• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ian Levine Collection - Massive GA Lot on Sotheby's!!!
1 1

87 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

It's not an auction, it's just an offering for set sale and the asking price is $10 million.

Considering that everyone of the books pictured above are (heavily) restored, it seems wildly optimistic.

Take the keys, assume an average of $40k/key, that gets you to around 1.6 million assuming 40 keys (which is high).  Best case, the remainder is worth 2x total so another 3.2 million so I would say high side 4.8 million retail on the high side.  This is real rough I know.   I would swag at least 1/2 the books are worth $1 to $2 per book.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:03 PM, woowoo said:

Ian had work done on his house and could not pay cause he had become ill. the contractor got his books and ask Ivan Briggs price them out. so yes Ian don't haver the books anymore.

Not sure if this makes any sense at all or not?  hm

Exactly what kind of contracting work did Ian get done on his house that it would cost him the equivalent of millions of dollars?  :screwy:

On 3/31/2020 at 9:44 PM, woowoo said:

I have talked to Ian years ago he wanted a lot of my books to upgrade his. Restoration did not seem to be a problem with him since he bought my Tec 3 and 4. I know his Tec 1 was missing the centerfold and he really wanted mine. Here is some pictures he sent me. Most of his early stuff was restored. He was upgrading all the time and the last time he said he just upgraded his Action 1.

Ian_Levine_-pic-1.jpg

Ian_Levine_-pic-2.jpg

Ian_Levine_-pic-3.jpg

Ian_Levine_-pic-4.jpg

Ian_Levine_-Pic-5.jpg

Ah, there’s the infamous Double Action, that spawned his infamous Wheels In Motion war with Vincent Z. Ironically, in the years since then, I think that book has faded a bit in the collector psyche. Regardless, this is a priceless picture. Just to see those Tecs and Actions all lined up in a formation like that is a sight I never thought I’d see

@woowoo, the fact you could still find these pics so many years later is also a pretty amazing feat

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ah, there’s the infamous Double Action, that spawned his infamous Wheels In Motion war with Vincent Z. Ironically, in the years since then, I think that book has faded a bit in the collector psyche. Regardless, this is a priceless picture. Just to see those Tecs and Actions all lined up in a formation like that is a sight I never thought I’d see

Woo Woo, the fact you could still find these pics so many years later is also a pretty amazing feat

Can you elaborate on the wheels in motion war ? 

32 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Can you elaborate on the wheels in motion war ? 

Read this thread. My take is that when Levine first came on the boards and announced his project, no one quite knew what to make of him. This thread bears witness to the turning of the tide against him. Although he doesn’t appear to have played well with others, his was still a massive accomplishment 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Read this thread. My take is that when Levine first came on the boards and announced his project, no one quite knew what to make of him. This thread bears witness to the turning of the tide against him

HA! Our minds think alike! Sorry, I posted shortly after yours

11 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
13 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

HA! Our minds think alike! Sorry, I posted shortly after yours

I think I hit the button a nanosecond before you did

The story of my life - ALWAYS getting sniped at the zero second!

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if this makes any sense at all or not?  hm

Exactly what kind of contracting work did Ian get done on his house that it would cost him the equivalent of millions of dollars?  :screwy:

I don't know the whole story (shrug) I know that the person who did the work on his house took the books that he was told was worth 10mil. I know That Ivan Briggs said that the contractor was told they where worth 10mil and he looked them over for the guy and put a value of 3mil. Ivan Briggs said a lot of the books where in bad shape also. I want to be clear I was told this story a year ago and than read Ivan Briggs story few months ago and the story was the same ?

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@woowoo, the fact you could still find these pics so many years later is also a pretty amazing feat

When the stuff is way cool to me I keep Like this :hi:

FE2F7955-A59E-491E-890F-5A60D3400E19_thumb_jpeg_b5fa0819536c63a8a7193861b55b1621.jpg

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Read this thread. My take is that when Levine first came on the boards and announced his project, no one quite knew what to make of him. This thread bears witness to the turning of the tide against him. Although he doesn’t appear to have played well with others, his was still a massive accomplishment 

Typical Vince. I’m sure Fishler tried to clean up his mess per usual. Every time I see his pleasantries via emails etc I think “ what a phony “ 

11 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Typical Vince. I’m sure Fishler tried to clean up his mess per usual. Every time I see his pleasantries via emails etc I think “ what a phony “ 

I'm sorry you've had that experience with Vincent.  You're probably not the only one.  But mine have been better.  When I decide to fold my hand, I'll send my books to him.

51 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I just got a message from Ian Levine and a picture. All the story's :gossip:I read where all wrong this is from his own words. What a great collection to complete :whee:

Facebook, Twitter, and the entire internet is buzzing about me selling my DC Comics Collection. But they all got it wrong. In 2008 I sold them to a dear friend, for a tiny fraction of their value, with the intention of being allowed to keep them in my house until I died. But then when DC ended all their runs and reverted to restarting at number one for them all, I was so sickened that I gave him permission to sell them. They were all taken away around 2015 and every comic was... examined and graded by Paul Sassiene, comic expert, for Sotherbys. I rather resent everybody assuming that I'm the one who's selling them, having in fact given up the ownership twelve long years ago. Sotherby's have had them for five years now, mainly because they took four long years to painstakingly do their due diligence. Now that they are finally satisfied that the collection is truly the most comprehensive DC Collection in the world, it is finally on sale. Fifty years hard, devoted, dedicated work, and I will always have the satisfaction of knowing that this huge collection of comics will always be known as The Ian Levine Collection.

Ivan Levine new pic.jpg

What a picture!  And he's right:  this will forever be known as the Levine collection.  Immortality, for sure.  Funny how the publisher's new scheme of every comic being a Number 1 caused him to break off his pursuit.  I can understand his feelings about that

50 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What a picture!  And he's right:  this will forever be known as the Levine collection.  Immortality, for sure.  Funny how the publisher's new scheme of every comic being a Number 1 caused him to break off his pursuit.  I can understand his feelings about that

Ya that restart was a bad idea for the true comic guy like me.