• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking hammer results during the COVID-19 pandemic
5 5

217 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Only one of interest is the werewolf 32. Is the fmv correct on it? Did it have a miswrap or off white pages. Over graded. Pretty good percentage off. 

If market gets effected it won't be until people stop getting their full unemployment. 30 million people can lose jobs but if they are getting their full pay plus government bonus checks they are buying more than ever.

You can find all that information for yourself.

3 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Only one of interest is the werewolf 32. Is the fmv correct on it? Did it have a miswrap or off white pages. Over graded. Pretty good percentage off. 

If market gets effected it won't be until people stop getting their full unemployment. 30 million people can lose jobs but if they are getting their full pay plus government bonus checks they are buying more than ever.

I believe one of the simplest answers for the lower than expected price is probably staring you right in the eye.  :gossip:

It's never good for the consignor of the book if an auction house has 4 copies of the exact same supposedly tough book (or clearly NOT in this case) ending within minutes of each other.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

This is updated through last night's results. I doubt that I will add any more for this auction. This one seemed pretty normal so far. I'm still curious over time how things do as unemployment could remove many buyers from the market.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=1174426755

:idea:  You know what.......................it would really simplify things if you could provide a total for us at the bottom of your spreadsheet.  (thumbsu

No interest in comparing the results for the GA books which closed tonight since I believe these books would probably tend to hold up a lot better than the more recent readily available books from the SA through to the CA?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I believe one of the simplest answers for the lower than expected price is probably staring you right in the eye.  :gossip:

It's never good for the consignor of the book if an auction house has 4 copies of the exact same supposedly tough book (or clearly NOT in this case) ending within minutes of each other.  doh!

I just now got to look at the book. Kids been gaming or netflix or something all night killing the wifi. Cream pages and bad wrap will kill the value of a more expensive high grade. But yeah that is stupid to have all the books going same time just because its alphabetically. This wasn't as bad but I have seen before same exact grades or similar go at same time. With GPA Go Collect they probably dont factor in much or do they? They just go with whatever sale. Doesn't matter if its not a nice copy or a immaculate copy or if auction ran multiples of the same book. They all get averaged in? 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:36 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

Of course it impacts it

But does the seller devalue a product just because the buyer doesn't have enough money?

On 4/23/2020 at 8:43 AM, Callaway29 said:

Maybe, maybe not. All comes down to how motivated the seller is... Personally, I'm in the market to sell some books at the moment, and they aren't moving... I'm not going to give them away because I don't need to... But, I'm sure some people are being forced to...or perhaps are spooked by the uncertainty of the market and are willing to let books go in fear of them being worth even less months from now.

You echo some of the thoughts I read in a real estate outlook for the remainder of the year and 2021.  There were a few that held the belief that while sales will decline, the values will remain the same.  People are not going to give their homes away with the same reasoning that Callaway29 states.

Could that be true with everything else?  It probably depends on the book and the price.   If it is a $10 item and someone offers $9, then sure, take it for $9 and be done with it.  If it is a $1,000 item and someone is only offering $900 then maybe that is not the right buyer. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You echo some of the thoughts I read in a real estate outlook for the remainder of the year and 2021.  There were a few that held the belief that while sales will decline, the values will remain the same.  People are not going to give their homes away with the same reasoning that Callaway29 states.

Could that be true with everything else?  It probably depends on the book and the price.   If it is a $10 item and someone offers $9, then sure, take it for $9 and be done with it.  If it is a $1,000 item and someone is only offering $900 then maybe that is not the right buyer. 

Yep

Just wait until next tax season when all these people that are getting the Gov subsidy got to pay taxes on it (Canada). Most people especially the younger ones under 25 aren't thinking about that. There are lots getting it that don't even qualify and will have to pay it all back. I can see it being a huge problem here in Canada. We won't see the real damage until 6 months to a year, IMO that's when we will see the true financial damage. Right now there are people getting the subsidy that live home with their parents. They are bored and have money, they are buying comics and games like crazy. I have a 19 year old who is home from college and the stories he is telling me about his buddies is crazy. Half don't qualify but applied anyhow because the gov isn't checking YET, the gov is just trying to get some money out for those that are desperate. It is going to be a mess.

Just getting started with building the sheet for the CLink Featured auction that starts closing next week. I haven't captured current bids, but just eyeballing them suggests that bids are strong this auction.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by DavidTheDavid

Given all the uncertainly, the current comic market is fascinating.   I am very surprised the comic market has held up as well as it appears to have. 

With regard to Comic Link, it should be interesting to see where that All - American Comics # 16 (4.0), Hulk # 1 (9.0) and Captain America # 1 (2.5) go for. 

:popcorn:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=670420110

I don't know what to make of many of these results. The listings in this kind of auction are largely out of my league, and I don't have the experience to draw any decent conclusions from results. It seems that prices are more unpredictable with scarcer books, seldom-traded books, super high grade copies, and mega keys. 

Edited by DavidTheDavid

56 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=670420110

I don't know what to make of many of these results. The listings in this kind of auction are largely out of my league, and I don't have the experience to draw any decent conclusions from results. It seems that prices are more unpredictable with scarcer books, seldom-traded books, super high grade copies, and mega keys. 

Interesting how the average price increase is +3.5% (simple average) but total different value in books is down by 60,000.  Really shows how a few of the big books sold for less.  I bought the Albedo 2 and am very happy I won it with my bid as it sold for $8,250 than the last sale.  The drop really surprised me as the book has been pretty hot the last couple years and a 9.6 just sold on eBay 40 days ago for $10,000.  There is another 9.6 on Comiclink closing in a couple days so maybe that took some demand away from the 9.8.

Actually of the -60,000 almost all of it comes from lower prices on on three books - 52,500.  Two copies of All Star 8 and the Albedo 2.

6 hours ago, david20009 said:

Interesting how the average price increase is +3.5% (simple average) but total different value in books is down by 60,000.  Really shows how a few of the big books sold for less.  I bought the Albedo 2 and am very happy I won it with my bid as it sold for $8,250 than the last sale.  The drop really surprised me as the book has been pretty hot the last couple years and a 9.6 just sold on eBay 40 days ago for $10,000.  There is another 9.6 on Comiclink closing in a couple days so maybe that took some demand away from the 9.8.

Actually of the -60,000 almost all of it comes from lower prices on on three books - 52,500.  Two copies of All Star 8 and the Albedo 2.

Congrats on the Albedo!

Ya, some prices seemed down, but again, I don't know what conclusions to draw from that. I don't swim in that end of the pool, so I have only the data to consider. And those books don't generate the same sales data that Silver Age Spideys do, and certainly not the volume of sales that Bronze or Copper top sellers do.

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Congrats on the Albedo!

Ya, some prices seemed down, but again, I don't know what conclusions to draw from that. I don't swim in that end of the pool, so I have only the data to consider. And those books don't generate the same sales data that Silver Age Spideys do, and certainly not the volume of sales that Bronze or Copper top sellers do.

Actually with the exception of two All Star 8s and the Albedo 2 most of the rest of the books seem flattish to slightly up.  

Will be interesting to see how the rest of the auction goes.

So many things come into play with rarer books or high grade non keys. Page quality. Wrap. Are the top bidders buying cgc grade or the book. Speculators or collectors. I don't know much about the albedo 2 in high grades. I just know 2 years ago it was 8 grand and now its 20 to 30 apparently. Up in all grades. Why the jump now. What do the other 9.8s look like. I just keep seeing this same copy. Some of these books you dont see often. Stock market is good. Big auction. So no need to think comic market is bad. Books went what buyers felt they were worth.