• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchasing New Comics During This Crisis

4 posts in this topic

So, I have cut back on the number of titles I am collecting but this coming week there are a couple of titles that I have been collecting that will have new releases.  What has everyone been doing to fill in the gap of going to the LCS to buy the latest comics?  Any suggestions of where to order from?  How are the condition of the books when shipped (I am a nut and will only pick 9.8s and will bag and board before getting to counter, then only handle books by myself)  How can i be sure the books shipped will be cherry-picked and shipped properly?

Boy, that's a lot of questions but I am sure others are thinking same thing

I should ask if anyone had any experience getting books from Midtown Comics in NYC via mail?

Edited by medusanyc

4 minutes ago, medusanyc said:

So, I have cut back on the number of titles I am collecting but this coming week there are a couple of titles that I have been collecting that will have new releases.  What has everyone been doing to fill in the gap of going to the LCS to buy the latest comics?  Any suggestions of where to order from?  How are the condition of the books when shipped (I am a nut and will only pick 9.8s and will bag and board before getting to counter, then only handle books by myself)  How can i be sure the books shipped will be cherry-picked and shipped properly?

I should ask if anyone had any experience getting books from Midtown Comics in NYC via mail?

for midtown (domestic), I've had ok luck with high grade NEW comics.  Probably a 9.8 for maybe a third of new comics? (is that good?)  there are some other CGC 9.8 subscription services you can consider where you prepay for someone to buy and slab the book themselves before sending you a guaranteed CGC 9.8.

Also you could just get Marvel Unlimited during quarantine (less going out, less mail to open) and do your best to read the artists/creators you like (I'm sure Marvel tracks it)

After this week's books, distributed to LCS's yesterday, Diamond is stopping distribution. So you won't be getting any new titles for a time. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

I will try to support my LCS by continuing to purchase what I can. I will ask them to hold items so that I can pick them up later, after paying by PayPal.

2 hours ago, medusanyc said:

Yes, I have experienced Midtown Comics. See my post entitled "Midtown Madness". Not a company I would ever use again.