• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does the back cover condition weigh with the overall CGC grade?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, Carnage1992 said:

Just curious.  I have a number of silver age comics with nice covers, but some have tanning on the back cover or small stains.  Thanks!

Please keep in mind that other factors can also determine the grade of the book. Page quality, staple integrity and condition, pieces missing from the interior, tape, tears, and writing are just some of the things that can also significantly impact the overall grade...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

The back cover does affect the overall grade.

One of the things I like to do is grade the front and back cover separately. For instance, if the front cover is Near Mint and the back cover is Very Fine, the overall grade would be VF/NM. Many of the graders I've known use this strategy because it's easy and it makes sense...   

This is interesting. I hadn't thought to grade like that with the middle ground coming in this instance above for the grade. I would've wound up with the issue being a VF due to the back cover.

I grade the front cover first and then flip to the back and see if there are defects that take the grade down further than the front cover.

18 hours ago, Carnage1992 said:

Thanks everyone for your responses!  I thought the back cover may be weighed less for the overall CGC grade.

If I may, I'd use the term "factored into the final grade" to describe the back cover---it can go either way. I hope this helps, and stay well...

On 3/30/2020 at 2:14 PM, Asianassassincomics said:

I grade the front cover first and then flip to the back and see if there are defects that take the grade down further than the front cover.

That's how I grade. I then look insude the book and do the same.

But yeah, the back cover counts as much as the front cover. So staining on the back would be as bad, to me, as staining on the front.