• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The definitive Blankis-Salida thread
2 2

113 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, comick1 said:

Here're a couple more.

Bill Battle #3
Just couldn't resist the rhetoric on the cover of this one. The pages on this are nuclear white.

Bbattle.jpg

Bbattlea.jpg

Is that a shiny new kitchen counter underneath? 

17 hours ago, buttock said:

Is that a shiny new kitchen counter underneath? 

Yes, it's ironic that my remaining Salidas should be pictured on top of that. . .in a way, over the years, there were at least a few Salidas [and other killer books] that covered the cost of that and the new kitchen around it. Ah well, it was overdue anyway. Good eye, there, Dan.

Oh man, those are nice.
Where to begin. . .
That Fightin' Marines might be my fav so far. The dark greens with that washtone effect. Cuhrayyyzeeeee nice!  Ziff-Davis GI Joes are tough in grade and unheard of in THAT kinda grade. Again, the colors. Such a pleasure to see them as they were meant to be seen in the wild. The Battles are just truly beyond belief. That #40 is one I've never seen before (pretty sure). The Heath signature threw me off, but it looks like it's Heath doing the ENTIRE cover except the guys face. I swear that's Maneely doing the guy's face. What do you think?

4 minutes ago, comick1 said:

Oh man, those are nice.
Where to begin. . .
That Fightin' Marines might be my fav so far. The dark greens with that washtone effect. Cuhrayyyzeeeee nice!  Ziff-Davis GI Joes are tough in grade and unheard of in THAT kinda grade. Again, the colors. Such a pleasure to see them as they were meant to be seen in the wild. The Battles are just truly beyond belief. That #40 is one I've never seen before (pretty sure). The Heath signature threw me off, but it looks like it's Heath doing the ENTIRE cover except the guys face. I swear that's Maneely doing the guy's face. What do you think?

I agree completely on the Battle.  I found a blog post a while back that showed some examples where Atlas had one artist edit another's, mainly Burgos and mainly to get past the code.  

http://timely-atlas-comics.blogspot.com/2016/10/atlas-errata-cover-alterations-and.html?m=1

This one looks more like Stan Lee just wanted the face to look a little different so he gave it to Maneeley.  But it makes you wonder about other covers that are clearly blended efforts.  

1 hour ago, comick1 said:

I swear that's Maneely doing the guy's face. What do you think?

Completely agree. I don't recall ever seeing a face like that on a Heath figure.