• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold #28

28 posts in this topic

After that movie a lot of collector dollars, shifted out of DC. It was not just BB28, but basically only SC22 and Adventure 247 were spared from DC's listing in the OPG top 50. If you look at the insane run up on SC4, and you can see it here on the SC4 thread. A lot of collectors who I think were basically introduced thru Marvel and are Marvel fans at heart were grabbing it. It may have been the only Flash in there collection. I think BB28 is still a good buy especially now, but only if you want that book. If you like or have ever liked JLA, have ever read a classic JLA story. A lot of collectors/speculators have unloaded or trying to unload a lot of those aforementioned DC keys. Slabbed books are now collectables and are at the whim on the current lot of collectors. I think a lot of DC minor keys survived the adjustment. People who buy JLA 21 & 22 almost all have read the story, and many others of the multiverse, Crisis etc. Another two which are untouched but not on the OPG top 50 are Tec 359, and Batman 181, first Batgirl and Posion Ivy.

That movie was not that bad and 600M would normally get people excited, but it will always be compared with Avengers (and picking that story line - invaders from space makes that natural). The expectation however was much higher than the reality, especially after WW.

5 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

. I can't get over how seemingly Marvel-focused the market is.

The movie effect. This year will be a mess movie wise, but I was wondering how such a massive build up Endgame was, if that Buzz could continue. I also think many collectors are Bronze age marvel fans. Read them in the 70s now have money to play with, as mortgages raising kids is out of the way. I guess it still comes back buy what you love. i have met many Marvel fans here who have never read a DC comic. can't remember ever talking to a DC fan who has not read a Marvel comic. The fandom is different Take the out pouring of grief when Stan died, from people who had never heard of Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko

7 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Seriously DC should get more respect.

I would say it's a great time to be buying DCs as you can acquire some high end copies of certain DCs cheap.  I've always been a huge DC fan but one thing that's been proven is that Marvels are so far and away king it's not even close.  BB 28 has hit the skids pretty bad these days.  if you're a collector holding for long term, it's a great buy.

After I completed the Marvel keys, it was natural to move to seeking the big DC books. I had fun putting together my low grade DCs, even tho I had no real connection to them. Sadly they were among the very first to go when I started selling. I only kept one “key” book.

84437179-F3B5-446C-A7B3-2C547B54BEB8.thumb.jpeg.80433eff0c2b3779b9fa8822d0d7b508.jpeg

But, they’re so cheap now, I couldn’t resist adding this one! 
3D5C6D67-F4F3-4A35-B703-B2550DB9DE4C.thumb.jpeg.644f3b0050f7c632e4482391b9943681.jpeg

13 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Yeah I do not see BB28 going any lower in value. In the long run I think it will do well. It is conic and a top 10 SA key.

I actually don't think it's a top 10 key, maybe for DCs it would be but overall, I think there are others ahead of it.  most of the team books never crack the top 10 with the exception of the FF -- but I've always loved BB 28.  the problem is that it's very common in 6.0 and below.  even 7.0 it's pretty common.  8.0 and better is where most DCs get scarce and then it becomes much more competitive.  Showcase 4 also had an unnatural run up and now is falling back to earth.  I don't see DCs turning back and heading up any time soon, especially given the current state of the market.  Again, Showcase 22 and maybe a few others are exempt.  But like Action 252 and many other key DCs that had huge run ups, things are now starting to come back to earth.  As the economic impact starts to be felt, I think we're really going to see some cuts in prices.  

15 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

I would say it's a great time to be buying DCs as you can acquire some high end copies of certain DCs cheap.  I've always been a huge DC fan but one thing that's been proven is that Marvels are so far and away king it's not even close.  BB 28 has hit the skids pretty bad these days.  if you're a collector holding for long term, it's a great buy.

Agreed - B&B 28 in particular is really affordable right now considering how key a book it is.  If you can get it, I would say go for it.  Marvels rule the collecting world, but this book will get its due again in the future.

