• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Actual 10 Best Comic Artists Ever By Category
2 2

68 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2020 at 5:29 PM, Chuck Gower said:

Overall: Moebius, John Romita Sr.

Cover Artist: Moebius, John Romita Sr., early Jim Starlin, Dan DeCarlo

Storytelling: Moebius, John Romita Sr., early Jim Starlin, Harry Lucey

Oddball: Moebius, Robert Crumb, Richard Corben, Charles Burns, Dan Clowes

Happy to see a nod for Burns here. Oddball indeed, but since I even have his work as my icon, clearly an opinion I agree with!

1 hour ago, Qalyar said:

Happy to see a nod for Burns here. Oddball indeed, but since I even have his work as my icon, clearly an opinion I agree with!

I got to meet him in Minnesota a few years ago and I asked him if he was influenced directly by John Romita Sr.'s ink brush work and he smiled and said I was one of the only people who'd ever asked him that, but yes, a huge influence on his style. He was cool as hell. 

40 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I got to meet him in Minnesota a few years ago and I asked him if he was influenced directly by John Romita Sr.'s ink brush work and he smiled and said I was one of the only people who'd ever asked him that, but yes, a huge influence on his style. He was cool as hell. 

That’s interesting.  I could only ever see an Al Feldstein influence. Great artist.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

That’s interesting.  I could only ever see an Al Feldstein influence. Great artist.

Where I got it from is that when I was 10-11 years old, I tried drawing Spider-man, and, unaware that brushes were used I tried to draw the inking style with a pen. Drawing in the jagged lines. There was just something about Romita's inking style that always stayed with me... and I somewhat made the connection after reading Charles Burns 'Black Hole' some 20 years later... when I found out he was a huge fan of the Romance genre (that Romita worked in for 7 years at DC) while being interviewed about his X'ed Out trilogy of books, I figured it out. And then I asked him, when I saw him. 

I definitely can see the Feldstein comparison though... both creatively imaginative and quirky in their style...

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 2.20.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 2.14.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 2.19.12 AM.png

You guys have a ton of great artists in this thread, but in my opinion.  When you talk of the greatest of the great there is a much shorter list for me.

Frazetta 

Sanjulian 

Joe Kubert

Jack Kirby

Bernie Wrightson

These are the guys that move me with their art.

With Frazetta there seems to be life on the canvas,movement,an air of sexiness. It flows as if it were moving as you look at it. THAT is a talent!

Wrightson is so detailed,  and the work is intense. You can look at his work over and over again and see something different every time.

Just amazing. 

Kuberts art is like being with that scared soldier in the foxhole. His war work is truly a gift from God.

Kirby- Nuff said

Sanjulians abstract work on many horror art is truly amazing. 

Edited by oakman29