• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else mad at Clink?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2020 at 2:39 PM, Kevin76 said:

It's very time consuming to scan back covers, the time it takes scanning the back cover could be time spent scanning another book. 

I can understand wanting to see if there is a wrap on the back cover, if so, how bad is it?  But if you are bidding on a 9.6 silver age book, and you're wanting to see the back cover because you're afraid of the coupon on the back cover missing, then the 9.6 grade will tell you there's nothing majorly wrong with the back cover. I even get people asking for back cover scans for 9.8 modern age books, like I'm trying to hide something.. 

It's not always about whether something's allowed in a particular grade or not (like a missing coupon on a 9.6).

In most cases, an arrival date stamp doesn't affect the grade.  But personally, I don't like them.  And after receiving a book from HA (one of the few I've ever won from them) that had a date stamp on the back, I always make it a point to ask before bidding.  

Right now there's a couple books I'm seriously interested in on Clink.  Nothing big, not in the 4-5 figures like you guys are talking about.  You all would probably consider these books peanuts, but on my budget it's a bit of money for me.

So as always, as soon as the auction started, I asked if either book had an arrival date stamp or writing on the back cover.  I didn't ask for back cover scans, just a simple "yes" or "no" question.

Still no reply and the books are ending in less than 2 days.

Ok, I'll buy the argument that it's too time consuming to scan all the books in their auction.  I'll even buy their argument that they don't have time to scan the back covers of the books people ask about.  

But they don't have the couple of minutes it takes to check the books and send back a 2-3 second mono-syllable reply?

So with their 'too bad, so sorry' no-returns policy, I'm just supposed to roll the dice and end up with something I don't want?

Sure, if it's got a date stamp I could sell it on eBay (I'm starting to learn that a pretty good chunk of the slabs on eBay are just being flipped straight over from wins at these on-line auctions houses).  But man that just unnecessarily ties up limited discretionary money for an unknown - and most likely prolonged - amount of time.    

Well, if it's now their policy to not only not send back cover scans but not even reply to simple questions then my bidding behavior is certainly going to change.

I usually try and win at least 2 books so I can spread out the shipping cost.  So I'll throw out some half-hearted bids on stuff that I like but isn't top priority.

Well, that's going to stop.

They're going to be getting more requests from me to hold one book over until the next auction.  And if they stop allowing that, then I'm going to just start factoring in the cost of shipping one book into my bid, which is going to make my bidding amount drop even more, because I'm certainly not going to be setting GPA highs if there's a chance I'm going to have to turn right around and sell my "win" if I end up with something I don't like.

It's a shame because I do enjoy participating in Clink's auctions but I may have to start broadening my horizons.

Edited by Number 6

6 hours ago, miraclemet said:

We've had this conversation many times both here and in Comics General and my position has never changed:

ComicLink is happy with the outcome of their business and sees NO reason to change their business model in any way. 
They arent gonna start scanning back covers (unless upon request)
They arent gonna update their site
They arent gonna add a feature for tracking auctions (just gotta do the "Bid to track" thing)

They arent gonna start reporting to GPA cause they wont agree to the "all data reported" requirement.

They dont see any of these things as increasing their revenue, so they dont see any point in investing in them. 

Glad to know I am not the only one who has those issues with them. But seriously, I cant believe a site with this much traffic and such high volume sales allows itself to look like it hasn't updated since 98.

15 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Man, i was watching this auction and the key GA books I was looking at, like Mary Marvel 5, went for the highest prices I have ever seen. So far I have seen no impact of the current economy for the books I want.

Anyways, back to your original post, how would the quarantine even affect there being a back cover scan? Like do they contractually have to do all back cover scans at a printer found in a school library that's now closed? That's a terrible response on their part.

I don't recall if it's specifically mentioned in the consignment contract, I'd have to go back and look at the one from last time I consigned.  But you'll forgive me if I don't jump at the opportunity to comb through a bunch of legalese.   :wink:

I think the general idea is that as a consigner they're going to work to make sure you get the best price possible.

