• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back of Marvel art, 1977 - Help, Who is this?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Hello Art Experts,

A challenge - does anyone know if the face below is a comic character or Marvel creator?

On the back of an Andru ASM 171 page from 1977 the front of the page has no mustached men (or women)

Please reply in the thread so we can have the power of the community brought to bear on this serious question

Thanks for replying!

Mark

Andru Esposito ASM 171 p 2 face on back.jpg

I need to check the index in Dave Hunt's autobiography to be sure, but Dave may have provided uncredited background inks for this page and drew that as a warm-up on the back.  It kind of looks like Dave.  I'll check later tonight and let you know.  Best, Lee

On 3/28/2020 at 12:34 PM, mtlevy1 said:

Hello Art Experts,

A challenge - does anyone know if the face below is a comic character or Marvel creator?

On the back of an Andru ASM 171 page from 1977 the front of the page has no mustached men (or women)

Please reply in the thread so we can have the power of the community brought to bear on this serious question

Thanks for replying!

Mark

Andru Esposito ASM 171 p 2 face on back.jpg

I saw this the other day and my curiosity was peaked.  I did not recognize it as a Marvel character.

On 3/28/2020 at 7:34 PM, mtlevy1 said:

Hello Art Experts,

Thanks for replying!

Mark

Andru Esposito ASM 171 p 2 face on back.jpgWhy Stan Lee saw Spider-Man as a regular guy | CBC Archives

Moustache, big chin, bag under eye, floppy blonde hair...

It's 70's Stan Bloody Lee! 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Moustache, big chin, bag under eye, floppy blonde hair...

It's 70's Stan Bloody Lee! 

Not so certain, even messing around Ross probably would have gotten closer, unless of course it wasn't Ross but Mike Esposito (which it doesn't look like to me) or Dave Hunt drawing the figure.

Here is Ross's take from ASM #169.  

image.png.2a297afabcabf7d1437e2f50bb57215e.png

10 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

So far we have a rare early concept sketch for Tony Starks' dad :)  - awaiting Mr. Hunt's response!

Based on the records I have reviewed, Dave Hunt did not provide uncredited background inks for ASM #171.  He apparently stopped doing that with ASM #170.  Dave might have still been in the Marvel Bullpen on a daily basis, working alongside Mike Esposito.  Here's a self-portrait that Dave drew for DC after he started working there in the late 1970s/early 1980s.  The sketch on the back of the ASM #171 page looks a bit old and haggard to be Dave, but who knows?  Best, Lee

DaveHunt SelfPortrait DC.jpg

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:

Not so certain, even messing around Ross probably would have gotten closer, unless of course it wasn't Ross but Mike Esposito (which it doesn't look like to me) or Dave Hunt drawing the figure.

Here is Ross's take from ASM #169.  

image.png.2a297afabcabf7d1437e2f50bb57215e.png

Mebbe. His Elton John aint much cop.

Here's the rest of the back to that ASM 171 original art page.

image.png.5e676d986f23c3b4eec43fc0978a0956.pngSo Stan Lee once posed for a naked centrefold - The Beat

It's him! They're his legs too!

8 minutes ago, Lee B. said:

Based on the records I have reviewed, Dave Hunt did not provide uncredited background inks for ASM #171.  He apparently stopped doing that with ASM #170.  Dave might have still been in the Marvel Bullpen on a daily basis, working alongside Mike Esposito.  Here's a self-portrait that Dave drew for DC after he started working there in the late 1970s/early 1980s.  The sketch on the back of the ASM #171 page looks a bit old and haggard to be Dave, but who knows?  Best, Lee

Do you have a list of ASM issues Dave worked on?  I know you worked on the book, so if you would prefer not to give out that info, I totally understand. 

That's too funny.

I think it was someone just messing around.

Yep. 

Photon rocked that suit didn't he.