• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The definitive Blankis-Salida thread
2 2

113 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, buttock said:

I wish I could say.  

So much for "definitive". :facepalm:

34 minutes ago, buttock said:

Definitive within the limits of public knowledge? (shrug)

Other than my participation, this has definitively been the most knowledgeable pedigree discussion in a while.

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Other than my participation, this has definitively been the most knowledgeable pedigree discussion in a while.

My knowledge would be enhanced by you selling your Salidas to me. Then I would be more authoritative of a source.  

9 minutes ago, buttock said:

My knowledge would be enhanced by you selling your Salidas to me. Then I would be more authoritative of a source.  

If I find really nice replacements then I promise they are yours. (thumbsu ( I only need twelve or so pre code DC War books. HELP!)

12 hours ago, buttock said:

I don't think I would be attracted to another copy of this book, but dang that's nice!

I just realized I put up my bad old scan.

SSWS46salida.jpg

16 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Did I hear someone mention pre code DC War?

SSWS18.jpg

That's one I need. Let's trade!

3 hours ago, buttock said:

Cookie's Place stamp :cloud9:

If they had chocolate chip, I probably would have bought the cookies. :blush:

This is the only Salida that I have seen with this distributor mark.  Maybe "NS"?

SSWS14.jpg

46 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

This is the only Salida that I have seen with this distributor mark.  Maybe "NS"?

SSWS14.jpg

I have 2 issues of "Battle Cry" with an 'ns' code.  I always just thought it was due to the publisher, but I guess not! 

MVIMG_20200212_104252.jpg

5 minutes ago, buttock said:

I have 2 issues of "Battle Cry" with an 'ns' code.  I always just thought it was due to the publisher, but I guess not! 

Since yours is definitely an "NS" it seems safe to consider that the same code is used on mine, though written by a different person.

Some distributors handled multiple publishers so you'll see the same code used for more than one.  DC owned their own distribution network but perhaps they handled other publishers as well?  IIRC, they eventually handled Playboy.

6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Since yours is definitely an "NS" it seems safe to consider that the same code is used on mine, though written by a different person.

Some distributors handled multiple publishers so you'll see the same code used for more than one.  DC owned their own distribution network but perhaps they handled other publishers as well?  IIRC, they eventually handled Playboy.

Never mind, I was wrong. Edited. 

Edited by buttock

In that first spectacular box of Salidas that Bruce sent was this. Up until that point, the best I could find of an OAAW 88 was a VG and even THAT was an anomaly. Not counting the prototypes, there are thirty 10¢ issues of Our Army at War that feature the definitive Sgt. Rock. Those and the early 12¢ issues comprise one of the great treasures that DC released during that time period. The Kubert art alone is just that perfect sweet spot that showcased his genius better than anything else. This is and has always been one of the three most difficult to find in high grade. When that box arrived with this in it, my jaw dropped. Just bone-white pages. Staggeringly bright colors and fresh like it was printed yesterday. Like the OFF 51 which came out the same month, it has no distributor mark.

Oaaw88.jpg

I've always felt that THIS is the actual first cover appearance of Sgt. Rock. He doesn't have his helmet with the rockers nor does his battle-shredded outfit reveal his rank, but that face is Sgt. Rock. The thing that people get hung up with is that the story sequence inside has a soldier who stays behind to sacrifice himself for Easy and that soldier is NOT Rock in the story.

But it was a very common practice to alter components on the cover that don't align with the story inside in order to maximize impact and grab the readers' eyes. Kids had a LOT of competing interests for their dimes. This was Rock's 6th appearance. He'd been appearing for half a year and the fan mail was likely piling up for this new Rock guy. Kanigher was notorious for bending continuity and I'd bet your bottom bippy that he just told Kubert to put Rock's countenance on the cover. . .interior story be dåmned. If you don't consider this the first cover appearance, and opt for the #90 instead, that's cool. #90 definitely is more definitive. Like so many of the war comics stable for all the prototypes, 1st appearances, and keys, there's not always a linear clear-cut answer.

But that face is Rock.

Edited by comick1

On 3/28/2020 at 12:06 PM, adamstrange said:

There was only one superhero book in the whole collection, a Detective.  There were some Rex the Wonder Dogs because some of the early issues had war covers.

I have only run across one DC Funny Animal:

RealScreen32.jpg

Here's another funny animal, not DC. 

MVIMG_20200419_115657.jpg

8 minutes ago, buttock said:

Here's another funny animal, not DC. 

Blankis definitely loved funny animals but most likely it was the Carl Barks art/stories since the Disney comics predominate.