• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking hammer results during the COVID-19 pandemic
5 5

217 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The other poster is most likely referring to BIN auctions which is pretty much the auction format that most comic ball transactions are done on eBay because the sellers don't have the balls to see what their books are truly worth and would much rather ask unrealistic prices hoping that a sucker will eventually come along.  :taptaptap:  :facepalm:

I am still on the periphery of collecting:(

I am not one of these suckers that continously over pays for a book...but I see the damage that Ebay auctions, and shill bidding does for the hobby....what really confuses me is that the book was GA and FMV on gocollect was about $280 USD and bidding 11hrs out was about $170 under FMV which seemed appealing to watch...and with 5 seconds out was at FMV...and ended up (as you say a sucker's bid) $150 above FMV

Then you have to take into account S&H and since I live in Canada import charges...I wasn't prepared to bid at FMV...

But it will effect the FMV of a book now.

Edited by Hollywood1892

16 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Yeah and I think Hollywood1892 is trying to say that if nobody ever lists items in a true auction format, then items will never show a declining price?  You can fill ebay with all listings in fixed-price formats, and watch what happens when nobody buys anything.  Eventually, the sellers who want the money more will undercut the other sellers and lower their prices.    

Yup

And by the time most see the downward trend...it’s too late.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Not to sound patronizing...but where do you see the hobby (keys in any age or grade) in 12 months time? (or less, depending on how long Covid19 sticks around)

My magic 8-ball is broken.  No idea what’s going to happen.  We are in unprecedented territory.  With the Marvel movie machine shut down, bin fodder 1st appearances are no longer turning to gold overnight.  The “easy money” is starting to disappear.  How long before the new breed of speculators start selling off their over-inflated “keys”, and move on to something else?

I’m not invested in comics at all at the moment, so thankfully I don’t have to put the market on suicide watch.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:45 PM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

10 million Americans (so far) are newly unemployed. We will have 15% unemployment and under-employment for a significant time.  The psychological damage of a global shutdown will dramatically alter people's perception of "value" - collectibles of all stripes will be reexamined, and I think just maybe slabbed books in particular, in their sterile, inaccessible little clear coffins will suffer. 

Dead on.

And those working (counting myself lucky to have near zero chance of lay-off) are not spending.

This is going to be a rough ride for at least the next year.

22 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

My magic 8-ball is broken.  No idea what’s going to happen.  We are in unprecedented territory.  With the Marvel movie machine shut down, bin fodder 1st appearances are no longer turning to gold overnight.  The “easy money” is starting to disappear.  How long before the new breed of speculators start selling off their over-inflated “keys”, and move on to something else?

I’m not invested in comics at all at the moment, so thankfully I don’t have to put the market on suicide watch.

Can you say New Mutants 98?  And there are many more...

LOL...I posted this before I looked at the link... :tonofbricks:

Edited by trmoore54

ComicLink April Focused lots start closing tonight. I'll be following the fun at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=1174426755

Join the watch party on Discord at https://discord.gg/QvVYe4z. (Discord is a chat service. This Discord server is not affiliated with the CGC boards. It's just me making a place for comic collectors who want to chat. If you feel like the forums have pushed you to the limit of your tech capacity, just ignore this part. If you like Discord, you know the desktop app is more friendly to use than the web client).

15 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

The last bid was less than 12 hours before it was ended. No one else bid later on.

I saw a strange adventures 187 at $55 (I forget what grade maybe 7.5) with 10 seconds left it went up $200...I just don't think we can accurately asses the pandemic having an effect on collectibles...yet

Edited by Hollywood1892

18 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I saw a strange adventures 187 at $55 (I forget what grade maybe 7.5) with 10 seconds left it went up $200...I just don't think we can accurately asses the pandemic having an effect on collectibles...yet

where?

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

where?

Definitely seems puzzling to me also, especially since they only did the "A's" to "C's" in today's CL auction if that is what the OP is referring to?  ???

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

where?

Definitely seems puzzling to me also, especially since they only did the "A's" to "C's" in today's CL auction if that is what the OP is referring to?  ???

I'm pretty sure he needs to...., get off my lawn! :preach:

Ahh..., he's probably just ADHD like the rest of us...., 

4 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Looks like business as usual still. How many stimulus checks have made it out so far?

Ya, not looking terribly abnormal so far.

I just updated through the first night's listings. I was tired, went to bed early, and now I'm wide awake. :(  At least the bidding has stopped so I don't make any bids fueled by insomnia and pandemic isolation.

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I'm pretty sure he needs to...., get off my lawn! :preach:

Ahh..., he's probably just ADHD like the rest of us...., 

Bidding in CL, I bid three out four books at closing few seconds and I was leading on all four books. Decided to check if I won anything. Only one book I won. Those books are non-essential books. ADHD probably are still out there.

Edited by JollyComics