• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Every DC COMICS Issue from 1935 – 2016 to be Auctioned as Complete Set by SOTHEBY'S
2 2

130 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:
5 hours ago, speedcake said:

I tried to answer my own question via google, but I failed. Who is/was Christine Farrell? All I've been able to learn is that she has or had a complete or nearly complete D.C. collection, but I can find no articles, pictures, or other references to her or the collection outside of the forum here.

She does not publicize herself but was a fixture at many Cons back in the 90s looking for books to fill the gaps in her collection.

Wasn't Levine quite upset with her in the end because she had apparently just beat him in terms of compiling a complete DC collection?  :slapfight:

Not sure if she has an Double Action 1, but still a woman after my heart with her complete DC collection.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

7 hours ago, speedcake said:

I tried to answer my own question via google, but I failed. Who is/was Christine Farrell? All I've been able to learn is that she has or had a complete or nearly complete D.C. collection, but I can find no articles, pictures, or other references to her or the collection outside of the forum here.

I seem to recall reading an article with pictures about her somewhere online.  I can't find it now.  I think she was heir to a Pepsi bottling company in Vermont, and either still does or used to own a comic and games shop in Burlington.  You should call the shop and ask to speak to her.  Maybe she will call you a stalker too...:acclaim:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wasn't Levine quite upset with her in the end because she had apparently just beat him in terms of compiling a complete DC collection?  :slapfight:

Not sure if she has an Double Action 1, but still a woman after my heart with her complete DC collection.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

From when he completed his collection 

And before I accept her collection as complete, I need to be sure she has both "Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics", and "How You Can Defend Your Home", both of which qualify as bone fide M.C.Gaines All American comics, and both of which are true DCs.

63077.jpg.6f8d75cce5c9ab877ec1b1ddac13ecf1.jpg

9 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

The fact that he gave up after 2016 brands him a quitter in my book 

Also, he apparently  he had a stroke around that time which limits his mobility with the left side of his body quite a bit.   I can’t imagine dealing with the monthly avalanche of books was really practical physically .  

48 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Also, he apparently  he had a stroke around that time which limits his mobility with the left side of his body quite a bit.   I can’t imagine dealing with the monthly avalanche of books was really practical physically .  

Obviously I didn’t know that.  I am in awe of his collection.  

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

But Ian’s collection doesn’t have a real Double Action #1 either, unless the current owner bought it when it came up for sale a couple of years ago at Metro.

4 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

And before I accept her collection as complete, I need to be sure she has both "Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics", and "How You Can Defend Your Home", both of which qualify as bone fide M.C.Gaines All American comics, and both of which are true DCs.

I definitely 'hear' this Ian quote in the voice of The Simpsons' Comic Book Guy. lol

One SDCC long ago I was at Gary Carter’s house when a package arrived. It contained a copy of It’s Gametime 3 and Gary was so excited. He explained that the family was now down to single digits (i.e., 9 comics) for a complete DC collection.

At the time, the Carters did not have a copy of Action 1 and I don’t know if they every completed their quest. If not, they came very close to doing so.

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

One SDCC long ago I was at Gary Carter’s house when a package arrived. It contained a copy of It’s Gametime 3 and Gary was so excited. He explained that the family was now down to single digits (i.e., 9 comics) for a complete DC collection.

At the time, the Carters did not have a copy of Action 1 and I don’t know if they every completed their quest. If not, they came very close to doing so.

I need to be sure the Carter's had both "Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics", and "How You Can Defend Your Home", both of which qualify as bone fide M.C.Gaines All American comics, and both of which are true DCs. :taptaptap:

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

he was collecting DC in the 70's and I had heard he sold the collection he competed. I sent him some photos of Action 1 I was selling, I think it was VF for 4K or 5K and he turned it down. he said he wanted one in better condition?

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/30/2020 at 3:17 PM, G.A.tor said:

Buzzy 70? New adventures 26 was last iirc 

It was Buzzy 70.  I pulled an April Fools joke listing this on ebay at the height of his passion for getting these last two books. It was pretty funny to me anyway.

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

he was collecting DC in the 70's and I had heard he sold the collection he competed. I sent him some photos of Action 1 I was selling, I think it was VF for 4K or 5K and he turned it down. he said he wanted one in better condition?

Hey Mitch;

Do you know anything at all about this so-called rumoured "Indian Reservation" collection that Gary Carter was able to find back in the days, or is this justy one of those urban myths that goes around the comic book collecting world?  ???

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

Do you know anything at all about this so-called rumoured "Indian Reservation" collection that Gary Carter was able to find back in the days, or is this justy one of those urban myths that goes around the comic book collecting world?  ???

Funny I heard the same rumor back in the 1980s.  It was also referred to as the Indian Reservation Collection.  I heard it from a dealer in Albuquerque.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

Funny I heard the same rumor back in the 1980s.  It was also referred to as the Indian Reservation Collection.  I heard it from a dealer in Albuquerque.

Well, it's also mentioned by Ernie Gerber in the Pedigree Comics section on Page A-12 of the 1st Edition of his GA Photojournal Guide.  hm

He includes it in with his discussion on some of the pedigrees such as the Edgar Church books, San Francisco, Lamont Larson, Pennsylvania, Allentown, Denver, Cosmic Aeroplane.  Gerber simply indicates that it was a collection found by Gary Carter a few years earlier.  (shrug)

Hi Jeff here and it must have  been in the late 1990s that Gary Carter at a San Diego comic convention booth  told me the story of the Indian "Wells" comic collection fascinating story, as they all are.  I would think he can tell the story best , but i can say without a doubt its not a urban myth. 

41 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Hi Jeff here and it must have  been in the late 1990s that Gary Carter at a San Diego comic convention booth  told me the story of the Indian "Wells" comic collection fascinating story, as they all are.  I would think he can tell the story best , but i can say without a doubt its not a urban myth. 

It's too bad he never ever did a writeup on the collection then in his Comic Book Marketplace magazine which he was in charge of at the time, as that would have been a perfect article for that type of GA fan magazine.  :luhv:

Any idea if Gary would still have the collection sionce he seems to have dropped right out of the comic book scene after leaving CBM and returning to his collefge teaching career?  hm