• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dell Comics (Four Color, Tom & Jerry Comics, Looney Tunes, etc.)
2 2

133 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Next is Indian Chief # 31. Love the series. This is sweet since this was the last issue I needed to complete the run. As an added bonus, it has a 10-page John Buscema story inside as do issues # 30 to 33. He did the Red Wing back-up (33 even has 30 pages of Buscema since he did both Red Wing and White Eagle in the final issue of the title) -

485337329_IndianChief31.thumb.jpg.94b5cf991a1f2aa6c4010d5192541b8b.jpg

Boy I wonder if Indian Chief was the inspiration for Turok? He looks somewhat similar.

21 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Here's a new Our Gang.

It's the 3rd cover with T&J and the first one where the title changes to Our Gang with T&J, hence the parade. The hyphenated title would last from # 40 to 59 before conceding to just T&J. I love the non-slick drawing of Tom inside in these issues -

1004689103_OurGang39.thumb.jpg.fdc0f38f60d9aa6b569b482cc4aac446.jpg

So has Tom and Jerry taken over the first story from the Our Gang series at this point? Also is Kelly still doing the Our Gang tales?

1 minute ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

So has Tom and Jerry taken over the first story from the Our Gang series at this point? Also is Kelly still doing the Our Gang tales?

T&J, though on the cover, are still the second story in the book! The strip on the right-side is laid out in the order of the stories inside. First up, Our Gang, then T&J then Flip & Dip, the Benny Burro then Wuff. Kelly is still on Our Gang duties. Eventually (soon), T&J will move to the front of the book.

5 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

T&J, though on the cover, are still the second story in the book! The strip on the right-side is laid out in the order of the stories inside. First up, Our Gang, then T&J then Flip & Dip, the Benny Burro then Wuff. Kelly is still on Our Gang duties. Eventually (soon), T&J will move to the front of the book.

Thanks the Kelly work on Our Gang is a late find for me in my Dell collecting life. Great stuff.

4 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks the Kelly work on Our Gang is a late find for me in my Dell collecting life. Great stuff.

I really do need to track down the last few Our Gang stories by Kelly I'm missing; between the reprints from a few years ago and the originals I have most of them now.

My copies of the first couple issues could use some upgrading, even by my low standards; although other than the cover damage they're all quite solid readers.  I bought 1-5 as a lot on eBay several years ago; starting bid was $40 and nobody else bit.  I think I got a heck of a deal at that price, even with the obvious damage:

Our_Gang_01.jpg

Our_Gang_02.jpg

Our_Gang_03.jpg

Our_Gang_04.jpg

Our_Gang_05.jpg

On 10/24/2020 at 2:03 AM, Scrooge said:

Also new, Henry Aldrich # 14.

I love the frenzy of the OTR series and the comics is decent. This issue with its color scheme is one of my favorite in the series. Drawn by Bill Williams, of G.I. Jane craze, the Henry Aldrich are just not sought after.

One day, I'll get a copy of Michelle Nolan's new book on Archie Rivals in Teen Comics that came out in May so I can read her chapter on Henry Aldrich and the other imitators. Anyone got the book for a quick review here?

506802534_HenryAldrich14.jpg.a2d190a77e2973e4b320bf4933002637.jpg

That's a nice neat '14' in the H there:

14.PNG.e2c6f950c51f19fd9cd4a96899deb039.PNG

It's amazing how many times you see that when the comic doesn't have the number on the cover isn't it :)

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I really do need to track down the last few Our Gang stories by Kelly I'm missing; between the reprints from a few years ago and the originals I have most of them now.

My copies of the first couple issues could use some upgrading, even by my low standards; although other than the cover damage they're all quite solid readers.  I bought 1-5 as a lot on eBay several years ago; starting bid was $40 and nobody else bit.  I think I got a heck of a deal at that price, even with the obvious damage:

Our_Gang_01.jpg

Our_Gang_02.jpg

Our_Gang_03.jpg

Our_Gang_04.jpg

Our_Gang_05.jpg

That's just a heck of a deal to read some great classic work and some material you will simply never find reprinted like the Flip and Dip stories. Also your issue #2 has the elusive Dell Flying Horse logo in full view. @Yellow Kid alerted me to the rarity of that logo.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:03 PM, Scrooge said:

Also new, Henry Aldrich # 14.

I love the frenzy of the OTR series and the comics is decent. This issue with its color scheme is one of my favorite in the series. Drawn by Bill Williams, of G.I. Jane craze, the Henry Aldrich are just not sought after.

One day, I'll get a copy of Michelle Nolan's new book on Archie Rivals in Teen Comics that came out in May so I can read her chapter on Henry Aldrich and the other imitators. Anyone got the book for a quick review here?

506802534_HenryAldrich14.jpg.a2d190a77e2973e4b320bf4933002637.jpg

This issue shows HENRY in DeHaven's Drug store which was located in West Chester, PA...my Father is on the left in this photo of the Soda Fountain in DeHaven's.

IMG   HENRY ALDRICH  PAC (200 dpi)     .jpg

IMG  DeHaven's Drugstore.jpg

Edited by Marty Mann

This thread has been quiet but today to escape Pandemic boredom we took a ride around SoCals Palos Verdes peninsula and stopped at the Terranea Resort for a drink. I’d been here before but had forgotten about the display of Sea Hunt comics on the wall! Fun even though the main room is currently quiet as all dining remains outside! 

EA18B7D7-D4A0-4EAD-9D46-CF1F332C0968.thumb.jpeg.3dbc33dd57bd10ab13e540648a40fe7d.jpeg7EC426B9-6401-495D-9B1C-FE931D231E7D.thumb.jpeg.5fe59a5305cff433167477f4e2816411.jpeg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

With how hot the comic book marketplace has been for the past couple of years, it would appear that some of the heat has finally even managed to find its way over to the once seemingly slower Dell titles, including this Crackajack Funnies run.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :applause:

I remember an early issue of this run selling for a huge premium to guide in a Heritage Auction just last year, and lo and behold, it came back to market in the just completed CL Featured Auction and managed to sell for an even higher dollar amount than what it fetched at Heritage last year.  Another example was this copy of Crackajack Funnies 39 which was also in the same CL Featured Auction and managed to sell for $2,500 or something like 3X condition guide:  (thumbsu

RADE9E312021211_144627.jpg

Love the strong bold colors on this gorgeous copy and it's good at long last to see some of these overlooked Dell's including this much under appreciated and undervalued Crackajack Funnies run finally get their much deserved and long overwaited day in the sun.  :applause: