• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dell Comics (Four Color, Tom & Jerry Comics, Looney Tunes, etc.)
2 2

133 posts in this topic

July 4th weekend always brings back memories of back issue Dells as it was the old weekend of Phil Seuling's annual New York Comic Art Show back in the seventies. I would attend religiously and usually arrive home with stacks of vintage Dells, mostly Disney. I wish I had looked a little deeper back then as I bet I could have picked up some other classic Dell fare for a song. No matter prices on these are still quite reasonable today.

I bought a group of Our Gangs last year and I've been pulling them out to read when I get a chance. Today was issue #20's turn a Cookeville copy to boot. I enjoy Dell's various logos and the small circle aound the ten cents mark is one of my favorites for its simplicity.

OurGang20Cvr.thumb.jpg.82ca62e44e69c28bc98517b079dfb493.jpg

Kicking off with the lead story is Walt Kelly on the Our Gang series. This particular entry was not as good as some others but still fun.I wonder if Mr.Kelly was a wanna be yachtsman as many of these entries have the gang in rowboats off to small islands!

OurGang20Lead.thumb.jpg.3cab43b99819af164f4e065baacab446.jpg

Following the lead story we find Tom and Jerry. When I first looked at the simplicity of the drawing it really struck me as John Stanley and sure enough GCD confirmed my suspicions. A fun little romp.

OurGang20TJ.thumb.jpg.4380297fd877dbdf35dbe78bc8a0dbbd.jpg

Flip and Dip is a funny little strip created by Oscar LeBeck who wanted to create wonderful children's books. These are funny little stories; a bit odd and eccentric for today's audience.

OurGang20FD.thumb.jpg.7914a51f7c8d72d07ca7745c34962e93.jpg

Carl Barks hands in a fun Barney Bear and Benny Burro tale. This one made me chuckle as Barney suffers from nothing but is convinced he is very sick. A great Covid tale!

OurGang20BB.thumb.jpg.ad891031033c5e150893d54fc150619a.jpg

The last entry is pretty forgettable although a bit fun. I'm sure no one remembers this character!

OurGang20Last.thumb.jpg.327f5501b42d9d5f253a48106d8131a8.jpg

And Carl Barks does us the favor of delivering a gag strip on the back cover which is good fun.

OurGang20Back.thumb.jpg.73218aa4235cb63696f9eaa599b5cc2f.jpg

An enjoyable book; lots of fun for a dime in the day and proving as always that "Dell Comics are good Comics!"

On 7/5/2020 at 8:02 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Following the lead story we find Tom and Jerry. When I first looked at the simplicity of the drawing it really struck me as John Stanley and sure enough GCD confirmed my suspicions. A fun little romp.

Weird to think that the Tom and Jerry characters actually have a history of using spoken dialogue that goes way back. I suppose having otherwise silent characters in animation can really come across as different in comics.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 7:02 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

July 4th weekend always brings back memories of back issue Dells as it was the old weekend of Phil Seuling's annual New York Comic Art Show back in the seventies. I would attend religiously and usually arrive home with stacks of vintage Dells, mostly Disney. I wish I had looked a little deeper back then as I bet I could have picked up some other classic Dell fare for a song. No matter prices on these are still quite reasonable today.

I bought a group of Our Gangs last year and I've been pulling them out to read when I get a chance. Today was issue #20's turn a Cookeville copy to boot. I enjoy Dell's various logos and the small circle aound the ten cents mark is one of my favorites for its simplicity.

OurGang20Cvr.thumb.jpg.82ca62e44e69c28bc98517b079dfb493.jpg

Kicking off with the lead story is Walt Kelly on the Our Gang series. This particular entry was not as good as some others but still fun.I wonder if Mr.Kelly was a wanna be yachtsman as many of these entries have the gang in rowboats off to small islands!

OurGang20Lead.thumb.jpg.3cab43b99819af164f4e065baacab446.jpg

Flip and Dip is a funny little strip created by Oscar LeBeck who wanted to create wonderful children's books. These are funny little stories; a bit odd and eccentric for today's audience.

OurGang20FD.thumb.jpg.7914a51f7c8d72d07ca7745c34962e93.jpg

Carl Barks hands in a fun Barney Bear and Benny Burro tale. This one made me chuckle as Barney suffers from nothing but is convinced he is very sick. A great Covid tale!

OurGang20BB.thumb.jpg.ad891031033c5e150893d54fc150619a.jpg

The last entry is pretty forgettable although a bit fun. I'm sure no one remembers this character!

OurGang20Last.thumb.jpg.327f5501b42d9d5f253a48106d8131a8.jpg

And Carl Barks does us the favor of delivering a gag strip on the back cover which is good fun.

OurGang20Back.thumb.jpg.73218aa4235cb63696f9eaa599b5cc2f.jpg

An enjoyable book; lots of fun for a dime in the day and proving as always that "Dell Comics are good Comics!"

After writing this brief note on the timeline of the Dell logo, I discovered that the first logo. a four color image of a flying horse, was also used in stencil format on Our Gang #2, so it might be considered Type 1-B.

Dell Logo Timeline.jpg

Dell_Logo Our Gang #2.jpg

13 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

After writing this brief note on the timeline of the Dell logo, I discovered that the first logo. a four color image of a flying horse, was also used in stencil format on Our Gang #2, so it might be considered Type 1-B.

Dell Logo Timeline.jpg

Dell_Logo Our Gang #2.jpg

Rich, wonder if that was used anywhere else?

10 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Rich, wonder if that was used anywhere else?

Frank, I only found the four examples of the flying horse logo, and the other three were all of the four color variety.  The window of use was very tight, perhaps a month or two, so if people would check their Dell comics from that period, there could easily be more examples on books that I haven't examined.

6 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Frank, I only found the four examples of the flying horse logo, and the other three were all of the four color variety.  The window of use was very tight, perhaps a month or two, so if people would check their Dell comics from that period, there could easily be more examples on books that I haven't examined.

I think you got them all Rich, I looked at the months before and after these books on the Newstand section of Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics and couldn't spot any others. That's a fun site by the way; I've gone back to some of the comics I remember buying off the stands to see what else was for sale at the time.

Newstand