13 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Yeah I do not see BB28 going any lower in value. In the long run I think it will do well. It is conic and a top 10 SA key.

BB 28 is a blue chip Silver Age key. Keep in mind that there are speculators jumping from book to book to manipulate and drive up the prices. There are even a few characters that will buy multiple copies of a key and manipulate the prices through shenanigan sales. The best of this hobby is about the history of Silver Age books like BB 28 and what these books represent. BB 28 will always have its place in comic book history. 

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

I actually don't think it's a top 10 key, maybe for DCs it would be but overall, I think there are others ahead of it.  most of the team books never crack the top 10 with the exception of the FF -- but I've always loved BB 28.  the problem is that it's very common in 6.0 and below.  even 7.0 it's pretty common.  8.0 and better is where most DCs get scarce and then it becomes much more competitive.  Showcase 4 also had an unnatural run up and now is falling back to earth.  I don't see DCs turning back and heading up any time soon, especially given the current state of the market.  Again, Showcase 22 and maybe a few others are exempt.  But like Action 252 and many other key DCs that had huge run ups, things are now starting to come back to earth.  As the economic impact starts to be felt, I think we're really going to see some cuts in prices.  

Brian is right.  SA DC sucks.  The average SA collector would rather have the first appearance of the Vision in 9.0 than the first appearance of the JLA in 9.4.  And rightfully so.

SA DC prices should plunge! 

DC is much harder to find and less desirable but the demand is with Marvel, thanks to all the movies.  However, if a book is getting expensive that was cheap before any kind of movie/TV show  (SME 15 as an example) That's a huge red flag to run away from that book since it's not sustainable in the long term. I have more faith in a BB 28 long term since people wanted that book, regardless of any movie hype attached to it. We live in a throw away society, So "that movie was terrible, time to sell my SME 15"  attitude comes into play,  If you're still invested in SA DC's, try and buy the highest grade you can afford or make upgrades later. Some DC's are super expensive in any grade like an Action 242, Showcase 22 or an Adventure 247, so buying an 8.0+ is out of reach for most collectors.      

Edited by Kevin76

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Brian is right.  SA DC sucks.  The average SA collector would rather have the first appearance of the Vision in 9.0 than the first appearance of the JLA in 9.4.  And rightfully so.

People who do think like that aren't investing in comics, they are marvel fanboys who want to crack open a 100k slab so they can read it.  haha  

Edited by Kevin76

7 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

I admit that I've always had a love for Marvel and the SA DC books were never as high up for me; that said, I still wanted to pick them up. It's just that the pricing never seemed to align with my wallet. Now, however, I've seen a few copies going for prices that seem pretty attainable, so it's had me thinking...

4 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

People who do think like that aren't investing in comics, they are marvel fanboys who want to crack open a 100k slab so they can read it.  haha  

Tim is being facetious -- he loves DC -- so do I, but the market is the market right now.  

They're definitely tougher books in HG, but the demand just isn't the same as Marvel SA.  

Some great Gil Kane art on the Atom books but the stories are so stupid.  Same with (even more) with Murphy Anderson Hawkman/B&B.  Just not important enough characters for people to go nuts over (ie, they don't have a movie).  

34 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

Tim is being facetious -- he loves DC -- so do I, but the market is the market right now.  

I love all comics, from GA to Moderns, Marvel and DC.  I don't know Tim's humor because I don't know Tim :)  Thanks for the explanation though

11 hours ago, Kevin76 said:
14 hours ago, tth2 said:

Marvel fanboys ARE the average SA collector.  They wouldn't be caught dead owning a DC.

And they're right! Spidey forever! 

The thing that I love most about collecting SA Marvels is that it's so easy.  

I like to be able to snap my fingers, write a check and immediately have a complete ASM run in 9.6 or better by tomorrow.  Challenges are for suckers!