• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink Validity for Original Art Purchasing
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Hey guys, just wanted opinions on Comiclink.

There is an original art piece up for sale now on there and I am leery of the validity of the piece.The picture isn't ideal for inspecting details and I have been burned in the past with buying fake pieces (luckily I have successfully returned them in the past, not through Comiclink).

So I just wanted to hear people's opinions, chime ins, and realistic expectations of items for sale there. Is it just a glorified ebay sales tool where anyone can post a fake or is there more to it?

Thanks so much

Doug

My understanding is that ComicLink is one of the more reputable sources for comic art auctions. That said, there's never zero risk of forgery. This board tends to be good at calling out fakes. I'd recommend you share the piece in question here if you're concerned of its validity.

57 minutes ago, Varanis said:

My understanding is that ComicLink is one of the more reputable sources for comic art auctions. That said, there's never zero risk of forgery. This board tends to be good at calling out fakes. I'd recommend you share the piece in question here if you're concerned of its validity.

That's reassuring to hear.

This was the item I was looking at:

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1387419#detail

I would love to hear people's feedback!

Primary Artist Name: STEVE MCQUEEN
Secondary Artist Name:
Year: 2009
Dimensions: The art has an approximate image area of 6" X 8".
End Date: 4/8/2020 9:40:42 PM

WTF? Steve McQueen? You were correct to be concerned, Steve McQueen did not draw this. Steve McNiven? I couldn't speak to that as I stopped following his work a while ago. But not Steve McQueen! (WTF Clink?)

also, after looking for another second, 6X8 does not sound right on that art board but I could be wrong there.

well, maybe on 8.5x11 paper it could be right, weird margins though

Edited by Bird

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

also, after looking for another second, 6X8 does not sound right on that art board but I could be wrong there.

well, maybe on 8.5x11 paper it could be right, weird margins though

That's what had me worried too. I found this link: which is, ironically, the same sale of the item, but can't determine the date sale year, but the size is indicated differently

https://www.sekaimon.com/itemdetail/312780442881?country=US

4 minutes ago, D2 said:

That's what had me worried too. I found this link: which is, ironically, the same sale of the item, but can't determine the date sale year, but the size is indicated differently

https://www.sekaimon.com/itemdetail/312780442881?country=US

I have purchased prelims directly from Steve and his buddy about the time of Civil War, so it was a while ago, but they are all on copy paper. 

That is good research you did though!

Edited by Bird

46 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have purchased prelims directly from Steve and his buddy about the time of Civil War, so it was a while ago, but they are all on copy paper. 

That is good research you did though!

I appreciate that.

I did just follow up with Steve and team and they said, based on what they can see, it looks authentic, without, of course, giving a 100% guarantee.

So... hm... so far so good?

If someone else has an Old Man Logan sketch/prelim/OA they'd rather sell though, I would love to see it! :)

Ask lots of questions and ask for more photos if the one's provided are not good enough.

If you don't get your questions answered or don't get additional photos - walk away.

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Ask lots of questions and ask for more photos if the one's provided are not good enough.

If you don't get your questions answered or don't get additional photos - walk away.

Yeah I agree entirely.

I haven't been very familiar with Comiclink (which is ignorant on my behalf) so I'm struggling to find ways to connect with the seller

11 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Yes, mislabelled.

It was for sale on ebay for a while.

Oh! That is extremely good news.

You remember what the list price was on it by any chance? any memory of it is helpful, but this in itself is fantastic.

Not the original cover, but a prelim for me would still be considered a grail piece.

37 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

FWIW, I wrote to ComicLink (buysell@comiclink.com) and explained the issue and asked for the size of the paper. They updated the listing. The sheet is 8.5x11.

BOO! :sumo: It was fun seeing Steve McQueen up there. :whee:

8 hours ago, RBerman said:

I appreciate that they (and Heritage Auctions) specify the image size, but really the paper size ought to be a standard thing to mention also since it has big implications for storage.

Is it so hard for the cataloger to note both?

20% BP isn't enough to justify this "extra" effort?

BOTH - or go home :)

9 hours ago, RBerman said:

I appreciate that they (and Heritage Auctions) specify the image size, but really the paper size ought to be a standard thing to mention also since it has big implications for storage. I'm a newbie at this game but already have several pieces which are a hair larger than the Itoya for which I envisioned them.

Completely agree. I found myself in the same situation several times last year. 

17 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

It was offered by Anthony Snyder earlier.  He picked up a bunch of McNiven prelims and sold them on eBay or through his site. Probably sold in the range of $500-$800

Thanks for the info. It helps me really understand how much the item is worth, since I am so new at this and have, in the past, been victim of paying too much for most things.

It's only after getting burned many times over do I finally realize how to better gauge my purchases.

15 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

FWIW, I wrote to ComicLink (buysell@comiclink.com) and explained the issue and asked for the size of the paper. They updated the listing. The sheet is 8.5x11.

That is actually super helpful. Thanks for taking the time for that.