anything I'd call much of a deal on what I am looking for.

The CL auction that ended yesterday had some nice Neal Adams Batman stuff I was bidding on and they all sold for decent amounts.

Batman 232 9.0 sold for 650 while a book of that grade sold for 660 last year. I wouldn't call 10$ much of a drop.

Depends on the book, doesn't it? 

This guy is happy. 

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

20200326_065712.jpg

Don't laugh they needed those signs.  Back when they put the hand-washing stations in the round in arenas and stadiums in the 1970s guys thought it was just a big urinal. They had never seen that before.  They had been to bars that had long troughs for urinals, so this was almost the same idea.  I'd go to concerts and I would always see guys taking a whiz in those sinks.

One thing I have wondered about GPA is the rise and fall of books considering trends in collecting. 

When I was a kid I saw a great emphasis on creators increasing the value of the book.  These days it seems to have adopted the viewpoint of baseball cards and rookies (1st appearances) are what people are striving to obtain.   As this trend continues I would not be surprised to see that values for "The first Neal Adams" book or first Adams on title stay the same or decrease over time as first appearances of even minor characters continue to rise in value. 

Does anyone have comparative data on that? 

5 hours ago, bababooey said:

20200326_065712.jpg

I'm glad they don't have that sign in most places.

image.thumb.png.bc63f2201926a2a42d7f76d018858975.png

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

I know that.  Make it safe:  1 word for COVID-19, 2 words for Sale Tax.  I used to type 2 words but I changed to 3 words.

I’m sure you do know but poking fun at you anyways because the addition of the ‘and’ makes it ambiguous ;)

Sometimes I think these sale results just come down to people being weirdos.  If you've seen my Doctor Strange collection you know I'm trying to build the whole Volume 1 run in 9.4 White pages, so I had my eyes closely on these two books.
Last week on Heritage a 9.4W sold for $180, and yesterday on comiclink a 9.4 W/OW Sold for $125.  Do white pages designate a $55 or 40%+ premium?  I'm gonna say no.  I was also the losing bidder on the heritage book, but did not bid on the comiclink book.  All it takes is one person (Me in this case) to swing the bid wildly - all on a book nobody really cares about, as I'm just a run collector and this is not a speculation pick.
:(

pStaik5.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

24 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Sometimes I think these sale results just come down to people being weirdos.  If you've seen my Doctor Strange collection you know I'm trying to build the whole Volume 1 run in 9.4 White pages, so I had my eyes closely on these two books.
Last week on Heritage a 9.4W sold for $180, and yesterday on comiclink a 9.4 W/OW Sold for $125.  Do white pages designate a $55 or 40%+ premium?  I'm gonna say no.  I was also the losing bidder on the heritage book, but did not bid on the comiclink book.  All it takes is one person (Me in this case) to swing the bid wildly - all on a book nobody really cares about, as I'm just a run collector and this is not a speculation pick.

pStaik5.jpg

I was watching it, and may have bid earlier as well, and was surprised at the final price

34 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

pStaik5.jpg

I agree.   In particular, I don’t think you can really draw many conclusions on books at that price point.   50 vs 100 (or 125 vs 180)  is a huge percentage change but not that big a dent in the pocket so big percentage swings can happen on smaller books

Edited by Bronty

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I agree.   In particular, I don’t think you can really draw many conclusions on books at that price point.   50 vs 100 (or 125 vs 180)  is a huge percentage change but not that big a dent in the pocket so big percentage swings can happen on smaller books

It's tricky. That's one question I'd love to answer with a bigger data set. We can assume that some high-dollar buyers also buy low-dollar books, but that low-dollar buyers seldom buy high-dollar books. That said, do one group of books (high- or low-dollar books) see more variance in this (presumed) downturn? If I'm a low-dollar buyer, the difference between $200 and $140 is substantial and might turn me off.