• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Spider-Man, FF, X-men , Superman Batman opinions

5 posts in this topic

I am just getting back into comics after a 10-15 year break. I am wondering if any of my old favourites are any good especially Spider-Man and Batman. I read somewhere that Peter and MJ we’re divorced, Peter is dead. I hear there is a new character in Batman, the Jokers new girl friend. Are any of these titles worth picking up again and where should I jump back in if at all?

Peter died back in 2012. It was actually a pretty good story and led into Superior Spider-Man. The Amazing Spider-Man series is back, though, and I think it's pretty good. 

I haven't been keeping up with the main Batman series, but DC has been putting out comics under their Black Label that have been solid. Curse of the White Knight is still going right now and it's worth the read. Same with Batman's Grave. Last Knight on Earth was only 3 issues in 2019 but it was great. 

IMO, X-men has been the best of the group.  Probably the easiest to get back into as there hasn't been too many.  House of X and Powers of X are great starting points. 

Batman's not too shabby.  A lot more to read.  Last two volumes would be good "starting" points.  Catwoman/Batman thing frustrated many, but not that big of a deal. 

I'm not a huge Superman fan, but Bendis has been on the book and there aren't too many.  He's definitely threw a number of plot twists to get interest.  Just hasn't resonated with me. 

FF hasn't been good, IMO, for a very long time.  There's a reason they were gone for a long time. 

Patrick

12 hours ago, Silvers24 said:

Wait, so we are 8 years with a dead parker? I missed the entire superior thing. And still have not picked them up.

I do think I got the asm 1 reboot. but seeing as I haven't read it, can't remember. 

Parker isn't dead now. His death came in ASM 700, which was released at the end of 2012. Superior Spider-man picked up from there and ran for 31 issues before Peter came back. ASM picked back up with Vol. 3 and has been going with Peter ever since. 

I really liked the Superior run. I think it was pretty controversial/hated at the time, but I didn't pick it up until a couple of years ago when I started reading and collecting again.