• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'This could change the face of comics': Is coronavirus comic book shops' biggest villain?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

That's what this place has become. 

It’s somewhat fitting as the movie industry is what has been driving the comic industry the past 15 years. Before the movie craze the comic industry was in real trouble. It brought in new collectors who drove the prices of back issues through the roof. Before that most back issues didn’t sell except key issues.

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:
3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

The update hurt this site

Did I miss something? What update LOL?

I believe he is referring to when CGC revamped their chat boards several years ago,and in the process, lost a good portion of the boardies that used to post here.  :gossip:

The boards here are like a dead zone now with some Forums like the SA one or BA not getting any new posts for several hours at a stretch, as compared to the old days when it was jumping with much more action and constant banter.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe he is referring to when CGC revamped their chat boards several years ago,and in the process, lost a good portion of the boardies that used to post here.  

I’ve always found that a very strange outcome, as I’m quite poor at dealing with change and didn’t find the transition too frustrating at all.  I suppose I just focused on it being the same boards and put in a bit of effort to continue on as per normal via a slightly altered interface. Nothing to rage quit over.

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Before I say anything please don't take offense because I mean none by any of what I am about to say. There are multiple venues for your shop to utilize to help your sales. Instragram, Facebook, and Ebay are the top 3 as well as Amazon and Mercari that FB sellers are trying to convince others to join. This is the time you have an opportunity to set up a system and establish how you want to do it. Once established it will provide you another form of income as your shops recover when they re-open.  

We are more then happy to help you because we want shops like you to survive. I can send you a list tomorrow if you want it of books I am looking for from different decades if you will take it and ship the books. I wish you were closer to me because I would live at your store, but you are around 6 hours away from me.  

A shop with your massive inventory is a gold mine online once you have the time do it. And yes it will take some time to learn, establish a system, and build a clientele. But here's the thing they will come. You could even go around all this and start your own website which would lower overhead as well. 

Have you ever considered selling here on this board? There are a lot of people with deep pockets looking for books that I am quite sure you have in your inventory. Plus you wont have to pay ebay costs only paypal.

Just some suggestions. You have posted here for several years and I want to see you here for many more.

Thanks.  All your comments are appreciated, and yes, when it comes to online selling I am still stuck in the Paleolithic Era.

And again... I'm sure other shops have it much worse than me.  In fact... the problems I do face are partly because of our size and number of departments.  Selling our collectibles inventory is not the problem at present.  Whether I sell it today, or next week, or 2 months from now, it's not going anywhere.  The collectibles will be here, and presumably, unless we have total economic collapse, they will still be marketable at some level.  What I'm doing right now is continuing, on my own, to process tons of stuff so that when we re-open, the store will be stocked probably better than it has ever been.  In fact, If I was just running a solo collectibles shop with just myself and maybe a part-time employee, I wouldn't be concerned at all.  I'd simply wait it out.

The problem is with new comics and gaming.  There's no point in putting this online... it's everywhere.  Right now we have about $7k in product from last week's shipment just sitting here.  But fortunately, there won't be more as Diamond-Alliance has ceased shipping... which actually is a big help.  The concern now is the uncertainty from Marvel and DC... are they shipping, are they not shipping, are they doing it some places but not others?  There's a lot of confusion in the industry about what's going on.

As I stated earlier, there is just 4 of us working the shop (before this) and we need to hire more.  But there's no way that is going to happen this year at any rate.  Even when this shutdown is over, the virus may resurface and cause another round of shutdowns in the Fall.  Anyway-- this thread needn't be just about one shop, and you've heard enough about me already.  I'm interested in this thread becoming a forum for other shops to drop in and say how they're doing.  Are you Boardies seeing shops closing up already?  For some is this just a retirement job, and they can still get by on SS and pensions?  Or are you a young person with this business your soul source of income?  In the entire history of Bookery, I have never asked my wife to help out financially with the business, as I like to keep that separate.  But I can, as she's still working, if it comes to that.  I have a line of credit at the bank that I only like to use for large collections that can be paid back in short order... but it can be used for this.  How about others.  Is all of this dire... or something that can still be navigated around and your business will survive?

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Finally sanity from Marvel:

A Message from Dan Buckley 
President, Marvel Entertainment

To all our partners in the retailer community,  

Thank you for all your notes, discussions, and the absolute resolve we have heard and seen from you over the past weeks. This situation has been challenging for everyone, and the safety and well-being of you, your families, and your communities continue to be at the front of our minds.  

As you know, unfortunately there will not be any new print titles available at your shops this week. Marvel will also not be releasing any new comic book titles digitally on April 1. This is a fluid situation with details changing every day, so we appreciate your patience and understanding as we all navigate our way through this. As soon as more information is available, we will outline our longer-term plans and opportunities to support you and the industry.  

If you have any questions in the meantime, please continue to reach out and share your feedback. Revised release dates for our April 1 titles will be shared in the coming weeks.

Please stay safe and well.  

Dan Buckley 
President, Marvel Entertainment

My favorite line is the second to last one. Indicating that it will be weeks before they even announce a revised date for the April 1st books. Finally accepting the reality of the situation. 

As a reminder, 19 days ago my Diamond rep called me wanting to confirm whether FCBD books should be coming UPS or LTL. And that rep was in disbelief when I replied that it would make more sense to push back the date for FCBD altogether. 

That was only 19 days ago.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

In other words, our legal team has been  contacted by Diamond's and have identified that it would cost too much in penalties/fines to release digitally before the print comics are released.

that was good. a bit cynical, but good.

I had mentioned that this would happen.  However, I am surprised that it was one of the big two.  I figured that independent publishers would do this first out of necessity in order to get their product out there and pay off their artists and writers.   Perhaps after the change in leadership over at DC that things are not as financially sound in the comics department as we are led to believe. 

6 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

At the very least the world has moved the time schedule up for the death of printed media. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

@Bookery and @lighthouse

CGC tweeted this yesterday about the comic book legal defense fund... don't know if this helps you in any way. 

http://cbldf.org/2020/03/how-the-cares-act-helps-retailers-creators-other-comics-businesses/

Thanks Buzzetta.  I'm already looking into the payroll loan part, but this is the nicest all-in-one display of basic info I've seen.  If I can cover employees (I've already committed to another 2 weeks on my own), I can probably handle my own mortgage and utility payments.  However, our state "technically" reopens this coming Tuesday.  We all know this isn't going to happen.  But until the governor officially extends the shutdown, I'm not sure I can apply for anything just yet...

I guess lawn care guys are "essential?" Our's showed up today. We were kind of hoping we'd get a $ break this month, but I guess they have their "spring" whatever scheduled.