• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ian Levine Collection - Massive GA Lot on Sotheby's!!!
1 1

87 posts in this topic

Anyone have an idea what this ridiculous collection will sell for? Over 40 thousand comics, selling as one entire raw collection through Sotheby's, spanning from 1936 and on.

https://www.newsarama.com/49632-complete-run-of-dc-comics-from-1935-2016-to-be-auctioned-off-by-sotheby-s.html?fbclid=IwAR0vpQYRCngUDOEBMfoLGqPhmAH9rUqaEqKzVeaNbmR__Il5mZoJrsbRwbM

Here's some of the main highlights:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzkvMTE4L29yaWdpbmFsL1N1cGVybWFuXzEuanBnPzE1ODU1NzgwNTc=.jpg

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzkvMTExL29yaWdpbmFsL0JhdG1hbl8xLmpwZz8xNTg1NTc4MDM4.jpg

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzkvMTEzL29yaWdpbmFsL0ZsYXNoXzEuanBnPzE1ODU1NzgwNDQ=.jpg

MTU4NTU3ODA1OQ==.jpg

MTU4NTU3ODAzNg==.jpg

Edited by LDarkseid1

I don't get it. Surely Levine had two better options?

1. Slab the biggies and sell individually OR

2. Sell off it all raw individually and employ a consignor if he couldn't be bothered personally.

I mean, I'm sure it will still bring in a shed load of money but not as much as option 1 & 2. (shrug)

The last time we brought up the Wheels are in Motion thread, I believe someone said he had become ill at one point. Maybe at his age he just wants to be done with it?

24 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The last time we brought up the Wheels are in Motion thread, I believe someone said he had become ill at one point. Maybe at his age he just wants to be done with it?

If that is the case I am sorry and hope he gets better soon.

I can understand it now.

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

If that is the case I am sorry and hope he gets better soon.

I can understand it now.

I was just returning... he had a stroke about five years ago.  I don't know how that plays into the collection though except maybe it is a simple case of 'been there done that and there are other things that command my focus."

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I was just returning... he had a stroke about five years ago.  I don't know how that plays into the collection though except maybe it is a simple case of 'been there done that and there are other things that command my focus."

I can dig that, especially in this world right now.

13 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My thought - this is obviously a life's work. It took decades of diligent collecting. If he was after top dollar, he could have broken it up. My guess is, he wants it to go to a collector who will appreciate it rather than a flipper who will break it up. 

I could be wrong.  Just speculating. Pretty wild collection. 

4 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

hate to derail this thread...the collector on Facebook claims to have sold that collection 12 years ago.....it is the buyer of that collection whom Is selling. 

So Ian sold it already?   It is the buyer that is selling it? 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

So Ian sold it already?   It is the buyer that is selling it? 

If you read the other thread or simply go on his facebook page..he indicates he sold his collection 12 years ago....this is the buyer of that collection and there could be upgrades or downgrades since that time.

1 minute ago, Chicago Boy said:

How does a pvt sale work ?  What wud be a reasonable asking price ? 5 million 10 million ??

Private in this instance means it is all owned by a single individual I think, rather than say a collection of music memorabilia which may have been amassed from various sources for example.

My guess is that it will under sell, maybe achieving between 4-7 million dollars. I could be wildly off the mark of course.

It would not surprise me if Heritage, CC, Metro and maybe even CGC were the main players in this auction.