• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed
11 11

336 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Like you, I am on a buying hiatus a bit myself. Have been wanting to sell off more than I buy for some time. I need to clean house and consolidate anyway. 

A little harder for me because as you guys know, I collect everything. No estate sales, flea markets, antique stores ect has really hurt. Commerce has come to an abrupt stop. I also really miss my junk show buddies. It is just such a big part of me. I have to stay home and away. Suks, but necessary.

I am buying a few things here and there. I bought a couple of pulps just yesterday. Just stopped impulse buying and spending large amounts of dough for now. I’m OK, taking the time to reflect and enjoy what I already have. I am a very blessed collector!

It's just in our blood.  I see Rick post that box of CGC books and my heart starts racing, I start hitting refresh, FOMO kicks in.  Ah... phooey, need to slow my roll.  Tough to change the nature of the beast!

2 hours ago, Comcav said:

Maybe write a book :

TWO WEEKS WITHOUT A "TAKE"

a story of withdrawal from a Golden Age addict

Start a thread/journal posting some of your favorite pickups over the years, the organizing and posting might substitute somewhat for the rush of acquiring a new book. 

37 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Start a thread/journal posting some of your favorite pickups over the years, the organizing and posting might substitute somewhat for the rush of acquiring a new book. 

I always said he should start a thread ... half the revenue would kick start the economy!

3 hours ago, Comical Situations said:

Second that....I was vying for a few books in the HA magazine auction yesterday and I couldn't beat the other buyers off.....um....I mean drive the other buyers away....with a stick.  Even healthier results for key items than I've seen for comics lately.  Paid through the nose for what I did pick up.  Long term this is a hiccup that in time will fade into distant memory and hopefully some lessons learned at all levels.  Breathe deep and whoosah...this too shall pass.

@Ricksneatstuff pardon the thread karping ; I probably could have done this in an IM...but as you said let's have some fun :foryou:

Troy @Comical Situations what did you end up snagging?  I bet we were up against on a handful of them as mags are my bread n' butter.

I had to buck up hard for this one; but it is literally one of my favorite covers ever.  So to get the Pacific Coast Pedigree copy of Mad #59; Kelly Freas' Headless Horseman masterpiece; such a tough book...I have no problem with the pain.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/magazines/mad/mad-59-pacific-coast-pedigree-ec-1960-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/a/40153-83200.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Spoiler

Magazines:Mad, MAD #59 Pacific Coast Pedigree (EC, 1960) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages....

Edited by bounty_coder

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have to say, after watching the Heritage Auction on Sunday, I am pretty impressed with the stability of the comic market at this time. I mean, sure, there have been some dips and a few big books have taken a hit, but overall I have seen most books within 10-15% of GPA and many have sold above. I have had people reaching out even this last week wanting me to look for books for them. This hobby will survive and thrive and is taking less of a beating overall then most traditional investments at this time. Not to mention, and this is key, comics are FUN and you have a sense of community. I don't get either of those things watching the ticker tape.

yea I was hoping to "steal" a FF 5 in that sun HA auction.  no luck 

Edited by atomised