• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, AJD said:

And I really wish @Point Five had prodded me into buying an Action 59 last decade! That's a war bonds cover I still don't have, and possibly never will.

That's right! Back then you were talking about picking up an Action war cover, and I convinced you a CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 would be a wiser investment.

I stand by my advice. :sumo:

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I don't want to derail your thread too much, but I love that book as well.  My uncle had a copy, and for years and years when my family went over to visit (which we did all the time, they lived nearby) I would wind up reading it.  I remember being particularly blown away by the "Superman, You're Dead... Dead... Dead" near the end.  But I loved the whole thing, and only years later figured out it was my first exposure to the golden and silver ages.

My uncle passed away over a decade ago; and my aunt died a few years later.  But a couple years before she died, she gave me the book (and a copy of Wishing Horse of Oz that was the first old Oz book I ever saw) for Christmas because she knew how much I had loved them.  They remain some of the most prized books in my very, very large collection, and I think of my aunt and uncle every time I pull them out.  I think I'm going to go dig it out again, it will give me something to read as I stay isolated this weekend.

Sorry for the hijack, but I wanted to show I understand just how much impact that book had on you.  You're not alone!

No hijack at all!

The "Superman, You're Dead... Dead... Dead" is actually the story in the book I liked best. It also came with an awesome Neal Adams cover. 

10 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Action 62

Wow , my whole life i have never seen that cover before (Action 62) and i am a war comics guy ! 

this is one of the best war comic covers ever !

(the cover must be alluding to the little known Aleutian Island campaign, that would be the only place in the Pacific war that there would be snow capped mountains)

great CGC 4.5 copy you have there too !!

10 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

(the cover must be alluding to the little known Aleutian Island campaign, that would be the only place in the Pacific war that there would be snow capped mountains)

That's a cool bit of trivia! It's a great cover. Such a lush sense of place, unusual for a superhero comic.