• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 15-year journey, completed
3 3

183 posts in this topic

@SuperBird

Thanks for sharing these.  Congrats again and good luck with whatever is next.

I know when I finished my Nedor runs of the 7 major superhero titles (333 books) - not anywhere close to yours but I floundered and faced similar thoughts about finances.  That has been a couple of years and took me nearly 20 years.  Now I just pick up a book here and there and have not tried anything near as grand since.  Would love to hear what you decide and plan.

7 hours ago, SuperBird said:

What do you do when you finish a run like this?

Get the rest?  Granted 1, 7, 10 and 13 will set you back a bit, but broaden your "condition" requirements.  Restoration/conservation doesn't always make a mess of a great old book.  Didn't that moderate restoration Action 4 8.0 just sell for around $3000?  Some of the early non-superman covers are my favorites!!

On 3/31/2020 at 8:26 AM, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 57! The second third Lois Lane cover! I have questions: who collects Lois Lane? Who seeks out Lois Lane covers? 

I bought this copy from a Comic Connect auction a few years back, a stack of books slabbed by "that other company" which I guess Metropolis prefers to use? They seem to carry a lot of that competitor's slabs.... they had graded it a 3.5, and CGC disagreed by a half point. 

Action57.jpg

Neat-o jack in the box cover👍👍😷😷🤗🤗

That is one fine collection of comics.  I own so few AC, and nothing early.  But as far as you continuing to collect or not, I suppose there are plenty of folks that may want to trade, or even buy the books you have become less interested in.  Maybe that would spark something.. You have some nice Superman books as well, but there seems to be room for a few more.  Best regards..

On 9/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Chief1332 said:

... as far as you continuing to collect or not, I suppose there are plenty of folks that may want to trade, or even buy the books you have become less interested in.  Maybe that would spark something.. You have some nice Superman books as well, but there seems to be room for a few more.  Best regards..

Since completing the run, I've kept on collecting original art, especially new stuff from Felix. 

@Msgarmar

Thanks for the interest! Here's the whole thread on collecting the run. 

As to a few of your specific questions: of the higher graded ones, I believe just the 15 and 39 were bought raw. Lots of the VG-ish ones were raw from ComicConnect, who were usually within a 1 to .5 on grading. I did upgrade a handful along the way, mainly to try to get them all blue label, though obviously the 23 ended up being an exception. Not currently selling the run, but I'm not collecting much anymore either. I did recently got a much nicer 48 from @Point Five, which I'll post when he allows me to. :)

On 3/27/2020 at 4:40 AM, SuperBird said:

Action Comics 61: wow! What a cover. Definitely one of the most dynamic of the run, and one of my favorites. It used to be the "atomic radiation cover", but I guess the Overstreet designation changed at some point?

ac61.jpg

Because it is an oil well fire.