• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I recently purchased a collection of slabbed, high grade master of Kung Fu's, and let me tell ya... all over the place. 

Oh, I'm sure we all have had a similar experience. Lol

14 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 50! The "other" black cover in the run, although I suppose 42 sort of counts as well. 

I love this one; it's just classic GA Superman, with a focus on saving people from disasters. I picked up this copy off eBay for a cheap BIN a few years ago. 

ac50.jpg

Nice, this is the only big logo Action I have.  Got stupid lucky a few years ago, mine is a raw around 2.0 and was only $60 7 or 8 years ago.  Not quite a classic cover, I think, but close.

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Nice, this is the only big logo Action I have.  Got stupid lucky a few years ago, mine is a raw around 2.0 and was only $60 7 or 8 years ago.  Not quite a classic cover, I think, but close.

That would have been a great price even back then.

14 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 48! Great WW2 Japanese cover with a dynamic layout. Definitely one of the top covers in the run, IMHO. 

I bought this old-label copy through a fellow boardie who had it consigned to Metropolis Comics. 

ac48.jpg

ahh, now this is a comic book. :x

On 3/30/2020 at 8:47 AM, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 58: Slap-a-Jap! This is one of the most desirable covers in the run, and probably the hardest to replace should I ever sell it. My wife, who is Asian, is displeased with the cover art; but not nearly as much as she is with my MOKF collection. So I guess it's safe for now. :)

I was fortunate to have found this one on the boards from someone who'd bought it as a raw VF-, then rage-sold it to me when it came back a 3.5. Apparently the cover was attached on purchase, but came off somewhere in the encapsulation journey. I wonder if he'd have been happy with a VF- PLOD? hmmmmm....

ac58.jpg

What is a MOKF collection?  

8 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Master of Kung Fu. The coloring and stereotyping in those... would not be acceptable today... :)

I’m Asian and I wasn’t really offended by the colouring and accepted the stereotypes in the context of the times.  The world has changed for the better there.

11 hours ago, podboy66 said:

I’m Asian and I wasn’t really offended by the colouring and accepted the stereotypes in the context of the times.  The world has changed for the better there.

Yeah, 50 years ago (I cannot believe it's been that long, man I am old.) it certainly did not raise any eyebrows. 

Action Comics 45! Since I missed a week, it's technically not cheating for me to post two today. 

I totally love this cover. Classic Supes. Great layout. It doesn't come up for sale that often, from my experience. I won this great looking mid-grade copy at ComicLink in 2016. My scanner won't cooperate in getting rid of the glare, sadly. 

Action45.jpg