• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ian Levine Collection - Massive GA Lot on Sotheby's!!!
1 1

87 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

No one needs calming down, at least I certainly don’t.    Just pointing out that there’s a big difference between ‘remembered for a few years’ and ‘immortal’.   Almost none of us, including Ian,  will have the latter.   Most of us will have the former.    Ok so he had some really nice comics for a while.   Great.   But so have lots of people, and there are many nicer collections.   

Again, not disagreeing. He'll get the notation regardless of the hierarchy of his collection. That obviously means a lot to him. Who can say how long it will be remembered?

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

No one needs calming down, at least I certainly don’t.    Just pointing out that there’s a big difference between ‘remembered for a few years’ and ‘immortal’.   Almost none of us, including Ian,  will have the latter.   Most of us will have the former.    Ok so he had some really nice comics for a while.   Great.   But so have lots of people, and there are many nicer collections.   

when I called his feat immortal, I was trying to throw him a bone.  Being nice costs nothing.  Not everything needs a good drilling down.

So bring on the bricks . . .

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

when I called his feat immortal, I was trying to throw him a bone.  Being nice costs nothing.  Not everything needs a good drilling down.

So bring on the bricks . . .

I would 100% agree with you his accomplishment is pretty amazing.  He is similar to me, a budget collector.  I wanted to put together a complete Batman and Detective run.  Once I finished my Batman run, I realized the Detective run would never happen.  I can't imagine doing what he did.  I am also certain at a point he felt like people should help him finish up his collection and let him pick up stuff at a reasonable price.  Maybe an unrealistic view on his part but when he was so close, rational thinking may have eluded him.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:33 AM, G.A.tor said:
On 4/4/2020 at 8:19 PM, lou_fine said:

To tell you the honest truth, I really couldn't care less if it came from the Dallas Stephens Collection or whatever.  :p

Now, if it was coming from the Jon Berk Collection or the Bob Overstreet Collection which they sadly do not recognize, that would be a completely different story.  :luhv:  :takeit:

The berk graded books were noted as such

Definitely aware of that as I was lucky enough to win a few of the Berk books in that big CC auction a few summers ago.  :luhv:

My comment was referring to the big Overstreet Collection that has not been recognized as an official collection and sadly, will never be.  :(