• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

Thank you for sharing your story. Unfortunately my mother in law had a similar story with a much different outcome last year.  Those anxiety filled nights between hearing "you have cancer" and knowing if it's treatable are like nothing else. And I didn't even go through it, I was just very close to someone who did.  I'm really happy too hear it all worked out and your healthy! 

As for Action 23 - beautiful copy. It came out gorgeous!  A nice way to cap off your run! 

Edited by KCOComics

22 hours ago, Yorick said:

...so now that you've finished posting your run down to 23, should the viewing audience post the remaining issues?  Perhaps you can show off the rest of your set (even if there are a missing issue or two)?

There's obviously not nearly as much story for the remaining 8 issues, but I'll keep on, one a day. 

6 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Thank you for sharing your story. Unfortunately my mother in law had a similar story with a much different outcome last year.  Those anxiety filled nights between hearing "you have cancer" and knowing if it's treatable are like nothing else. And I didn't even go through it, I was just very close to someone who did.  I'm really happy too hear it all worked out and your healthy! 

As for Action 23 - beautiful copy. It came out gorgeous!  A nice way to cap off your run! 

I'm sorry to hear that. I was very lucky, and I know it. 

Action Comics 22! This is one of those books I passed up on acquiring numerous times, then got tired of waiting and bought a restored 6.5 from the other company. 

A week later, this nice mid-grade copy showed up on eBay, which I promptly won, and resold my other copy. 

I believe I won this from someone on the site, TheJudge, or Bedrock maybe. 

Action22.jpg

2 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 21! Nice early WW2 cover. This was a Comiclink win. 

Action21.jpg

Very well could be my favorite Shuster cover.  I like 23 a lot too....

Action Comics 20! In the last 15 years I have seen many rankings of the "toughest" or "scarcest" Action books, and this one invariably came up. It used to be legitimately hard to find, though I have seen multiple copies come around since I won this one on ComicLink a few years back. 

Side note: is CVA still a thing? 

Action20.jpg

7 hours ago, SuperBird said:

is CVA still a thing?

I can make a sticker that you'd be able to print out on some label paper designating this copy as "awesome".  Would that help the value?

Action Comics 18! Part 1 of 3

I decided I wanted to get an Action 12. It had a really cool black cover with a rocket, an ad for Detective 27, and was the earliest issue I thought I could afford at the time. On one of my earlier trips down to the old Metropolis Comics space I asked the guy there did they have a copy, did they ever get one, and how rare was it? "Oh we get them in from time to time, it's not that rare, and doesn't cost much." was the essential response. To paraphrase Old man Skywalker, "Everything he said was wrong." But he did have some other early Actions in my price range, and would I like to see them? 

He brought out dog-eared raw copies of Action 16 and 18, and a nicer Action 15 with a super-flat, bright cover. I was intrigued. I went home and thought it over, then came back the next day to complete what was the greatest haul of my golden age comic collecting days, buying all three in one go, and even negotiating 10% off on the deal. :)

10 years later, when it came time to slab them all, I realized that the 18, in addition to not looking all that great, also looked like it may have had a married centerfold. I sold that copy to a boardie, and won this copy off of Heritage to replace it. 

Action18.jpg

6 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I realized that the 18, in addition to not looking all that great, also looked like it may have had a married centerfold. I sold that copy to a boardie

:whatthe::taptaptap::frustrated:

I knew I should have waited for a better copy to come along....

:grin:

10 minutes ago, Yorick said:

:whatthe::taptaptap::frustrated:

I knew I should have waited for a better copy to come along....

:grin:

Hey, there's a difference between "cool for my raw collection!" and "yeah I should slab this!" :)

I don't think that copy would fit into a normal sized slab? 

1 minute ago, SuperBird said:

Hey, there's a difference between "cool for my raw collection!" and "yeah I should slab this!" :)

I don't think that copy would fit into a normal sized slab? 

It's not a slabbing book.  I completely agree.  Besides, I now get to read the first appearance of the Three Aces!!!!