• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

Action Comics 40! More WW2 nazi-smashing sweetness. I think I've owned 4 copies of this book over the years, upgrading over and over, from a fair, to a good, to a GVG, and finally to this sweet-looking 4.0 I won off of Heritage. 

Of all the main auction sites, I have found that Heritage usually had the highest realized prices. Only 2 comics from the entire run were purchased from there, as opposed to a dozen+ from ComicConnect and Comiclink. 

ac40.jpg

52 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I like how you carefully chose books where the eye appeal is better than the technical grade.  That is exactly what I did, when working on my Action run. 

Yeah, I was "collecting on a budget", as ridiculous as that sounds for something that cost what it did, relatively speaking. 

Action Comics 38! For whatever reason, it's one of the most common early GA Actions. I always liked this cover, and think it's one of the better yellow ones in the run. (There are a plethora of yellow covers coming up.)

I won this copy from a ComicConnect auction a few years ago. 

Action38.thumb.jpg.e21516482f33cd9a682dd0b7b0bb50d8.jpg

10 hours ago, SuperBird said:

all numbered sequentially

I might need to reholder some of my own sets in order to accomplish this.  OCD DEMANDS IT!  :roflmao:

Action Comics 35! When I first started collecting golden age comics, my wife kindly humored me by coming along and attending shows. It was at one of the local NYC ones that no longer exist where we saw this book, sold as a raw VG+, and she bought for me as a birthday present. At that point I was sticking exclusively to WW2 covers, and this one fit the bill. 

A decade later, CGC agreed with the grade. 

Action35.jpg

Action Comics 34! One of a run of yellow-ish Superman covers that span from the 20s to the 30s. 

I kept a running post in the forum's WTB section throughout my collecting days, but was actually only able to find 2 issues via that route, this one and number 23.This one was sold to me by a boardie whose name I've lost record of as a 6.5 slab from that other company. It's so nice in hand that when my wife saw it, she admonished me for collecting anything less than 6.5s :/ 

A few years later I had it reslabbed by CGC, who agreed with the grade. 

AC34sm.jpg

Edited by SuperBird