• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

Action Comics 33! The yellow covers continue. For whatever reason, this one is significantly more highly sought after than other non-WW2 covers, regularly jumping in price out of what I'd consider the right range. Maybe it's the super-sized Superman? :)

This is the 2nd copy I've owned. The first was bought as a raw unrestored GVG off of eBay in one of the handful of transactions that left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The cover was clearly married from another copy, and it had glue on the spine as well. The seller refused to accept a return because "glue and married pages are not restoration." I ended up keeping it rather than dealing with the aggravation, as the pages were bone white and it had great eye appeal anyway (plus was cheap). I later sold it at eBay auction as a restored Good.

I replaced it with this lovely 6.5 from a ComicConnect auction a little while after. My wife approved of the grade. :)

Action33.jpg

Edited by SuperBird

13 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 33! The yellow covers continue. For whatever reason, this one is significantly more highly sought after than other non-WW2 covers, regularly jumping in price out of what I'd consider the right range. Maybe it's the super-sized Superman? :)

I too never understood why this issue seems to pull in higher prices than surrounding issues.  Must be because of Mr America?

11 hours ago, Yorick said:

I too never understood why this issue (33) seems to pull in higher prices than surrounding issues.  Must be because of Mr America?

Clearly Mr. America. :P

It's also one of the more common issues to find, even among the surrounding issues. 

4 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 31! Yellow covers were all the rage in 1940, and this one is no exception. This eBay BIN had the right price, so I paid it. When they label this a "bondage cover", I really don't quite think this is the type of bondage covers collectors care about. But maybe that's just me. Not entirely sure what that symbol on the soldiers' helmets is...

Action31.thumb.jpg.044cc95dfd9b66b92948d54df8077468.jpg

The symbol is the famous "We're not at war with Germany yet so we're suggesting but not actually showing a swastika" that you see variants of several places around 1938 to 1942. lol  Timely was actually unusual in NOT using it on Cap #1

14 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 29! Now we're getting down to it. :)

The first second Lois Lane cover. I am not entirely sure who collects Lois Lane covers, but apparently enough people do that this issue commands a premium. Note the lovely yellow cover, continuing the trend. 

When CGC first switched over to the new slabs, I stupidly passed on a sweet-looking 6.0 that ended up hammering well under FMV. At the time there was so much uncertainty with the new slabs, and I was questioning whether to even continue collecting GA books at the time on account of it. (time has proven me an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, as my wife will confirm.)

I obtained my first copy of this book a while later from a ComicConnect auction, a decent looking restored 2.0 I won on a thrill bid. Within a month I'd flipped that copy and won this one from a ComicLink auction.

Action29.jpg

This was the very first issue I got for my Action run.  It was a CGC 4.0 that my wife got me for Christmas in 2004.  I picked it out.  :grin:  I later upgraded to a CGC 6.0

On 4/29/2020 at 12:18 PM, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 31!

I've always been a fan of this cover (despite there not being a woman on the cover).  Nice page quality!

Action Comics 27! The true 1st cover appearance of Lois Lane. Also: 1st cover appearance of Superlion. 

I was going through a pretty rough time when this came up in a great ComicConnect auction with a near-full Action run. My father had been in and out of hospitals for months, and it was really wearing on me. I gifted myself this one as a cheer-me-up, as well as the 26 to immediately follow. It also started piquing my interest for higher grade books. Well, higher than 4.0 anyway. :)

Action27.jpg

Edited by SuperBird

6 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 27! The true 1st cover appearance of Lois Lane. Also: 1st cover appearance of Superlion. 

I was going through a pretty rough time when this came up in a great ComicConnect auction with a near-full Action run. My father had been in and out of hospitals for months, and it was really wearing on me. I gifted myself this one as a cheer-me-up, as well as the 26 to immediately follow. It also started piquing my interest for higher grade books. Well, higher than 4.0 anyway. :)

Action27.jpg

I never quite found the right copy of 27 for my collection.  I would be pleased to have that one.  :baiting::grin:

Action Comics 25! This is one of the more popular covers, though personally I'm not that into it. Something about the layout, with Supes' foot over the tiny boat in the background. It is featured on this little book of Action covers, which may explain part of it's popularity? 

527310351_61r3TlhoCwL._SX451_BO1204203200_.jpg.4721af639c3e0f8fc88ca1e4c42643a4.jpg

I bought this copy as a BIN off eBay one night when I was blown out of a series of ComicConnect auctions I had intended to win. It was right in the midst of a Cthulhu RPG session, and I was multitasking between bidding and trying to stop the players saving the world from Azathoth. 

Action25.thumb.jpg.bc49e7a6f9c4b5c6b0d370a6324909fa.jpg

Action Comics 24! I was always a fan of this one, and it's the one book I'm still looking to upgrade. Bought this copy off of a dealer's site, which one I forget, but it was right after the new CGC cases came out. No additional waviness occurring in the years I have owned it. 

Action24.jpg

Edited by SuperBird

On 4/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, SuperBird said:

Clearly Mr. America. :P

It's also one of the more common issues to find, even among the surrounding issues. 

A 5.0 slightly brittle copy of Action 33 just sold for $1040 on eBay. Go figure. 

On 4/28/2020 at 9:54 PM, Yorick said:

I too never understood why this issue seems to pull in higher prices than surrounding issues.  Must be because of Mr America?

A slightly brittle 5.0 copy of Action 33 (other company) just sold for $1050 on eBay. Go figure. 

Edited by SuperBird

I like AC25.  The nice centered Superman leaping across the cover and the great color on the water...  In years to come, they'll say that's Lois on the cover!