• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

Action Comics 55! Superman getting to work assembling planes. 

I picked this one up at Comic Connect auction in the midst of the botched CGC new slab switchover. It really threw pricing for everything I was after into a flux, with books finished MUCH cheaper than normal. A big reason I was comfortable going for this run was because of the certainty of CGC's grading, restoration detection, and storage security, so I was kind of waffling on buying the new slabs. This ended up being a mistake, as I could have bought a plethora of want list books for 60-75% of going value at the time. I did get this book for a song , however. 

ac55.jpg

9 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 55! Superman getting to work assembling planes. 

I picked this one up at Comic Connect auction in the midst of the botched CGC new slab switchover. It really threw pricing for everything I was after into a flux, with books finished MUCH cheaper than normal. A big reason I was comfortable going for this run was because of the certainty of CGC's grading, restoration detection, and storage security, so I was kind of waffling on buying the new slabs. This ended up being a mistake, as I could have bought a plethora of want list books for 60-75% of going value at the time. I did get this book for a song , however. 

ac55.jpg

Is the case grabbing some spine tear? :whatthe:  What's happening mid-spine?

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

Is the case grabbing some spine tear? :whatthe:  What's happening mid-spine?

It's definitely getting a bit squished by the slab, but I think the tear happened pre-slabbing. Staple still attached. 

FWIW, the book has not been damaged by the slab in any way since I got it. 

Loving this thread. I have a fair number of these not complete as your run. Just ones I like a lot. Most I got what seems like a million years ago. The stories of each issue are fun. Brings be back to when this hobby was a lot more than it is now. Back then, you really had to work a lot harder to get stuff like this. Keep ‘em coming!

17 hours ago, Yorick said:

:baiting:  Hey.  Where's my Superman fix for today?

ps. I hope you're doing okay. :download:

All OK! Just got slammed with work, and this next post was a bit more involved, as you'll see. I had to dig back though three years of emails...

1 hour ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 52! One of a pair of classic black covers in the run, along with number 50. The layout on this one is fantastic, through it's remarkable that not one of the secondary Action characters featured on this cover survived the Golden Age in any meaningful way. (Zatara is closest, but let's get real.)

I won this slabbed copy in a ComicLink auction a few years back. There were a slew of near-full runs of slabbed Actions being sold at the time through the various auction houses, perhaps a half dozen over a 2-year period between 2016-2018. I haven't seen such runs come for sale since then. 

I am not a DC collector but this is one Supes book I have wanted.  Very nice looking book!

On 4/13/2020 at 5:07 PM, SuperBird said:

Your collection was awesome, one of the ones that inspired me, along with @thedude's and @nearmint's

i was only collecting the #40-50 range cuz I liked the Fred Ray covers in that range, plus I had a few others. Action #10,19,20,23,63,66. but what you've put together is really nice. the Superman title as well. (thumbsu

7 hours ago, thedude said:

i was only collecting the #40-50 range cuz I liked the Fred Ray covers in that range, plus I had a few others. Action #10,19,20,23,63,66. but what you've put together is really nice. the Superman title as well. (thumbsu

Do you still have any, or are they all gone at this point?

Action Comics 51! Not gonna lie, I only bought this one to complete the run. 

I won this nicely presenting low grade copy on ComicLink a few years back, outbidding a fellow boardie for it, whose name I don't have on record. He was nice enough to message me to apologize for driving up the price! It has been a genuine pleasure to come across so many people on the boards who helped out or were otherwise supportive of my mission throughout the years. 

ac51.jpg

First off, congrats on achieving your goal!  More collectors need to see that it takes time (years) to build their collections but its understandable considering how much easier it is to pick up almost any book now.  Awesome thread, my favorite on the board at the moment.  Would love to see more stories like this from fellow boardies who have been in this hobby for decades and their interesting stories attached to the books in their collection.  Love these connections and personal stories to each and every book.  Looking forward to hearing the continued story on those stolen books.  Somehow i'm not surprised with the sub-par grammar.

4 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Do you still have any, or are they all gone at this point?

I only still have the Action #44 and #48 at this point, I've done a lot of selling these past 10 years to pay off my mortgage, but I've also done some buying, still have a blue label low grade Batman #1 and an X-men 1. plus other minor stuff. but once I get to a higher financial level I will probably start buying again. (thumbsu