• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back of Marvel art, 1977 - Help, Who is this?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep. 

Photon rocked that suit didn't he. 

I never knew what to make of Photon. I loved the issue since it had Nova, but Photon seemed like a throw away villain.  Not sure if he ever appeared again in another marvel comic.

1 minute ago, Spider-Variant said:

I never knew what to make of Photon. I loved the issue since it had Nova, but Photon seemed like a throw away villain.  Not sure if he ever appeared again in another marvel comic.

I heard he joined the Rocket Racer and the Big Wheel and created a super group fronted by the Mind Worm. They're big in Poland apparently. 

35 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Do you have a list of ASM issues Dave worked on?  I know you worked on the book, so if you would prefer not to give out that info, I totally understand. 

I can probably dig up a spreadsheet that I put together when I was working on the book with Dave.  Dave was very meticulous about recording all of his freelance jobs as they occurred, down to the individual pages.  He recorded all of the information on a bundle of index cards that he kept his entire life.  It was an amazing resource for the book.  Here's an example of some of the cards, listing several uncredited inking jobs he did for Joe Sinnott on Fantastic Four, among other things.  This is all presented in a much easier-to-read fashion in the book.  (And I am happy to sell a signed (by me) copy to anyone who needs some good quarantine reading!)  Best, Lee

DH Marvel Index Cards Complete_5 (1).jpg

On 3/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, mtlevy1 said:

Hello Art Experts,

A challenge - does anyone know if the face below is a comic character or Marvel creator?

On the back of an Andru ASM 171 page from 1977 the front of the page has no mustached men (or women)

Please reply in the thread so we can have the power of the community brought to bear on this serious question

Thanks for replying!

Mark

Andru Esposito ASM 171 p 2 face on back.jpg

Ok, a lot of discussion, a lot of it not on topic (I blame myself and @Get Marwood & I because we love to talk all things Andru)

To answer the original question, I do not believe the figure pictured is an actual Marvel character.

Harry Dean in the issue does have a mustache, but it is much thinner and the figure does not look like him.

I also do not believe it to be Stan Lee.  Nor his legs (from the rest of the art on the backside).

IMHO, it's just someone messing around.

2 hours ago, Lee B. said:

I can probably dig up a spreadsheet that I put together when I was working on the book with Dave.  Dave was very meticulous about recording all of his freelance jobs as they occurred, down to the individual pages.  He recorded all of the information on a bundle of index cards that he kept his entire life.  It was an amazing resource for the book.  Here's an example of some of the cards, listing several uncredited inking jobs he did for Joe Sinnott on Fantastic Four, among other things.  This is all presented in a much easier-to-read fashion in the book.  (And I am happy to sell a signed (by me) copy to anyone who needs some good quarantine reading!)  Best, Lee

DH Marvel Index Cards Complete_5 (1).jpg

I can recommend the book it was quite interesting.