• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone trust this "authenticated" Stan Lee and Romita signature...?

24 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, kav said:

Not even close.  My god they authenticated that.
image.jpeg.2c034700d16fd041020719f70447b0c5.jpeg

And "they" (he) didn't have to look any further than the J and its proportion to the o (let alone the shape and the fact that the John was laborious drawn on the forgery). While there are very slight variables to Romita's basically printed, block-lettered signature over the years, he's basically a machine type of signor, that is, very consistent, all very much alike with just the smallest details setting them apart from each other. The forgery should have been an easy layup for anyone qualified to authenticate JR.

And this just goes to show that even a very easily forged signature like JR's, devoid of intricate flourishes very hard to negotiate convincingly for a forger, like Carrie Fischer, Donald Trump, etc. ; even a simple block capital letter signature is difficult to forge and the vibe can be detected by those that are sensitive to it, as we were here. Kudos to the OP for spotting it!  (worship)

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

And "they" (he) didn't have to look any further than the J and its proportion to the o (let alone the shape and the fact that the John was laborious drawn on the forgery). While there are very slight variables to Romita's basically printed, block-lettered signature over the years, he's basically a machine type of signor, that is, very consistent, all very much alike with just the smallest details setting them apart from each other. The forgery should have been an easy layup for anyone qualified to authenticate JR.

And this just goes to show that even a very easily forged signature like JR's, devoid of intricate flourishes very hard to negotiate convincingly for a forger, like Carrie Fischer, Donald Trump, etc. ; even a simple block capital letter signature is difficult to forge and the vibe can be detected by those that are sensitive to it, as we were here. Kudos to the OP for spotting it!  (worship)

J was obviously drawn slowly.  the rest was drawn slowly but that J just jumps right out at ya.

Great observations!  What immediately stuck out to me were the giant loops on the "O's"!  Horrible attempt of an obvious forgery.  PGX should be ashamed of itself (tsk) 

Well if they had an ounce of credibility, they would be...

38 minutes ago, mosconi said:

Great observations!  What immediately stuck out to me were the giant loops on the "O's"!  Horrible attempt of an obvious forgery.  PGX should be ashamed of itself (tsk) 

Well if they had an ounce of credibility, they would be...

"They" (He) should be ashamed, but let me tell you, as Kav as accurately pointed out more than once, you can 50% of all COAs issued by supposedly reputable, knowledgeable authentication people/company's and circular file them; 50% aren't worth the paper they're printed on just to begin with. Most autograph "experts" are only experts in one to 10 signatures, and no more!!!  Once autograph authentication became mainstream and moved beyond  submissions seeking the opinions of extremely qualified experts in limited numbers of select autographs, the jack of all trades autograph authenticators mucked up the whole hobby, IMO.

Edited by James J Johnson

10 minutes ago, BigDaddy1 said:

This is why I refuse to buy anything from PGX. 

You have to stand in awe at some of the stuff they've tried to pull off.  This forgery is mild in comparison to their many past transgressions!  I will never forget the "professionally authenticated" Ditko sharpie signature lol

RAD9FAF12016927_155725.jpg

Is that similar to voldey red label verification? 
not very familiar with pgx signature stuff?

1 hour ago, mosconi said:

You have to stand in awe at some of the stuff they've tried to pull off.  This forgery is mild in comparison to their many past transgressions!  I will never forget the "professionally authenticated" Ditko sharpie signature lol

RAD9FAF12016927_155725.jpg

Yeah I remember that too, I think when they did that was when I made that decision to never trust them. Still funny they tried to pass it off though!

11 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Makes me have more respect for CGCs authentication procedures and signature series (not that I already didn't) and the cavalier manner in which they describe an unauthorized signature.

Ink scribbled on front:roflmao:

CGC's signature series protocol transcends authentication. It's verification! No opinion is involved whatsoever, meaning all guesswork is eliminated. It's not an opinion-based authentication. It's fact without speculation. If the CGC rep doesn't see the signor put pen to paper right in front of their eyes, it doesn't get the yellow label! 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

CGC's signature series protocol transcends authentication. It's verification! No opinion is involved whatsoever, meaning all guesswork is eliminated. It's not an opinion-based authentication. It's fact without speculation. If the CGC rep doesn't see the signor put pen to paper right in front of their eyes, it doesn't get the yellow label! 

Exactly 

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

CGC's signature series protocol transcends authentication. It's verification!

ask @Buzzetta about this.