• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else mad at Clink?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

I sent a request for a back cover scan on March 14th, and when I got no response, I sent another request March 20th.  This is for a book that will hammer for north of 5 figures.

So I just now called, and got told that, sorry, due to the quarantine, no back cover scans.  When I pointed out the quarantine didn't start until 2 weeks after my first request, I got told, well we were told to just stop giving out back cover scans.

Wait, what?  

If you're going to do this, at least give me the courtesy of a response to me email requests.

Someone else can have this book now.  I'm done with Clink.

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I sent a request for a back cover scan on March 14th, and when I got no response, I sent another request March 20th.  This is for a book that will hammer for north of 5 figures.

So I just now called, and got told that, sorry, due to the quarantine, no back cover scans.  When I pointed out the quarantine didn't start until 2 weeks after my first request, I got told, well we were told to just stop giving out back cover scans.

Wait, what?  

If you're going to do this, at least give me the courtesy of a response to me email requests.

Someone else can have this book now.  I'm done with Clink.

Definitely concerning that they don't provide back cover scans.  For a book like the one you are looking, I would be worried about issues on the back cover.  I guess maybe they figure you can buy the grader notes on the book.

Really no excuse for not having front and back cover scans on ALL books. I do it on most everything I sell. Anybody who doesn’t is just burning their consigners and leaving money on the table. 

I don’t need to go to the big auction houses and mostly don’t. I have dealt with CC a number of times and had nothing but a positive transaction. 

25 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Really no excuse for not having front and back cover scans on ALL books. I do it on most everything I sell. Anybody who doesn’t is just burning their consigners and leaving money on the table. 

I don’t need to go to the big auction houses and mostly don’t. I have dealt with CC a number of times and had nothing but a positive transaction. 

You would think so, but if you follow sales (mind you pre-Corona) they’ve been pretty solid on c-link. Definitely no reason to think the lack of back covers ever made a difference.

I can understand the Clink employees working from home.  Heck, most of us are.  So I get it they don't want to go physically find the book.

But  there's no reason they can't email the consignor and ask for one.  How many of us have books worth 5 figures that don't have scans out the wazoo?  I've got scans, front and back, on my home computer and all my mobile devices.   I look at em at the oddest times.  It's the collector nerd in me.  

rantrant

7 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
9 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

You would think so, but if you follow sales (mind you pre-Corona) they’ve been pretty solid on c-link. Definitely no reason to think the lack of back covers ever made a difference.

it will tonight

Unless it's got NO actual back cover at all, so nothing at all for them to scan.  lol

their consistent refusal to post back cover scans is pathetic and really silly from a business perspective too. it infuriates me. and yet i buy from them repeatedly.

i find their competitor, comicconnect, to have an awful website, and have never bid in their auctions, in spite of their always posting back cover scans and having good customer service.  i like CL's site alot and they always have stuff i'm interested in. also, i have always received back scans from CL when requested, but i guess now thats not happening. i think if its a special book, i would buy the notes. if its one that comes around more often, then i'd pass, if i couldnt get a back cover scan. 

with the economy tanking now, perhaps they are also feeling the pain, and may have let some people go? this could explain inability to send more scans?

It's very time consuming to scan back covers, the time it takes scanning the back cover could be time spent scanning another book. 

I can understand wanting to see if there is a wrap on the back cover, if so, how bad is it?  But if you are bidding on a 9.6 silver age book, and you're wanting to see the back cover because you're afraid of the coupon on the back cover missing, then the 9.6 grade will tell you there's nothing majorly wrong with the back cover. I even get people asking for back cover scans for 9.8 modern age books, like I'm trying to hide something.. 

So an auction house will put up a book without the bidders being able to see everything that they are going to purchase.  That's crappy service and should limit anyone from wanting to bid on a book that you say is going to go for north of $10,000.  Some businesses start to think they are too important after a couple years of success.  Let's see how the pandemic helps you out down the road to recovery for your economics.

I stopped giving them business almost 10 years ago for this type of "pass the buck" arrogance for so many of their errors.  

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Definitely concerning that they don't provide back cover scans.  For a book like the one you are looking, I would be worried about issues on the back cover.  I guess maybe they figure you can buy the grader notes on the book.

Ok, so I did buy the grader notes.  They say:  light, multiple crease full bottom of back cover
light, multiple crease left top of back cover
moderate miscut full right of whole book
multiple bindary chip out spine
printer's vein center of front cover
small, multiple tear full top of back cover

These are the kinds of defects that could range from high to low in terms of eye appeal, so no help there

3 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

It doesn't matter if it's time consuming to scan a back cover, if a bidder is willing to spend 5 figures on a book.  They should already have a back scan up for that type of book.

Nuff said.

Remember when CGC denoted major defects on the label?

Josh is the same dealer that sold me a very expensive book sight unseen with a rusty staples note, this was my fault for not asking about any notes at the time,I suppose but shady on the other hand to not disclose.

When pressed on receipt and wanting to return it said" It won't progress any further in the case"

That was my last deal with them many years ago