• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of Bizarro

15 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

So that makes it the last appearance of Bizarro, right? 

Clever..... I see what you did there.

36 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Is that from Superboy 67?

It's actually from Jimmy Olsen 31 (start hoarding your copies).  I wonder how many other DC issues had the Ad?  If J.O.31 is the only one that's kind of cool.

11 hours ago, Silver said:

I’m sure I’ve seen that ad before, maybe in the JO, I can’t remember. There are some great house ads in the 50’s DC”s.

House Ads like this are fascinating to me because they get aspects of the new characters wrong.  What seem like "iconic characteristics" about the characters to you and me, weren't iconic at the time.  Whoever made this ad didn't know who Bizarro was at the time.

I think of the house ad in Top Notch 22 for a new character called "Archie".  In the Ad Archie has blonde hair I think, and instead of an "R" on his sweater he has an "S".

10 hours ago, gadzukes said:

House Ads like this are fascinating to me because they get aspects of the new characters wrong.  What seem like "iconic characteristics" about the characters to you and me, weren't iconic at the time.  Whoever made this ad didn't know who Bizarro was at the time.

I think of the house ad in Top Notch 22 for a new character called "Archie".  In the Ad Archie has blonde hair I think, and instead of an "R" on his sweater he has an "S".

This was 1958 after all and it was a small house ad so I can see it having been whipped up quickly based on a phone call or a quick aside in the office and then forgotten about as quickly - they did get the face right; the skin colour we can blame on the colourist and perhaps the printer; and the crest we can blame on lack of communication lol (see above).  

This bizarro is obliterated at the end of the story so maybe there was no intention of bringing him back so no biggie it the promo wasn't quite right or maybe they were going to wait for reader response to make their decision.

The bizarro in this story reminds me of the Frankenstein monster more than the bizarros that most of us know.  In fact, the story itself strongly resembles the 1931 Frankenstein movie plot in a lot of ways.

I think as well of the Captain America Sentinels of Liberty badge from 1941.  Before the club got underway, house ads portrayed a badge that ended up looking very different from the one that was actually produced.

Edited by pemart1966

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Beautiful copy my friend, but we now know the actual first "visual" appearance of Bizzaro was in Jimmy Olsen 31. :baiting:

I have a raw Jimmy Olsen #31 in a closet. I haven’t looked at in years so I have no idea what condition it’s in. Might be something to do this weekend?

12 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

You mean this ad? The old comic book smell of this book was so pleasing!

B15F37DA-C437-43A6-80E1-3D7C4538D7FE.jpeg

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Funny that they got the skin colour right on this one...

So.... the Jimmy Olsen 31 has the rare and highly valuable VARIANT FLESH COLOR BIZARRO. :idea::banana:

I wonder if the JO31 came out a week before the Superboy 67?

37 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

So.... the Jimmy Olsen 31 has the rare and highly valuable VARIANT FLESH COLOR BIZARRO. :idea::banana:

I wonder if the JO31 came out a week before the Superboy 67?

We'll need to find the same ad in another book before we proclaim one more rare than another  lol

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

We'll need to find the same ad in another book before we proclaim one more rare than another  lol

True, there might be a "Gold Foil" embossed Bizarro Ad edition.  (Maybe hiding in Sugar & Spice)

Edited by gadzukes