• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ian Levine Collection - Massive GA Lot on Sotheby's!!!
1 1

87 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

Basically, he wished it into existence.

from what little I can recall he was very motivated to find it, and more than a few people were very motivated to jerk him around.    He was sent a 1950s looking cover purported to be 1930s and he printed it out in color and wrapped it around some innards (don’t recall the innards).

Matt Nelson did them from what Matt said would have been what it looked like ? That is the story I got true or not don't know.

Edited by woowoo

26 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Matt Nelson did them from what Matt said would have been what it looked like ? That is the story I got true or not don't know.

What’s in the interiors?

12 hours ago, Bronty said:

he does 'northern soul' shows

Yes, that (and Dr. Who and British boy bands) were his big things before he really got into comics.  If I recall, he sold off his northern soul record collection to help finance the acquisition of his comic collection.

9 hours ago, Bronty said:
9 hours ago, marmat said:

Does Double Action 1 actually exist? I mean, one or more genuine copies?

exactly.

Well, I guess he must have just missed out on this copy here since he apparently stopped collecting DC's sometime in 2016 and this Ashcan copy here along with the highest graded copy of Double Action 2 was auctioned off along by Metro / CC in December of 2016 for $80,000 after a total of 52 bids had gone in for the set:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/678005

dou1.7la.jpg

Looks like the Double Action 1 cover image was lifted from the shark cover on Adventure Comics 41, while this absolutely gorgeous Double Action 2 cover image was lifted from the classic hippo cover on Adventure Comics 37.  :luhv:   :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

Basically, he wished it into existence.

from what little I can recall he was very motivated to find it, and more than a few people were very motivated to jerk him around.    He was sent a 1950s looking cover purported to be 1930s and he printed it out in color and wrapped it around some innards (don’t recall the innards).

The innards are xerox copies of the Dr Occult Stories from More Fun.

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yes, that (and Dr. Who and British boy bands) were his big things before he really got into comics.  If I recall, he sold off his northern soul record collection to help finance the acquisition of his comic collection.

Yes, but those will be forever known as the Ian Levine Northern Soul Record Collection...some guy's records.

I believe our own Mr. Zaid is the proud owner of that real Double Action #1.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess he must have just missed out on this copy here since he apparently stopped collecting DC's sometime in 2016 and this Ashcan copy here along with the highest graded copy of Double Action 2 was auctioned off along by Metro / CC in December of 2016 for $80,000 after a total of 52 bids had gone in for the set:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/678005

dou1.7la.jpg

Looks like the Double Action 1 cover image was lifted from the shark cover on Adventure Comics 41, while this absolutely gorgeous Double Action 2 cover image was lifted from the classic hippo cover on Adventure Comics 37.  :luhv:   :takeit:

I don’t think he collected ashcans and I don’t think he ever paid 80k for a book.   Can’t imagine he would have bought regardless .   He probably would have told us all that the xerox fantasy copies were much more important

Edited by Bronty

On 4/3/2020 at 12:41 PM, Bronty said:

Immortality until five years from now when the collection is broken up.  

On 4/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

well, there's that . . . 

With respect I beg to differ guys...

You can bet raw copies with all have a COA and graded copies with be noted, 'from the collection of Ian Levine'. It's an important hoard of books with a significant back story, definitely worthy of a notation.

The same thing happened with Dallas Stephens, so Levine will have his 'immortality'

12 minutes ago, G G ® said:

The same thing happened with Dallas Stephens, so Levine will have his 'immortality'

To tell you the honest truth, I really couldn't care less if it came from the Dallas Stephens Collection or whatever.  :p

Now, if it was coming from the Jon Berk Collection or the Bob Overstreet Collection which they sadly do not recognize, that would be a completely different story.  :luhv:  :takeit:

51 minutes ago, G G ® said:

With respect I beg to differ guys...

You can bet raw copies with all have a COA and graded copies with be noted, 'from the collection of Ian Levine'. It's an important hoard of books with a significant back story, definitely worthy of a notation.

Oh ok so THAT copy of Batman 467 came from Ian.   Wait let me get my checkbook.  

The only person it matters to is Ian.

Edited by Bronty

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

To tell you the honest truth, I really couldn't care less if it came from the Dallas Stephens Collection or whatever.  :p

Now, if it was coming from the Jon Berk Collection or the Bob Overstreet Collection which they sadly do not recognize, that would be a completely different story.  :luhv:  :takeit:

The berk graded books were noted as such

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The berk graded books were noted as such

Absolutely. My sole book from Jon Berk's collection. :x

1406171605231.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

Oh ok so THAT copy of Batman 467 came from Ian.   Wait let me get my checkbook.  

The only person it matters to is Ian.

Yeah I agree it means next to nothing to us. My point is it means something to him. I'm not trying to 'big it up'. I'm merely stating what will happen.

Calm down guys.

41 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Yeah I agree it means next to nothing to us. My point is it means something to him. I'm not trying to 'big it up'. I'm merely stating what will happen.

Calm down guys.

No one needs calming down, at least I certainly don’t.    Just pointing out that there’s a big difference between ‘remembered for a few years’ and ‘immortal’.   Almost none of us, including Ian,  will have the latter.   Most of us will have the former.    Ok so he had some really nice comics for a while.   Great.   But so have lots of people, and there are many nicer collections.