• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Every DC COMICS Issue from 1935 – 2016 to be Auctioned as Complete Set by SOTHEBY'S
2 2

130 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Prediction: this doesn't sell through Sotheby's, and is later either auctioned off piecemeal, or sold direct to a dealer. 

Apparently another auction house was contacted 5 years ago about offering but they declined due to the “inflated valuation client insisted upon...”

4 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Prediction: this doesn't sell through Sotheby's, and is later either auctioned off piecemeal, or sold direct to a dealer. 

I think this is pretty much a given if he's going to stick to his full asking price, especially given the fact that all of the books are raw and the extent of the restoration is not known.  (thumbsu

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I think this is pretty much a given if he's going to stick to his full asking price, especially given the fact that all of the books are raw and the extent of the restoration is not known.  (thumbsu

Yeah.    He wants to be paid for his effort, but the fact is that those few that would care about a collection like this no doubt enjoy the journey and buying it in one shot means... no journey.

It would take a very unique individual to want to buy, in one shot, low grade copies of every DC.

Edited by Bronty

31 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

...or unless he gets his price he just keeps it and rides out this wave then sells it at a more "beneficial" time...

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I have NO idea who Ian Levine is and don't care.  Why would anyone ever pay a premium just because so and so owned a comic?

People do it all the time because some guy named Church once owned a comic (and Larson, and Reilly, etc.).

My comment was more along the lines of he is thinking not just of the value of the books, but also add in what the time value is in trying to replicate such a feat in addition to whatever (minor) celebrity status he may have enjoyed.

BUT, all of this may be moot as Ian just commented on this twitter feed that he actually sold his comic collection over a decade ago. So what we are seeing may have been Ian's former collection, but it isn't being offered by him.

17 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

People do it all the time because some guy named Church once owned a comic (and Larson, and Reilly, etc.).

My comment was more along the lines of he is thinking not just of the value of the books, but also add in what the time value is in trying to replicate such a feat in addition to whatever (minor) celebrity status he may have enjoyed.

BUT, all of this may be moot as Ian just commented on this twitter feed that he actually sold his comic collection over a decade ago. So what we are seeing may have been Ian's former collection, but it isn't being offered by him.

WOW...but if he sold it over 10 years ago..somebody must of keep buying all DC's..and they would  NOT  be all be his comics??? and if you look on the old thread he did say he might sell for 10 million and the price is 10 M? the Tashen book might have clue to ownership? Something is not adding up here.

Edited by Mmehdy

17 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

That sounds odd that he sold it quietly 10 years ago

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

That sounds odd that he sold it quietly 10 years ago

He says on twitter "12 years ago and get your facts straight" to the poster

Does anybody know what is going on here, the collection states that its is complete thru 2016....and could the new owner possibly upgraded certain issues such as the D27?

Edited by Mmehdy

50 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

There's a huge difference, to me anyway, between an original owner who put together and kept together a stunning collection as a kid decades ago and someone who just shovels $ to assemble a collection.

YES I want to know that my book came from Church, Reilly, Larson etc.  Those are all magnificent examples, sometimes the best known copies, assembled at the time the books were new but I couldn't care less if they came from Ian Levine's, Adam Levine's; Nicholas Cage's or any body else's collection.  

Edited by pemart1966

26 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Does anybody know what is going on here, the collection states that its is complete thru 2016....and could the new owner possibly upgraded certain issues such as the D27?

I saw that too. Plot thickens 

This is the worst catalogue I've ever seen.  Nice history lesson I suppose, but there's virtually no description of the items being sold!  There's no mention that I could see whether or not the books pictured are actually part of what's being sold or whether they're just stock photos.

To each his own, but honestly only on these boards would I be seeing post with " well it's not an original owner collection, some books have restoration, its way over priced, Jesus just the fact that anybody has every comic ever published by DC is an an amazing achievement and in some ways even more impressive than an original owner collection regardless of the condition of any specific book, Just my 2 cents

21 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

The boards acknowledged and even celebrated the accomplishment years ago when it happened. But the collection is being sold, so that’s the angle responses are addressing now. It doesn’t tarnish or diminish the feat , it relates to the marketability of the collection today 

it's a dream collection for the the DC completist. Imagine if these were all Timelys? (thumbsu

Edited by Primetime

4 minutes ago, sagii said:
1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

YES I want to know that my book came from Church, Reilly, Larson etc.  Those are all magnificent examples, sometimes the best known copies, assembled at the time the books were new but I couldn't care less if they came from Ian Levine's, Adam Levine's; Nicholas Cage's or any body else's collection.  

..With you, except in the case of Jon Berk. 

Just my opinion. :foryou:

Most definitely!!!  :luhv:  :takeit:

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Yeah.    He wants to be paid for his effort, but the fact is that those few that would care about a collection like this no doubt enjoy the journey and buying it in one shot means... no journey.

It would take a very unique individual to want to buy, in one shot, low grade copies of every DC.

I would if the price were right and I was made of money. 

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I saw that too. Plot thickens 

Sounds like the Wheels are in Motion.