• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Curly Neal

8 posts in this topic

I don't think you could have been a kid in the 1970s and not known who the Harlem Globetrotters were, whether through their encounters with the Scooby Doo gang, Gold Key comics or even their own cartoon. I think I spent half my childhood (unsuccessfully) trying to spin a basketball on one finger while whistling Sweet Georgia Brown.

RIP Curly Neal

Harlem Globetrotters great Curly Neal dies at 77 | NBA.com

Harlem Globetrotters #3

Got to see the Globetrotters as a kid in the 70s. Great fun, and amazing athleticism. Meadowlark made a his half court hook on the first shot. 

I don’t usually offer financial advice on the boards, but you can take this to the bank: The Washington Generals are due!

18 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Got to see the Globetrotters as a kid in the 70s. Great fun, and amazing athleticism. Meadowlark made a his half court hook on the first shot. 

I don’t usually offer financial advice on the boards, but you can take this to the bank: The Washington Generals are due!

Figures vary as to exactly how often the Generals have beaten their rivals. Some reports say six,[20] while the team's official website reports having three victories over the Globetrotters, one each in 1954, 1958 and 1971.[21] The 1971 win is the most storied of these, and is sometimes reported as the team's sole victory.[2]

Playing as the "New Jersey Reds," they won 100–99 on January 5, 1971 in Martin, Tennessee, ending their 2,495-game losing streak. Klotz credits the overtime win to a guard named Eddie Mahar, who was team captain.[22] Harlem's captain, Curly Neal, did not play in this game.[23]

While the Globetrotters were entertaining the crowd that day, they lost track of the game and the score. They found themselves down 12 points with two minutes left to go. Forced to play normal basketball, the Globetrotters rallied but could not recover.[24]

The Reds secured their victory when the 50-year-old Klotz hit the winning basket with seconds left. Then Meadowlark Lemon missed a shot that would have given the game back to the Globetrotters. The timekeeper tried to stop the clock but could not. When the final buzzer sounded, the crowd was dumbfounded and disappointed.[25] Klotz described the fans' reaction: "They looked at us like we killed Santa Claus."

Some children in the stands cried after the loss.[23] The Reds celebrated by dousing themselves with orange soda instead of champagne. Lemon was furious, saying, "You lost, I didn't lose," but still visited the opposing team’s locker room to congratulate the Reds.[25]