• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 61: wow! What a cover. Definitely one of the most dynamic of the run, and one of my favorites. It used to be the "atomic radiation cover", but I guess the Overstreet designation changed at some point?

This copy is one of many I bought raw from Metropolis Comics ten or more years ago when they had their downtown office, with the gallery of classic movie posters hung on the wall, including a one-of-a-kind gigantic Frankenstein 6-sheet. I probably went there a couple dozen times; it was just 1 subway stop from me. Our office later moved uptown, but Metropolis followed us! Their new office was even closer, just a block away. (The classic movie posters went into storage, replaced with a monster of an OA collection.)

Bought as a VGF, CGC gave this great looking copy a 4, probably due to the tape, which in hindsight I should have had removed. 

ac61.jpg

It's got great color! Beautiful book!

7 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 60! The "other" one where Supes is busy helping our troops, instead of taking the fight to the Axis.

First Lois as Superwoman!!!  :baiting: The most important aspect.

#61 is no longer the "atomic radiation" cover because someone finally figured out it wasn't radiation.  It's an oil fire...:sumo:  I remember there was some discussion here several years back about that, and some of us had to show the old time fire fighting suits for oil fires before a lot of boardies would believe that's what it was.  :facepalm:  Maybe the word got to Overstreet Inc. about our discussion...hm

4 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 59! The one that started it all.

There was some version of the Big Apple Comic Con, or NY Comic Con, or something, in downtown NY 15 years ago, before it moved to where it is now, across from Penn station. This was back when comic shows were actually about buying comic books. I had started going with @Point Five

I was probably at that show.  I was finishing high school and working at Kmart in CT. My buddies and I would take the train from New Haven to grand Central and go to the conventions. It was before eBay was fully mature and conventions were all about buying books.  Lots of fun. 

7 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 58: Slap-a-Jap! This is one of the most desirable covers in the run, and probably the hardest to replace should I ever sell it. My wife, who is Asian, is displeased with the cover art; but not nearly as much as she is with my MOKF collection. So I guess it's safe for now. :)

I was fortunate to have found this one on the boards from someone who'd bought it as a raw VF-, then rage-sold it to me when it came back a 3.5. Apparently the cover was attached on purchase, but came off somewhere in the encapsulation journey. I wonder if he'd have been happy with a VF- PLOD? hmmmmm....

ac58.jpg

Nice date stamp!

9 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 58: Slap-a-Jap! This is one of the most desirable covers in the run, and probably the hardest to replace should I ever sell it. My wife, who is Asian, is displeased with the cover art; but not nearly as much as she is with my MOKF collection. So I guess it's safe for now. :)

I was fortunate to have found this one on the boards from someone who'd bought it as a raw VF-, then rage-sold it to me when it came back a 3.5. Apparently the cover was attached on purchase, but came off somewhere in the encapsulation journey. I wonder if he'd have been happy with a VF- PLOD? hmmmmm....

ac58.jpg

SJWs will be out on this one and demanding a recall:roflmao: