• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Tomb Of Dracula 1
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Book does present well.  And, hey, it is a great book to have!  I would say the grade is likely a 6.5 (fine +). 

As you noted, the foxing / dirt on the back cover is going to hurt the grade.  There also appears to be a slight bend at the low right corner of the back cover but that might just be an illusion due to the foxing.  On the front cover there is a small bend at the top left corner and what appears to be colour loss (or dirt) along the top (just above the "s" in comics).  There also appears to be some colour loss along the bottom of the front cover.  Based on all on of this, that is why I am thinking 6.5 (fine +). 

From what I have seen from pressing results, I think a press would help considerably with minimizing the ripple along the bottom of the book.   

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah that’s where I had it around 5.0

I bought four years ago when the market in it wasn’t crazy. I was looking at prices lately and man they are high! 

Yes, really been rising in value. Not sure why though. I think there's speculation about Werewolf by Night, which has also been rising in value. Could have been some Marvel announcement I'm forgetting.

I’m at 5.0 too. Does the book smell musty at all? The BC spine and bottom edge areas looks like some mold or mildew stains with the foxing, which might make sense if it was exposed to moisture.

If no musty odor then it’s probably dirt. I think you might be able to get a 6.0 or maybe 6.5 with a good dry clean and pressing.

7 minutes ago, ChrispyC66 said:

I’m at 5.0 too. Does the book smell musty at all? The BC spine and bottom edge areas looks like some mold or mildew stains with the foxing, which might make sense if it was exposed to moisture.

If no musty odor then it’s probably dirt. I think you might be able to get a 6.0 or maybe 6.5 with a good dry clean and pressing.

No odour other than the sweet smell of an older comic :)

6 hours ago, UHA said:

Call me crazy, but the book looks trimmed at the bottom?

Because of the letters being cut off? Hmmm I suppose it is possible although I swear I have seen other copies like this and have always chalked it up to printing error...like a miscut. There isn’t anything else I can see suggesting trimming.

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Because of the letters being cut off? Hmmm I suppose it is possible although I swear I have seen other copies like this and have always chalked it up to printing error...like a miscut. There isn’t anything else I can see suggesting trimming.

It’s not trimmed at the bottom. It’s just a bad off center print for the front cover. There are plenty of examples of off center covers for this book on go collect and auction sites.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

True, never occurred to me to be a print error.

1 hour ago, ChrispyC66 said:

It’s not trimmed at the bottom. It’s just a bad off center print for the front cover. There are plenty of examples of off center covers for this book on go collect and auction sites.

Got it, thanks!