• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else mad at Clink?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hard to know. Only thing I can say for sure is one of us would have wound up paying more

:gossip:

Here’s a somewhat recent sale. Was pre Corona though so hard to know if the c-link one was affected at all from the virus since the comic industry as a whole has been somewhat affected.

F448D466-93EA-481D-835B-8B76AB4C27BD.jpeg

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Right?

Also here’s a nice 7.5 about to sell in the April Heritage auction if you wanna give that one a go 😉.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-46-timely-1945-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7229-196004.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

5 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I am mad at them about something else lol.. the 9.6 was mine from last week...

but seriously yea the lack of back scan is crummy especially when buying in the middle grades because it can make a big difference: 

A126A55F-2D2A-4CD6-A06D-17E2803612E4.png

Took a closer look at both of the front cover scans and I assume the bidders probably simply placed their bids according to how the 2 books presented.  hm

So, probably a case of buying the book, as opposed to buying the label, especially when there are so many copies in similar grades.  (thumbsu

Never good for the consignors when you have 4 copies of the exact same book in the same auction in almost equivalent grades, this time from CGC 9.0 to CGC 9.6.  :mad:  :censored:

For the most part I am out of the buying game. I pick up the odd book here and on ebay.

Back when I was a contender and buying heavily some years ago, I removed CL from my radar. I found their customer service to be below par, big time.

It sucked harder than my vacuum cleaner, and I took my business elsewhere.

Doubtless others have glowing praise for them, but you can only speak as you find. I never purchased from them since then, and would not again.

The same complaint could be made against the majority of ourselves, that is sellers on these boards.  Except with us there's not even the thin rationale of labor cost vs benefit.  Most of us are either too lazy, or have been conditioned to feel back covers don't really count.  On a 9.6 maybe - but a midgrade?

Yes, no back covers on 5 figure books here too.  Or how about a 6 figure book?  Case in point - a noob just listed a 129K book.  Granted it's a 9.2 and there should be no surprises of any kind on the back, but still. Also, phone pic.  Also, no notes - spend your own dang $15!

I gotta say I've always liked dealing with Josh and he's always given me really good service with regards to any requests or needs, but I have to say the back-cover scan thing does need to be fixed on big-ticket books.

22 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I gotta say I've always liked dealing with Josh and he's always given me really good service with regards to any requests or needs, but I have to say the back-cover scan thing does need to be fixed on big-ticket books.

I would say if possible all books over $500 not necessarily 250K

We've had this conversation many times both here and in Comics General and my position has never changed:

ComicLink is happy with the outcome of their business and sees NO reason to change their business model in any way. 
They arent gonna start scanning back covers (unless upon request)
They arent gonna update their site
They arent gonna add a feature for tracking auctions (just gotta do the "Bid to track" thing)

They arent gonna start reporting to GPA cause they wont agree to the "all data reported" requirement.

They dont see any of these things as increasing their revenue, so they dont see any point in investing in them. 

3 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

We've had this conversation many times both here and in Comics General and my position has never changed:

ComicLink is happy with the outcome of their business and sees NO reason to change their business model in any way. 
They arent gonna start scanning back covers (unless upon request)
They arent gonna add a feature for tracking auctions (just gotta do the "Bid to track" thing)

They arent gonna start reporting to GPA cause they wont agree to the "all data reported" requirement.

They dont see any of these things as increasing their revenue, so they dont see any point in investing in them. 

I get it, but that attitude cost the consignor of last night’s Cap 46 several thousand dollars. He might not be nearly so understanding 

Ive also seen an uptick in mistaken listings. A few different "flipped" descriptions. Saw a coupe of Romita modern variants get flipped in their descriptions. See some inconsistancies in how Canadian printings are described (the ones that get explilcitly listed as canadian versions sell for less). 

I also still get annoyed at the description of the Okajima pedigree....
"The Okajima Pedigree collection was amassed by a young Japanese-American girl while she was held in an internment camp during WWII, giving these books a special historical significance, and the pedigree has a very devoted collector following."

The pedigree runs from 43-55, and only 43-44 were collected while she was in the camp... 

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I get it, but that attitude cost the consignor of last night’s Cap 46 several thousand dollars. He might not be nearly so understanding 

oh agreed, I wonder if CLINK notified all of the consignors that they were changing their terms of agreement with the listings by not offering back cover scans. (again, since their policy is to make no unnecessary efforts, I assume not)

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

oh agreed, I wonder if CLINK notified all of the consignors that they were changing their terms of agreement with the listings by not offering back cover scans. (again, since their policy is to make no unnecessary efforts, I assume not)

Repaired that for you.

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Especially when they saw what happened with the whole CC fiasco when they updated their website a few months ago, and they still haven't held an auction to this point in time yet.  doh!

Learned my lesson 8 yrs ago about not asking for a back cover scan.  I bought a 1.0 MF 52 old label in CL. Front cover looked fine with no eyesore defects, but when I received the book and looked at the back, it had about a 4x4 piece missing at the bottom edge.  Never again will I buy a book without seeing a back cover first, especially something that is worth $$$.  I got too excited at that time and because the price was very fair, I jumped on it quick.  

On 3/30/2020 at 5:19 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

it will tonight

Man, i was watching this auction and the key GA books I was looking at, like Mary Marvel 5, went for the highest prices I have ever seen. So far I have seen no impact of the current economy for the books I want.

Anyways, back to your original post, how would the quarantine even affect there being a back cover scan? Like do they contractually have to do all back cover scans at a printer found in a school library that's now closed? That's a terrible response on their part.