• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Social distancing

59 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

For us Comic-geeks instead of hockey sticks and Ak-47's for measuring distance, we should be practicing a social distancing of 12 comics or 7 magazines or 5 treasuries distance.

.........or 3 long boxes.

4 minutes ago, mrc said:

.........or 3 long boxes.

Isn’t that to far? Would 2 long boxes be 6ft ? 

9 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

so that this thread can stay in Comics General and not be moved to the Water Cooler allow me to add a comic book angle to the discussion.

For us Comic-geeks instead of hockey sticks and Ak-47's for measuring distance, we should be practicing a social distancing of 12 comics or 7 magazines or 5 treasuries distance.

Time to get out my read copies and place them 6ft apart 

41 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

For us Comic-geeks instead of hockey sticks and Ak-47's for measuring distance, we should be practicing a social distancing of 12 comics or 7 magazines

It's a good point.

I'll be choosing my comics and magazines carefully to best promote an isolationist response.  Maybe something physically aggressive and intimidating would be a good defence, such Shang-Chi and Iron Fist material, or knife-related such as Blade or Warpath.  I'm sure there's a character out there tooled up with an AK-47, but I'll leave that to someone else. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On the way home from work last night I noticed an awful lot of traffic on our streets, and quite a few pedestrians, even for a normal Saturday. Friday last week had about half of what I saw last night.

People here are becoming complacent, though I hear our county now has 6 cases (or 6 new cases, making it 8 total- I haven't checked yet).

Our Post Office didn't seem to be practicing it at all when I was there a couple days ago.

Edited by MR SigS

58 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

Our Post Office didn't seem to be practicing it at all when I was there a couple days ago.

First thing in the morning, the supermarket tried enforcing 2m separation and limiting numbers of customers entering the store to allow for safe space inside, and asked the customers not to all crowd together into one area at once.  There was a very long, slow-moving queue around the block; much too busy and stressful for me, and I went back 3 hours later. The queue had dissipated, but no entry controls to the store, no social distancing inside, still busy, negating the limited efforts observed earlier on.  The store had tried for a short time that day but had soon lost grip; management completely out of their depth in a very difficult, unprecedented situation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Lakeview looks like ghost town...., or...., even more ghostlier than usual.  Some of the main streets are completely devoid of folks at mid-day.

In my area of England, it appears that we'll need a one person per household, nominated individual for essential outdoor journeys and police checks to compensate for the stupidity I've seen while out for food and medication.

21 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Hey Scott -

Lakeview looks like ghost town...., or...., even more ghostlier than usual.  Some of the main streets are completely devoid of folks at mid-day.  There are crowds at Safeway and Liquor store/Quick Stop, and few folks huddled at the entrances of the restaurants offering take out service.  Really kind of eerie.  I was working at the Elks yesterday on the monthly newsletter and processing membership cards. I stopped by the PO on the way home - it was empty as usual for a Saturday, but I noticed they had the black and yellow construction(?) tape on the floors, designating where people should stand to keep them separated.

I took the dog up for a long walk in the woods above town on Thursday about 2 pm, and while I really didn't see anyone out in town on the drive up to the pool to park the car, as we were climbing the hill, several others parked there too, and many cars vroomed up the canyon. As we got up to the top, I could hear what sounded like multiple people practicing at the gun range - getting ready for the zombie apocalypse, or maybe the march on Salem. We hiked up about two miles, and I thought as we walked that mile back down the canyon road to the truck, I would have to really watch the dog, so he didn't get run over by the traffic.  Not a single car came by, which was really odd at mid-day.  But I must admit it was kind of spitting snow on us the whole way, so maybe the amount of people I thought were out was deceptive.

Hiya Mike,

Do you have any confirmed cases out there? My wife texted me a moment ago and said we do have 6 new cases, making a total of 8.

Yesterday my co-worker from our opposite shift (60 yrs old) felt cooped up I guess, so he took his dirt bike out and wrecked it (again), screwing up his back. Now I'll need to work extra days to cover his absence. So much for staying in as much as possible lol

My wife's job is also considered essential, so she's out Mon-Fri. Our grandson just hangs out all day in the house, just how a 14 year old likes it. zzz

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

so that this thread can stay in Comics General and not be moved to the Water Cooler allow me to add a comic book angle to the discussion.

Or even easier to picture, the average male standing broad jump is about 6 feet! Social distance from at least the distance you figure it would take to jump onto someone's toes!

7 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

Hiya Mike,

Do you have any confirmed cases out there? My wife texted me a moment ago and said we do have 6 new cases, making a total of 8.

Yesterday my co-worker from our opposite shift (60 yrs old) felt cooped up I guess, so he took his dirt bike out and wrecked it (again), screwing up his back. Now I'll need to work extra days to cover his absence. So much for staying in as much as possible lol

My wife's job is also considered essential, so she's out Mon-Fri. Our grandson just hangs out all day in the house, just how a 14 year old likes it. zzz

Not that I'm aware of, but we're not really out there on social media. The good thing about the overtime (if it's not destroying you) is, "hey, more comics!"

Our Incident Management Team is up for assignments. I had some training the first week in March, and everyone was sure we'd get pulled into the coronavirus stuff, doing quarantines somewhere, but so far, nothing.

Sandi has been home for two weeks and is really enjoying the taste of retirement - I think this might push her to fully retire at the end of this year.  We're actually having a really good time in our "isolation", which is basically our natural preferred state anyway.  I miss drinking with the guys down at the Elks, but nothing I can't do at home...., lol except no guys...,

Edited by lizards2

My concern is how the new social-distancing protocols will affect the way super-heroes and super-villains interact with each other. Unless they're able to hurl or project their attack from more than 6 feet away, like magnetism, flames, mystic and cosmic bolts, etc., etc., how do the characters that rely upon physically engaging an enemy combatant do battle? Just throw things at one another? hm

16 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

If it's WW2 vintage or can be identified as IJA (Imperial Japanese Army (WW2 used), it was issued as a sign of rank and can be of higher value.  :gossip:

I don’t think so. The mass produced stainless steel display swords they wore are worth a few hundred depending on condition. This is a hand made blade with a signature on the Nakago. We don’t know how old it actually is or put much research into it so it could still only be worth about $800 at the low end, but I like the actual samurai blade in it 

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I don’t think so. The mass produced stainless steel display swords they wore are worth a few hundred depending on condition. This is a hand made blade with a signature on the Nakago. We don’t know how old it actually is or put much research into it so it could still only be worth about $800 at the low end, but I like the actual samurai blade in it 

This is the perfect time for you to start practicing Kenjutsu! We're all stuck in our caves now. Begin!! (worship)

33 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

My grandpa still has it in his closet :smile:

All the better. An excellent opportunity. When you visit him again, start your training with close-quarter combat!  If you can learn to fight in such a tight confines, think of how adept you'll be once you come out of the closet! :gossip:

I guess this lady at bar was practicing social distancing on me-
Me: "Is this seat empty?"
Her: "Yes and if you sit there, this seat is gonna be empty too"
:sorry:

Went to another woman-
"Can I buy you a drink?"
"Only if you put the money down on the bar and leave"

Thankfully, I have been practicing social distancing for years as a neighbor of mine is not one to regularly bathe. A nice fellow, otherwise.