• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Every DC COMICS Issue from 1935 – 2016 to be Auctioned as Complete Set by SOTHEBY'S
2 2

130 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Also there is a possibility the new owner downgraded some them....the mystery continues 

Richard (Sotheby’s)  told me he thought the tec 27 and action 1 had been upgraded. He’s getting me list 

Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, I am not Glenda said:

To each his own, but honestly only on these boards would I be seeing post with " well it's not an original owner collection, some books have restoration, its way over priced, Jesus just the fact that anybody has every comic ever published by DC is an an amazing achievement and in some ways even more impressive than an original owner collection regardless of the condition of any specific book, Just my 2 cents

But he wasn't even the first to put together a complete DC collection.

As I recall Gary Carter and his brother was trying to get, got or almost got a complete DC collection and I as I recall it very high grade and it sold to somebody in Japan...now that was a very long time ago. There could be at least 3 complete collections out there or more. The  current owner could also have been a bidder on those Action 1 high grades...possibly an underbidder or the new owner bought them on speculation and upgraded. More info should come, is anybody on friendly terms with the former owner, he has not been on the boards since 2011, this is the tip of the iceberg as to what is gonna hit the market....

Edited by Mmehdy

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

But he wasn't even the first to put together a complete DC collection.

So..... it's still an amazing accomplishment. Not  trying to be rude in anyway buy your comment was what I was talking about in my earlier post. For god sake unless its 9.0 Action #1 with a pedigree SOME people on this board just seem to always have certain sarcastic vibe to all but the most exclusive books & owners, not everyone. But on this board and in this category (GA) more than most imho. I can tell you this from being on other comic sites and from being a collector for 40 of my 52 years having a complete collection of every DC comic ( even if its only to 2014) in the real world is a BIG DEAL. Even if he was the 4, 5th or 7th guy to do it & they were all coverless with brittle pages. Just take one minute & think about the dedication, time and money to even try and do that today. I can also tell you even in the 1980/90s it was no easy task.

Edited by I am not Glenda

6 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

So..... it's still an amazing accomplishment. Not  trying to be rude in anyway buy your comment was what I was talking about in my first post earlier. For god sake unless its 9.0 Action #1 with a pedigree SOME people on this board just seem to always have certain sarcastic vibe to all but the most exclusive books & owners, not everyone. But on this board and in this category (GA) more than most imho. I can tell you this from being on other comic sites and from being a collector for 40 of my 52 years having a complete collection of every DC comic ( even if its only to 2014) in the real world is a BIG DEAL. Even if he was the 4, 5th or 7th guy to do it & they were all coverless with brittle pages. Just take one minute & think about the dedication, time and money to even try and do that today. I can also tell you even in the 1980/90s it was no easy task.

Agree.  I'm the type of guy who downgrades because I don't want the responsibility of owning a top of census book.  So I hear you.  

2 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

So..... it's still an amazing accomplishment, if he was 20th so what? Not trying to be rude in anyway buy your comment was what I was talking about in terms of reaction on this board and For god sake unless its 9.0 Action #1 with a pedigree SOME people on this board just seem to always have certain sarcastic vibe to all but the most exclusive of book, no everyone but on this board and in this category (GA) more than most imho. I can tell you this from being on other sites and from being a collector for 40 of my 52 years having a complete collection of every DC in the real world is a BIG DEAL. Even if he was the 4, 5th or 7th guy to do it & they were all cover less with brittle pages. Just take one minute & think about the dedication, time and money to even try and do that today. I can also tell you even in the 1980s it was no easy task.

To put it in the best light possible, Ian did not comport himself in the most congenial manner when he was on the Boards.  For many who were witness to it, his personal story became intertwined with his accomplishment and that still colors their perception of the achievement.

3 hours ago, speedcake said:

I would if the price were right and I was made of money. 

No you wouldn’t... you’d buy nicer examples of the 500 books you actually wanted and skip the other 39,500!

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

To put it in the best light possible, Ian did not comport himself in the most congenial manner when he was on the Boards.  For many who were witness to it, his personal story became intertwined with his accomplishment and that still colors their perception of the achievement.

That's fair enough and something I have no knowledge of.

10 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

So..... it's still an amazing accomplishment. Not  trying to be rude in anyway buy your comment was what I was talking about in my earlier post. For god sake unless its 9.0 Action #1 with a pedigree SOME people on this board just seem to always have certain sarcastic vibe to all but the most exclusive books & owners, not everyone. But on this board and in this category (GA) more than most imho. I can tell you this from being on other comic sites and from being a collector for 40 of my 52 years having a complete collection of every DC comic ( even if its only to 2014) in the real world is a BIG DEAL. Even if he was the 4, 5th or 7th guy to do it & they were all coverless with brittle pages. Just take one minute & think about the dedication, time and money to even try and do that today. I can also tell you even in the 1980/90s it was no easy task.

No doubt.   I think he just wore out his welcome here really quickly.

45 minutes ago, Bronty said:

No you wouldn’t... you’d buy nicer examples of the 500 books you actually wanted and skip the other 39,500!

I dunno. Again, the price would have to be right and I'd have to be made of money. Neither of these are ever likely to happen in my lifetime, so meh.  I'll just continue accumulating silver and bronze age Marvel. Forever.

15 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

I have to say, you do have a bit of a valid point here, notwithstanding that many on here don't like the guy. There can be a "vibe", as you say,  sometimes on the GA boards that likes to  pick apart  big books for sale, even CGC'd ones, arguing for lower grades and prices for some reason. Sometimes it's valid for clearly over-inflated asks, but sometimes it's not IMO.

I think it's just part of being on such a site as the Boards with all kinds (collectors vs. dealers, sellers vs. buyers), and you have to navigate and educate yourself accordingly. At the end of the day, it is THE most informative place to learn about GA, and I learn here every day even after being here for over 10 years...... I still consider myself a rookie compared to the big boys like Gator (THE best for sure :smile:)

I tried to answer my own question via google, but I failed. Who is/was Christine Farrell? All I've been able to learn is that she has or had a complete or nearly complete D.C. collection, but I can find no articles, pictures, or other references to her or the collection outside of the forum here.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:58 PM, SuperBird said:

Prediction: this doesn't sell through Sotheby's, and is later either auctioned off piecemeal, or sold direct to a dealer. 

That makes sense to me. Not sure if the small handful of folks who would have the funds to do this will be interested; surely some of them would be after just the keys and/or high grade books only? The collection is such an amazing and cool achievement, and at the same time kind of a weirdly narrow niche market.

31 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I tried to answer my own question via google, but I failed. Who is/was Christine Farrell? All I've been able to learn is that she has or had a complete or nearly complete D.C. collection, but I can find no articles, pictures, or other references to her or the collection outside of the forum here.

She does not publicize herself but was a fixture at many Cons back in the 90s looking for books to fill the gaps in her collection.

Something doesn't add up in the timeline here. I recall Levine complaining loudly about DC's move to new numbering for legacy titles, which Google tells me happened in 2011, saying that he felt like giving up collecting them. If right, he was still in the game nine years ago.