• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bound Volume Query

9 posts in this topic

Bought some GA bound volumes years ago.  A well-know GA superhero; the volumes include the key book from the run and a few of the classic covers.    

The comics books in each are in beautiful condition, with incredibly vibrant and defect-free covers and ow/w or c/ow pages throughout.  Spines seem to be intact (not cut in the binding process), but presumably, they are all stitched into the volume, and all are trimmed on 3 sides.  

Question: more valuable as-is? Or taken apart where I'd have beautiful copies - but that are trimmed and likely have stitching holes?

21 minutes ago, LearnedHand said:

Bought some GA bound volumes years ago.  A well-know GA superhero; the volumes include the key book from the run and a few of the classic covers.    

The comics books in each are in beautiful condition, with incredibly vibrant and defect-free covers and ow/w or c/ow pages throughout.  Spines seem to be intact (not cut in the binding process), but presumably, they are all stitched into the volume, and all are trimmed on 3 sides.  

Question: more valuable as-is? Or taken apart where I'd have beautiful copies - but that are trimmed and likely have stitching holes?

My opinion is that unless it is a provenance volume ( ie archive / file / creator bound ) all the money is tied up in that one key issue. That being said I’m a fan of keeping the history of the collector ( and how they collected ) “ as is “.  Assume you do not want to share who the hero is and what key issue ? All pages accounted for ? ( CF, ads, both covers , non hero stories if applicable )

29 minutes ago, LearnedHand said:

I prefer them bound.  Just my preference. 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It's no secret how much I like and collect bound volumes. I even started a thread on them a while back.

I am in the camp of leaving them they way they are. You never know what shape they will be in when they are taken apart and they will always be damaged to a degree in one way or another. I really like having them all together historicaly and for ease of reading. People love them, and depending what they are they can bring a lot more money as is rather than taken apart.

Here is my Wings bound volume of #1-12. It was a Fiction House office copy that belonged to George Tuska. These are beautiful glossy, copies just the way they are. I had him sign it at SDCC many years ago.

I have a number of others including two volumes of all the Barks Donald Duck one shots and two volumes of Uncle Scrooge #1-40. So great to read one after another.

bvwing0.jpg

bvwings0a.JPG

bvwings1.jpg

bvwings2.jpg

bvwings3.jpg

bvwings4.jpg

bvwings5.jpg

bvwings6.jpg

bvwings7.jpg

bvwings8.jpg

bvwings9.jpg

bvwings10.jpg

bvwings11.jpg

bvwings12.jpg

Very cool. Have you ever seen any marvel / timely  publisher bound volumes in a private collection ?

18 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Very cool. Have you ever seen any marvel / timely  publisher bound volumes in a private collection ?

Only one that I know of any it was disasembled. It was a volume of early Marvel Mystery (possibly others) from the Lloyd Jaquette publisher file find.