However, if it's now SOP to not send requested scans or even make the minimal effort to answer question, I may have to look somewhere else to consign my books as well.  

Edited by Number 6

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Especially when they saw what happened with the whole CC fiasco when they updated their website a few months ago, and they still haven't held an auction to this point in time yet.  doh!

CC’s next event auction is at the end of April. The big books are promoted on their website.

Yea CC needs to fix a few of the bugs with their new website.  I noticed in their main page at the comics for sale section that the Bat 1 and Hulk 1 both have met the buy it now price with the best offer option, but for some reason they are not "sold."  

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

But seriously, I cant believe a site with this much traffic and such high volume sales allows itself to look like it hasn't updated since 98.

Are you sure it was 1998, since I believe they haven't updated their website from the time they went into buisness and this was back in 1996.  :gossip:  :facepalm:

I agree that back covers should be scanned and displayed. Another thing I would like to see is the date the book sold. If I saw a book that was sold last week, I would consider the sale price to be representative regarding prices of the same book in the same grade. However, if I saw a book was sold 12 months ago, then no so much....

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

On 3/31/2020 at 10:22 PM, Dark Knight said:

I noticed in their main page at the comics for sale section that the Bat 1 and Hulk 1 both have met the buy it now price with the best offer option, but for some reason they are not "sold." 

Yes, I noticed that too. I imagine these are sold since the highest offer has matched the "Buy Now" price but (shrug)

Confusing. It should default to some kind of "sold" unless they are awaiting settlement of funds on original offer?...double (shrug)  (shrug)

Who else has been getting 5 e-mails a day from Link. :makepoint: This is just a huge waste of e-mail time...………. Auction ending e-mail 5 a day from when I leave at 8am and get back at 7pm. how long does this Auction take to End...…………….. I now for the last 3 days been getting 5 e-mails a day saying  CERTIFIEDLink. Really I dont care but 10%   Just Venting

6 hours ago, woowoo said:

Who else has been getting 5 e-mails a day from Link. :makepoint: This is just a huge waste of e-mail time...………. Auction ending e-mail 5 a day from when I leave at 8am and get back at 7pm. how long does this Auction take to End...…………….. I now for the last 3 days been getting 5 e-mails a day saying  CERTIFIEDLink. Really I dont care but 10%   Just Venting

YES! And I’ve long passed the point where I even bother to open them. Bronze Age books or game worn jerseys

but woowoo, what I want to know is where on earth you go and do every day from 8 am to 7 pm!!??

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

YES! And I’ve long passed the point where I even bother to open them. Bronze Age books or game worn jerseys

but woowoo, what I want to know is where on earth you go and do every day from 8 am to 7 pm!!??

I have a shop. I am a Mechanic and things been slow but doing a 96 Buick Regal last 8 days. I Love working on the New cars 2000 and above they tell you what is wrong. I have to break the old stuff all the way down to find out. This thing never ran hot but the overflow tank would Boil hot so after trying everything from Cap thermostat Fan I just went to the Head gasket. @GreatCaesarsGhost can I read your Batman 1

Photo216.jpg

This is how us car guys to the left and to the right stay safe.403048572_Carguys.jpg.501c80651a0fa862d64b70fdf99ab55c.jpg

Edited by woowoo

7 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I have a shop. I am a Mechanic and things been slow but doing a 96 Buick Regal last 8 days. I Love working on the New cars 2000 and above they tell you what is wrong. I have to break the old stuff all the way down to find out. This thing never ran hot but the overflow tank would Boil hot so after trying everything from Cap thermostat Fan I just went to the Head gasket. @GreatCaesarsGhost can I read your Batman 1

Photo216.jpg

This is how use car guys to the left and to the right stay safe.403048572_Carguys.jpg.501c80651a0fa862d64b70fdf99ab55c.jpg

thats funny woowoo. now . . . NO BAT 1 FOR YOU